ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Racks and Planes  (Read 34082 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Racks and Planes
« on: Time Format »

So has anyone ever had to travel with their rack to another country via a plane?

I am now starting to play in other countries with my own band and I recently am just back from playing in Holland with the Belgium band Prematory.  I traveled light when I went to Holland and managed to take two little power amps (Crate Power Blocks) and my Boss GT5 as well as one guitar.  This was perfect as the venue was providing me with two 4 x 12" cabs and of course a drum kit for the drummer and bass amp and cab for the bassist.

Since I am looking to move toward a rack/pedal setup I have the amount of gear I will have to travel with will become a little bit larger.  I have attached a pic of my proposed rig.

So it will be 3U in size and I have a flight case just like the one in the picture for them to go into.  What I wanted to know specifically from anyone with experience is whether or not this is enough protection for the rack gear?

I know it's not called a flight case for nothing, but I personally do not think it's enough protection....................why?  I have seen how cases are handled at airports.  I know my guitar took several drops of luggage conveyor belts on my last trip and thankfully ABS plastic protected it well, however with a rack case there is no sponge or anything inside for cushioning.  It's just hard gear screwed into a rack.

So if anyone has experience or tips on how to travel with rack gear on planes feel free to put all your experiences down here.

My proposed rack is: 

Power Amp
ADA - MP1
ART DXR Delay

I'd also have a boss GT5 but this would be in a bag that I can take on as hand luggage.    8)

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Racks and Planes
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, no direct experience though my 8RU SKB has had it's fair share of bouncing in and out of trucks, utes (pick ups I think in the US ?) and car boots.  The SKBs were made for the US military initially I think so a good rugged rack. However, what airlines do to baggage is a thing unto itself  :facepalm: .

I can think of 3 choices:
Go with good quality rack (SKB are more expensive but are better than gator), put on fragile stickers and hope for the best.
Get a rack which has internal suspension/shock absorption, I saw some at a IT show where the internal rack was "floating" inside the case, looked good but not cheap. Designed for military use.
Put the rack into a larger flight case with foam around it (or similar white stuff (poly whatever it is) they use to box and shift gear, like what a new unit would have when it's sent to music store).
Cheers R
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Interesting suggestions Richard.  I'm considered having the unit stuffed in a suitcase and padded by clothes or merchandise such as band tshirts etc  Your ideas are also good ones.  I like the last suggestion best.  It guess is would come down to size cost and weight after that.  Guitars are light enough despite having large cases.  The rack could end up over the 20kg limit if I didn't watch what else I used to pad it.

I have lots of time to figure this out, I wont be going to other countries again until Sept/Oct/Nov so have plenty of time to figure it out.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Suitcase with clothes etc wrapped around it would help, low cost option  :thumb-up: Yeah weight/size will always be an issue, cost of doing business.

MikeB

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

If you manage to sell all your t-shirts (and let's hope you do) then you won't have any packing for the trip home. You'll have to stock up on more shirts for the return journey.   Polystyrene cut to size is not going to add a lot of weight and it won't vary from trip to trip.
I don't feel tardy!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

well it's as I thought then, those flight cases aren't actually for flying so much are they?

That's also something I have done before Mike and it worked a treat, it will probably mean buying a new case though dedicated for the purpose :( the price for rock n roll eh!!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Gerry - what Richard is talking about (the rack suspended inside another rack) is a shock mount case. Those are specifically made to be rattled. Here's a bit more information (they're not cheap, but they do protect your OLD gear ;))

4U shock mount rack from SKB

Seems like a cheap insurance policy to make sure your stuff is okay when you get there

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Gerry - what Richard is talking about (the rack suspended inside another rack) is a shock mount case. Those are specifically made to be rattled. Here's a bit more information (they're not cheap, but they do protect your OLD gear ;))

4U shock mount rack from SKB

Seems like a cheap insurance policy to make sure your stuff is okay when you get there

I have to say this looks amazing.  I'd say the accummulative weight of my proposed rack will be about 15kg, I wonder how much extra this special case would add.  Obviously this is a good idea, but I will have to factor in the cost of booking extra cases on the airlines and stuff.  However this is a great thing.  I don't need to go to all this trouble really but as I want to move to a mix of rack stuff and the stuff I already got I will need to consider an option like this.

I was thinking about the padding of a suitcase again, the down side to that idea would be I'd show up to the venue and have no rack to fit the gear to. 

