ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Racks and Planes  (Read 34080 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Racks and Planes
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Gerry,

I hear ya. I'm torn between the idea that the rack would cost as much as (or more than) the gear inside, but then I remember this:

I bought a second MP-2 as a backup, because this gear is old and not to be trusted...have a backup. Well, the 2nd MP-2 never did sound the same as the first. I'm not technical by any means, so I can't tell you if anything had been modified inside, but I do know that I used the same tubes and the same settings, but never got that 2nd one to sound the same. It sounded good...but it wasn't the same. I traded it for a very nice guitar with a former member of the Depot, Randall Haney (R.I.P.)

Anyway...back to the point...if you like the sound of the gear you have, do NOT take for granted that you will be able to capture that sound with 'identical' gear. I'm not willing to take any chances, I'll protect it...but I'm only using 2 rack spaces, much more affordable. Cheap insurance in my mind (the price of decent combo amp - or a backup guitar).

You'll notice (in the pix below), I have no shock mount cases of my own (I don't fly with my rig, but if I did....)

If I were forced to fly with my rack, I'd take the 2u rack & use their backline. I have my pedals, cables, and mics in an old suitcase that nobody would want to steal (it cost me $6 at the thrift store, I bought two - have a backup). The amp shown is my Boogie DC-5 (50w 1x12). Just add guitars  :banana-guitar:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Gerry,

I hear ya. I'm torn between the idea that the rack would cost as much as (or more than) the gear inside, but then I remember this:

I bought a second MP-2 as a backup, because this gear is old and not to be trusted...have a backup. Well, the 2nd MP-2 never did sound the same as the first. I'm not technical by any means, so I can't tell you if anything had been modified inside, but I do know that I used the same tubes and the same settings, but never got that 2nd one to sound the same. It sounded good...but it wasn't the same. I traded it for a very nice guitar with a former member of the Depot, Randall Haney (R.I.P.)

Anyway...back to the point...if you like the sound of the gear you have, do NOT take for granted that you will be able to capture that sound with 'identical' gear. I'm not willing to take any chances, I'll protect it...but I'm only using 2 rack spaces, much more affordable. Cheap insurance in my mind (the price of decent combo amp - or a backup guitar).

You'll notice (in the pix below), I have no shock mount cases of my own (I don't fly with my rig, but if I did....)

If I were forced to fly with my rack, I'd take the 2u rack & use their backline. I have my pedals, cables, and mics in an old suitcase that nobody would want to steal (it cost me $6 at the thrift store, I bought two - have a backup). The amp shown is my Boogie DC-5 (50w 1x12). Just add guitars  :banana-guitar:

yeah I have actually experienced this with ADA mp1 already haha  my first one sounded like crap!  I sold it and now I have a standard and the 3TM.  I will be absolutley honest, I haven't even implemented either into a live rig yet.  I've tried and got nothing but feedback, but we'll talk about that in another thread possibly :facepalm: 

Anyways so I have a 3 rack case, just like yours, ABS, no shock mount.  If you went on a plane would you take it just as it is in the ABS case?  I know it would be fine in there, but it's the vibrations I'm worried about shaking internal components.

Dante, do you still use the GX700?

I took my GT5 in a bag that it fits into perfectly and all my cabels went into that.  So if I were to travel on plane I would take my 3 unit rack (one way or another), a guitar, MFX in bag with cables.  I always use other bands backline.  That is the nature of playing these days, well certainly in my experience.  I always use others cabs.  Some good, some fizzy crap!!

There is certainly a lot to think about here.  I get that I may never be able to totally take my signature tone everywhere or recreate exactly the sound but it's worth getting close I feel.  I suppose a large part comes from the guitar really and the playing.  I wonder could I take a 3U rack in as hand luggage?  ???
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I still use the GX-700, in fact I have two (have a backup)

If i had to fly, I'd probably carry my guitars as carry-on luggage and buy a better rack. I don't think anything would happen to the SKB roto rack I have, but the preamp has been through a lot and is fragile in my mind.

If you have flight cases for your guitars, yeah, take the 3u rack on as carry-on luggage  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I still use the GX-700, in fact I have two (have a backup)

If i had to fly, I'd probably carry my guitars as carry-on luggage and buy a better rack. I don't think anything would happen to the SKB roto rack I have, but the preamp has been through a lot and is fragile in my mind.

If you have flight cases for your guitars, yeah, take the 3u rack on as carry-on luggage  :thumb-up:

I'd probably only ever take one guitar abroad with me.  They go into the hold no probs in an ABS flight case.  Wonder could I get the 3U on as hand luggage hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  means I could just book a case for clothes etc

I'll be in Holland and Germany and may be Belgium towards the end of the year for a few days at a time so it will be interesting to see if I can get the desired stuff with me when I do travel.

What way do you run your GX700 with your mp1?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Cabin baggage allowance is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, 6-8kg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_luggage

Hit me up for the German dates....I´ll come around and say hello ;-)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Cabin baggage allowance is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, 6-8kg

Hit me up for the German dates....I´ll come around and say hello ;-)

shit!  No rack as hand luggage then :(  it will weight 15-17kg)

Yeah man I'll let you know the cities we are playing in.  I can't remeber where at the moment since it's not until November.  It may be too far from where you live though.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Look up Wilhelmshaven in Germany and add a radius of 250km

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Ahh near the top.  My Brother lives in Bremen.  You may be able to go after all then I think we wont be that far away. 

You'd travel 250km to go watch an Irish Heavy Metal band :)  that's very good of you  ;)  Hopefully we get some new fan out there.  We have had good German reviews so far so I think Germans might like us.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Ahh near the top.  My Brother lives in Bremen.  You may be able to go after all then I think we wont be that far away. 

You'd travel 250km to go watch an Irish Heavy Metal band :)  that's very good of you  ;)  Hopefully we get some new fan out there.  We have had good German reviews so far so I think Germans might like us.

...for partying with the Irish?!? Sure!!! ...been there, done that, got the T-Shirt  8) 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Any idea where you will be playing in Belgium?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

...for partying with the Irish?!? Sure!!! ...been there, done that, got the T-Shirt  8) 8)

where did you find that lol?  you been hanging out with IRA members?

Any idea where you will be playing in Belgium?

Hey Marshall, not sure if Belgium is 100% yet but when I find out more I will of course let you know.  Our manager has mentioned it but it's going to come down to finance and time off work.  We played with Belgium band Prematory in Holland a few weeks back.  Good band but very generic for all their talent.  Not enough character.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

where did you find that lol?  you been hanging out with IRA members?

Naa, got it "down range" from some "co-workers" we used to party with on a regular basis ;)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

that's good for me!!  Let hope when I get to Germany and I play, and you can actually make the show, I will not be to tired to party!!   :banana-trip:

yeah sometimes when I play and carry all the shit back of stage I just want to shower and go to bed!  Anyone else get that? 

Na I should be in party mode SC :banana-rasta:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

If your gig up in northern Germany is within my AO I can bring my Triaxis/2:90 rig and set it up for you to play with/use

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

What way do you run your GX700 with your mp1?

I run the 4-cable method - which I'll explain later, as my rig is still in the back of my Jeep from the gig last night. I came home, put the guitars away, took a shower and went to bed. I'll unpack it and explain how it's routed. No worries

If your gig up in northern Germany is within my AO I can bring my Triaxis/2:90 rig and set it up for you to play with/use

Not THAT ^^ Sounds like an offer you can't refuse!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up