ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm back! and with New Mods.  (Read 8838 times)

RobbHell

I'm back! and with New Mods.
« on: Time Format »

Hello all ADA users. Im so glad to see the ADA DEPOT is back up and running. I've been part of the group since begining, I even still have a Hairston ADA.
Well since the down time of the ADA DEPOT I  have been collecting mp1's and working on some ideas I have had floating around in my head. What I've come up with is what I can the Engl Powellball/Mark 3. Owning a Mesa and  a Powerball I felt I had comparisons to judge with. I would like to Thank MarshallJMP and their are a few others that have helped me to get to this point and if it were not for your work I wouldn't able to mod my mp1's the way I do.

Im not really a fan of trimpots so I took a 3TM board and removed the trimpots and replaced them with values I like. There's basis for high gain distortion. Then I completely change all of the EQ Point of the Mp1 and changed them.to be more of a Powerball/Mark 3. I removed the 9v power jack for powering the floor changer and have installed a toggle to be able to have a Low Cut or Low Boost just like the Powerball! It sounds sick as hell and Ive never heard an Mp1 sound this brutal and I've been an ADA user for 17 years. The Mp1 has and will always be my main preamp until I make one from scratch.

Dna^Yay

Re: I'm back! and with New Mods.
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Post up some tracks and videos, it would be great to hear what it sounds like!!!

RobbHell

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ill try to lay down some Riffs with DFH. I'm working with some friends to build a website and show case my work. Your heads gonna spin once you hear. Swapped out a ton of IC's as well out of the unit.

Dna^Yay

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Sweet am looking forward to it!!! What did you swap out?

At the moment iv done the MDRT and Noise mod. Bought some components to redo the stock tube board with new components to quieten the noise, might change 2 resistors to make it the stock gain mod. Also bought a few 2604`s NE5532 2134 and a MC33709.

I am still debating what to do with the effects loop as some people say it is terrible, an issue i noticed with mine was when turning the level at the back made it quieter even though i was turning it up  :dunno: . Was thinking about getting a TC 1128 eq in there so i can leave the MP1s eq flat and do all the sculpting with the 28 band eq instead to help me get ENGL tones.

Hopefully it will sound better, otherwise i think il look into getting an ENGL e530 or dare i say it an Axe FX

RobbHell

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Awesome work! Good god don't buy an Engl or AxeFx. The Powerball preamp section still needs work. Most of Engl heads here run something in front or in the effects loop. Was using the Engl to try something different but still needed up modding my Mp1 to blow both my amps out of the water.

Good move with the 2604's youll be happy. Throw one in the Effects Loop too. I.also have a slightly updated Noise Mod. Don't wanna step on toes here but I have done a lot of work and testing... I don't even use my Hairston 3TM because my improvement blow that unit out of the water. I use it to compare my work to.

RandallRG

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Yeah Dude would love to hear what it sounds like! I am very Heavy into the M-E-T-A-L & I just recently picked up a 3.666 Modded MP-1 & I love it! Check your pm...Thanks Dude & Take it easy!  Steve :metal:

Dna^Yay

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I was looking at the Engl e530 preamp but without trying it, would be a risk to just buy one.

Yeah i bought 3 so i think i will have to chop and change where to put them, there is one in U4 when i did the noise mod. I hear a few guys on here have gone all out and replaced all the ICs. Was going to change the U9 IC and a bunch of RC4559P chips located in the middle of the board. The whole opamps confused the hell out of me since i have never messed around with these kind of electronics before. I heard that changing the opamps not only improves noise but removes the (blanket) sound some say that covers the speakers and i can kinda hear that.

I think its awesome that there is still a good scene behind the MP1 and there are people who want to constantly improve it. I bought mine years ago being a Paul Gilbert fanboy not knowing much about it and its only recently that i have started to really understand the amp with the help from everyone on here. I nearly gave in to just selling it and getting a modern day amp because of all the problems it has caused me, but hopefully with enough perseverance this thing will eventually be finished and be able to rip peoples faces off!!  :metal:

RobbHell

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The Engl Special Edition Preamp is Midi programmable like the ADA. A fully modded ADA  will crush a Engl E530.I've done it before lol... I showed up to a gig running my 3TM and Mesa 2/90 and a brother band showed up a he was running a Engl e530 and a Mesa 2/90 as well.  3TM beat the Engls tone hands down and the pinch harmonics are epic.

El Chiguete

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

PM sent!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

The Engl Special Edition Preamp is Midi programmable like the ADA. A fully modded ADA  will crush a Engl E530.I've done it before lol... I showed up to a gig running my 3TM and Mesa 2/90 and a brother band showed up a he was running a Engl e530 and a Mesa 2/90 as well.  3TM beat the Engls tone hands down and the pinch harmonics are epic.
Doesn't surprise me, I was thinking last night (as my MP2 is getting old(er)) what can I get to replace it if it dies... there' nothing anywhere near as good, we need an MP3
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Robb did you get my PM? you just can't come and tease us with the mods and then don't say more! jeje.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

RobbHell

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Sorry about the wait. I have been so busy with my job and working on an ADA with custom mods for a new client. Hopefully after the 18th I can start recording clips for you all to hear. With the IC's don't worry about going overboard with them. Just the ones in the signal path. As long as your replace ypur power caps and raise switch drom 10uf to 33-35 uf on the tube board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up