ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 Trials  (Read 42588 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP1 Trials
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, rack cases come in different depths, but the main 2 I've seen is short, fine if your units aren't very deep and handle MP1/2 fine, or deep, a bit longer to fit deeper units.  One advantage of deeper racks is room for a powerboard etc. but then they are larger.  When I was buying a smallish rack to put PA stuff in, I went back to the shop 3 times to get it right as the dual 31 band eq is older and deeper and I needed 6 RU but started with a 4 RU  :facepalm: then decided to put more shit in it.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

ok so been playing this at rehearsal for a few weeks now properly and I'm loving it.  Did my first gig with it on Saturday.

Couldn't help feel it was a little too polite though than what I use normally for some of the faster thrashier number.  It's sweet and tasty and has all the nice stuff but I felt I was missing crunch in the distortion area.  It also fed back way more than it does in our rehearsal room so sticking an OD infront from the Boss GT5 will probably make it even more of a feedback bitch live.

Peavey Rockmaster with shed loads more distortion has no issues like this and it was at the same venue.  I could control MP1s feedback but just about.  And that probably rules out adding another gain stage.

Here is proof i used it!!  I felt proud using it :)  I know it makes me a legend tone chasing headbanger from Ireland using the MP1. 

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I don't have a GT-5 but doesn't it have a built in noise suppressor in the global menu? If not or if it isn't very good add a boss NS2 or ISP decimator. With my NS2 I can gain stage my boss eq> Boss SD1 > TS9 > amp input. It quiets all hum and feedback from pick ups to amp input. You could also run it in the loop of the MP1 if that is your cause of feedback. There are a few ways you can route it, one way you can have it up front and in the loop.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Oh it does man, and I have it on.  But I don't care what anyone says, any noise reduction device no matter how good, if the threshold is up to high it eats into the tone.  I can't remember what I have mine set at for those patches I use for external preamps going via the loop.  Might be quite low, so may be I can bump it up a little more.  I try never to go past 50 (out of a range of 100).

I was thinking perhaps the tubes were done since it is the originals in my mp1 and they've lasted for 2o something years and also taken a plane ride across the Atlantic.  Might be time to change them.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

50 is quite low,mostly my gates are at 70 to 80%.Another problem might be the setup you use MP-1 with the GT-5,too many wires.An all rack setup is better so you can go straight into the mp-1.

Soloist

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I run my threshold about 65-70% for higher gain patches, I still get nice delay repeats and no choked tone.
I agree an improperly set gate will castrate the balls off your tone! :facepalm:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Of course a gate too high will kill it all.  I'd never put it behind a delay though as it would defo kill that.  Soloist do you put your gate at the end of the chain?  I only stick it after the preamp or what ever it is that causes distortion.

MJMP, perhaps it's the cables, but as I mention I use it ok at band practice, and I use other rack gear with higher settings than the MP1 fine as well.  Also the patch isn't extreme hi gain, well I don't think so.  I thought I had posted it on here I will check.

SC actually suggested doing the noise mod.  I might look into that and replace the tubes that are about 26-7 years old probably.

EDIT:  Here is the patch

OD1 6.5
OD2 6
Master Vol 5.5
Bass -2
Mid 0
Trebel 2
Presence 4
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Is this the 3TM or the standard mp-1 you have?

Soloist

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Of course a gate too high will kill it all.  I'd never put it behind a delay though as it would defo kill that.  Soloist do you put your gate at the end of the chain?  I only stick it after the preamp or what ever it is that causes distortion.

Well......I actually run 2 gates. The first gate is an NS2 it is first in my signal chain. My dirt pedals run thru it's loop. My second gate is the one built into my G Major2 and it is last in the chain before my power amp. The second gate I only use for extreme high gain patches with a really low setting. However the second gain is before my effects. So gate 1 covers my pick ups and OD pedals, gate 2 covers my preamps gain. Kinda screwy but it works great.

You patch is not extreme gain. I don't need to gate my MP-1 until OD1 or OD is above 8 or my Master is at 8.5 or higher.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Is this the 3TM or the standard mp-1 you have?

