ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SERIOUS G.A.S this month.  (Read 39671 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: SERIOUS G.A.S this month.
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Yeah we are a bit starved here.  The ADA importer was Pro Audio here in Canberra. I think it just made sense to make the cabs here and save on shipping weight, the early cabs were imported though and it seems I have one of them but with different speakers ??
When I went buy my splitstacks (way back when..) they had the cabs but no Celetion 8ohm, only 16ohm and I wanted each cab to be 4 ohm to get the most out of my B200s.  But they had the boogie celetion 90w in 8ohm, deal done, otherwise I would have waited weeks for the speakers... The upside of a fully imported box, it "has" speakers in it LoL.

The JBL D-120s do sound good as do the Altecs (from the youtube clip).  I have a pair of Altec 15"s which I fantasize having one a side under the splitstacks  >:D , but I need to build boxes for them, and then, lug them  :facepalm:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Richard,

Definitely you didn't get the original speakers in that cab. They came with 50 watt Celestions, and they are 16 Ohm. The original concept for those cabs at the time was to set up stereo isolation cabs in a Marshall 4x12 configuration. They were counting on people using the cabs in pairs, but with stereo rigs. However, if you wanted to use them as mono cabs, You could by simply connecting the two cabs with a short speaker cable that would set them up as series/parallel cabs like the original design.

Yes, JBL D-120's would be a very nice replacement set I think. This is why I was also looking at the Beyma Liberty 8's which are supposed to be an exact clone of these speakers. Most of the JBL's I see for sale have been re-coned. I suspect that the re-coned ones have lost some of the original Mojo, which is why they are for sale.
   I can personally vouch for the Altecs though, but I use them in my old Fender cabs from the 60's and 70's. The best sounding cab with those is the cab from the mid-70's, which looks like a small 4x12 cab, but it has only two speakers in it. The reason it sounds so good is because the enclosure is six cubic feet which is the ideal size for 2x12's. The Split-Stacks are about 3.6 cubic feet of enclosure, which is about the size of the 60's 2x12 Fender cab I have the other pair in. They still sound good, but don't project the full range as well as the larger cab. I lose a bit of the bottom end with the smaller cabs, so I suspect the same will happen in the ADA cabs.
    Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

I use the single cab as a easier to lug option, having it wired stereo I get a bit of comb filtering as there is no internal separation between the speakers but it's more convenient just taking one box. And I plan to do a 3 split stack setup with my Marshall 50 mono into that cab and the other 2 split stacks either side (so wet/dry setup).  An ultimately have the 2 Altec 15s underneath it all  >:D

Chamai

« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

man i feel like an idiot.

i forgot to plug my speaker cab into the amp and started to play. hopefully i didn't blew anything. this is not the first time.

anyway to find out if the messed up the output transformer or not?

the volume did fade a bit and came to normal after.. damn.

everything sounds fine now though.

did this last time to my jcm 800 too.. i plugged the head into another head..
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Depends on how long it ran without loud and how loud you set it.

Chamai

« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Less than 10 seconds. Volume at1 and 3 max. I did play a chord though.. just tested everything. Its good. I put labels on all my cable ends now.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Mmm that won't give a problem.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

@ Chamai,
     The JMP-1 only has a higher price tag because of the name...I certainly isn't because of the tone :nono:
            Harley 8)

While I love the tone of my MP1 and MP2 the Marshall JMP1 has a tone of its own that my ADA cant reproduce. Authentic Marshall tone :metal: Nothing gives you a Marshall tone like a Marshall, and nothing gives you an ADA MP1 tone like an MP1. They are two entirely different beasts. I agree you are correct saying it costs more because it says Marshall on it, however tone is a matter opinion and we all know opinions are like assholes, everyone has one :lol:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Ohhhh.... I don't know, maybe if you swapped the 12AX7 tubes in the MP-1 for a pair of 12AU7's and tweaked the EQ cutting out the bass frequencies, it could probably reproduce the JMP-1 tones.
    You're right about opinions though, and they all stink don't they? :lol:

Harley 8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

Ohhhh.... I don't know, maybe if you swapped the 12AX7 tubes in the MP-1 for a pair of 12AU7's and tweaked the EQ cutting out the bass frequencies, it could probably reproduce the JMP-1 tones.
    You're right about opinions though, and they all stink don't they? :lol:

Harley 8)

I'm with Harley on this one, I've been able to 'clone' other amps' sounds pretty dang accurately with my MP-2. My MP-1 Classic really reminds me of a hot-rodded Marshall in many forms. BTW, my backup amp is a Marshall combo with my MP-2 plugged in ;) wait 10 minutes, that'll change

My point is, my MP-1 Classic can get very Marshally in tone. It can also (almost) reach the Boogie spectrum. Way more flexible and portable than carrying amp heads around, IMO
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Soloist

« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Not to be a d*ck but sounding pretty close and authentic is not the same, and yes I use my MP2 to clone a couple of amp tones myself the 5150 for example. Real believable tone and cheaper than buying a 5150 head! The JMP is much the same in you can get it to sound like any Marshall. Not just a modded JCM or Plexi but several models of Marshall. 100 Marshalls at your fingertips in a 1ru  :thumb-up:
** TIP ** JMP1 sound like  :poop: if used with a solid state power amp. Most have tube power!!