I have both, did you forget?

But I am talking about the standard here.  3TM is staying in studio until the time is right  :thumb-up:One thing at a time I say.

Well......I actually run 2 gates. The first gate is an NS2 it is first in my signal chain. My dirt pedals run thru it's loop. My second gate is the one built into my G Major2 and it is last in the chain before my power amp. The second gate I only use for extreme high gain patches with a really low setting. However the second gain is before my effects. So gate 1 covers my pick ups and OD pedals, gate 2 covers my preamps gain. Kinda screwy but it works great.

You patch is not extreme gain. I don't need to gate my MP-1 until OD1 or OD is above 8 or my Master is at 8.5 or higher.

I'm not saying my setup is very basic, but your set up is way too complex for me. 

It's bad enough having to set up stuff for stereo never mind have two seperate gates to work.  I find it really hard to get what I use on and off the stage in 15minute as it is.  Perhaps yopu have longer for band change over in the USA?  If I had all night to set up at gigs I wouldn't give a f*ck.  No road crew either so it's all about getting on as fast as possible, and getting off just as fast.  Festivals it's even more crucial.  And it's not helped when the other band is trying to set up their shit on top of you!

Soloist

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

It's not as complicated as it looks. I have 3 gate settings stored in my GM2, I run through each real quick during sound check and then I know which to use for that venue. 1 rack, 1 pedalboard, 2 2x12 cabs. 8 cables(2 speaker,1 midi,4 inst. 1 wireless.)Sets up in under 10 minutes without any roadies. :metal:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

It's not as complicated as it looks. I have 3 gate settings stored in my GM2, I run through each real quick during sound check and then I know which to use for that venue. 1 rack, 1 pedalboard, 2 2x12 cabs. 8 cables(2 speaker,1 midi,4 inst. 1 wireless.)Sets up in under 10 minutes without any roadies. :metal:
lol set up in 10mins?

Bullshit!!  I don't believe you  :lol:

It is venue dependent I guess as some places are easy to get to.  Some places do not have any backstage area and your literally carrying gear through the crowd and also some drummers don't have as many cymbals and stands as our drummer.

I dunno how long it takes me really
but it's generally a 15min change over in UK  so I get it done within this time.  I don't throw anything off stage (not even a cable) either  ;D

It's still tight sometimes as other bands are f**king about!

I have about 6 x cables, not including speaker cables for cabs  so add another 2 and thats 8 cables.  2 x amps either side of the stage plus 2 power cables.  1 x floor FX unit with control pedal seperate and now a rack unit.  Is that more or the same as you?

Soloist

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

yeah that's about the same. The only time it takes me longer is for an outdoor venue. :facepalm: It also helps that we usually go on last, set up is quick and we can take our time with tear down. Keep in mind I do not set up all the stacks only my rig. On really large gigs it takes a lot longer.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Jeez what kind of venues do you play man that their are tables and chairs at the front?  Normally see them if any at the back or sides.

You go on last mostly?  So are you guys big then and paid your dues already moving up the ranks? 

It depends with us.  If we're supporting big touring bands locally then of course we go on before.  It really depends.  At our single launch obviously it will be us last but despite having played for nearly ten years in Ireland it's taken so long to even get recognised here and our country is a foot note compared to your country.  We had to fight through about 5-6 years of extreme metal being the favoured style over here before we even started to get praise.  Then suddenly we supported Hell at an indoor festival type show case a few years ago and suddenly things started to look up.  Still a lot of shit we have to put up with usually though.

No pay, no backstage area, playing second fiddle to shite bands lol.

Soloist

« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

That's the Whiskey River Saloon, we were there in September. Med size bar, 495 person capacity. I thought the tables up front was odd, usually it's a dance floor or mosh pit... :metal: anyways the tables were gone by the second song.
We've been hammering this area hard since about 92, so were well known..... locally at least. :lol:
It took us a while to get any support and recognition, we just kept plugging away.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up