I don't have an MP1 Classic so I cannot comment on that but, wait 10 minutes, that'll change...hahaha sooo true!  :lol:

Anyways I see alot of "pro's" still running a JMP1's in their rig for live arena shows, that says a lot for the pre. I only use a couple stand alone presets on mine, but mix it with my MP1 and you have instant wall of sound. :metal: :metal: (I use that as my signature tone.)
I do like my ADA's best but out of the mounds of pre's I have tried in my day, I rank the JMP1 in the top 5.

My tone chasing may vary from yours but who wants to sound the same anyways!   :nono: Although you cant help but have little bits here and there in your tone and style that reflect your influences. :bow:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

The 12AU7s is an interesting idea.  IIRC others have tried a 12AU7 with a 12AX7 in their MP1, but I've not heard of doing both tubes. Again IIRC the 12AU7s are a gain of ~20 compared the 12AX7s which are 100 (or 110 when selected for high gain  >:D ), so significantly less gain, and often used in tube line input stages.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

@ Richard;
   I was just kidding about putting 12AU7's in the MP-1. There's really no need to since it already does pristine clean tones very well as is.
   You know, I never really thought about it before but the Classic does seem to lean more towards the Marshall side of things than the original MP-1. I have gotten several comments in the past about how my rig sounded like a few Marshall tones.

@ Soloist;
   I remember the day I auditioned the JMP-1 in the store I was at because that was where I was able to compare that with the MP-1 Classic. Both preamps were current at the time, and I know the poweramp they plugged me into was one of the Marshall Mono Block models, but I don't recall if it was the 9100 or 9200 model. They had that amp hooked up to a Marshall 4x12 cab for that audition.
   I'm not sure if the JMP-1 was just a display model of a used one, but I remember spending a good amount of time with it trying to find some good factory tones that would strike a chord with me, (no pun intended). I had some pretty high expectations from that piece of equipment, but in the end, I had found only one preset in there that sounded fairly workable and that was only when I pressed the Bass Boost button with it. For the most part, the other presets I sampled were very thin and weak sounding. Maybe there was something wrong with particular preamp?
   In any event, they hooked up the Classic to that rig, and there was a big difference in the presence, and body of the guitar tone, and that was the day I bought my 2nd Classic! I was really disappointed at the JMP-1. I guess I was expecting to hear more of what you describe that you get from it, but I just didn't hear it from that preamp that day.

Harley 8)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

Soloist

« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

I got to get me a MP1 classic. Make it a complete family in my rack :whoohoo!:
The problem with a store demo is sometimes some jackhole messing around with it before you sets it up like shit.
One problem with the Jmp is you can overwrite any factory presets. So if someone did that before you checked it out, it was doomed from the start.
I use 2 factory presets and 2 custom on mine. Nothing clean, a mild distortion, a modded plexi rhythm,  hi gain rhythm and a searing lead.
Some presets do sound a bit thin. I originally got mine to cover some Iron Maiden but Adrian's patch needed some tweaking for it to sound right to me. Also sounds great for
Def Leppard High and Dry tracks.
The addition of the BBE maximixer really brings out the growl in it as well.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

@ Soloist,

That's an interesting thought. I don't know if anyone messed around with the factory presets when I auditioned the JMP-1. It was mounted in a small rack case with a few other preamps that were out at the time, one of which was the Classic.
   As a programmable preamp, I'm sure it has to have a way to reset all it's patches back to factory settings, but without the manual at that moment, I wouldn't have known how. It is a possibility though. 
    I do remember trying edit one or two of the patches in the store when I was playing through it, to see how tweaks would affect it, but IIRC, I couldn't get it to go into edit mode for some reason.
    I always try to do a few tweaks when I'm checking out something like that so I can get a better idea of how much of a range I would have to work with in a program.

I don't know...maybe if I come across one of those for a good deal, I might pick it up just to give it a thorough run through, and see what it could really do with some fresh tubes in it.

Harley 8)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up