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

The guitar flight cases are pretty good I think, they have lots of padding inside.  The cases I've seen for Amp heads has a little (~3/4" of foam), but this is domestic chuck it in a truck.
Now is it more likely for a suitcase to not make it (get lost by airline) or a flight case ??

@Dante, those SKBs look great, though $550(ish) USD  :facepalm:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I know, they're pricey - but hey, it's insurance for your beloved old gear

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I couldn't agree more!
See, what always strikes me is folks having the most expensive (Boutique kinda) gear and then counting pennies on stuff like guitar cables, cases,....
I also wouldn't go without sufficient surge protection/Power Conditioner....I always shake my head when I see monster setups/Racks/Heads and all is wired with some 3-6 outlet extention plugs like my daughter uses in her room...
Case-wise I use a SUS-4 6U shock-mount double door flight case which can sure take a beating (and def has.....)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Some more thoughts on the Racks/Aircraft/Fly-in gigging....
I'm trying to be as objective as I can while being as subjective as everyone would be ;)
My Rig (Furman PL-Plus, Triaxis, MPX-G2, 2:90 > SUS4 6U Shockmount Case) is ~50kg. Add another ~10kg for the R1 Floorboard incl an extra Rocktron Hex Expr-pedal, all in a tailor-made flight-case as well....

I can easily put it into my BMW Compact (plus a 2x12 or 2 1x12s and 2 guitars) and haul it around, no probs.
But with Air travel luggage weight limitations ( commonly ~20kg for checked-in luggage plus 6-8kg for carry-on/cabin) I'm way too far down the road with my rig.

Only once for a couple of out-of-area gigs were we allowed to bring whatever we wanted at no extra cost. We even got our own HCU-6/E air cargo pallet for our stuff exclusively...that was the exception and just a tiny bit of a Flight666 feeling for all of us....

My usual and normal approach for fly-in gigs is to check out with probable bands that also gig there what backline is avlbl and might be shared/used.
Common systems (that I came across) are Marshall DSL/TSL/JVM410s, Boogie Rectos, Engl Fireball/Powerball...
I had to ask myself "Do I really need my complete rack?" for a fly-in gig? Will the folks in that club/bar/open air/... really notice me for my signature sound/personlized gear? Imagine yourself in the first or second row listening to a band.... If the band sounds good and puts on a show I'm golden.
Do you need your personal complete setup for the band to sound good as band? I doubt that.
I started with a Boss GT-8 to be hooked up 4cm for Fly-In gigs...pre-programmed at home and then only slightly tweaked to fit the local environment at sound/line check.
For the last couple I only used a tiny board with a Mooer OD, Mooer Chorus and 2 Mooer Dly pedals (all those tiny really good sounding pedals)...did the job and was 4kg tops.
Over time I now know how to dial in lots of amps to get a tone/sound that makes me feel as comfy as possible while making the band sound as a whole.
Domestic gigs still get the full 60+kg of personal subjective tonal comfort zone though ;)

Just my 2 cents...

« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

^^ That's good advice.

Yes, you would LIKE to have YOUR signature tones for every gig, but really...who's gonna know that you don't have the EXACT tone in a full band situation? Nobody but you.

I have a saying that I use when I can't have everything I want, but I'm gonna make due with what I got: It's good enough for who it's for. That meaning, if my trademark 'classic rock' tone is not exactly there, it's good enough for a bar full of people screaming 'FREEBIRD!'  :lol:

We had a gig last summer at a big festival. 20 stages, hundreds of bands. We had a tiny stage in a comedy club and a one-hour-window for setup, teardown, and playing. Needless to say, we had to be portable and quick to get ~40 minutes of music crammed in there. They had a very crappy backline of a drum kit with dented heads and dusty cymbals, an old Fender Bass combo amp, and an old Fender Guitar combo amp. I brought my 2u rig with the MP-2 and my Boss FX unit and hoped for the best. The tones were a bit tinny at first (Damn Fender Amps!) but, I turned the highs all the way down and darkened my room presence on the MP-2 and it was good enough for who it was for.

We played two nights with one hour slotted for each one. Before we played the second night, the club owner felt compelled to tell the crowd (as we were setting up) that 'you are about to see the best band at the festival this year - this is the one you don't wanna miss' We were dumbfounded. But, looking around, there were very few bands that really put on a show. Most were just standing there, we like to get the crowd involved (we're all wireless, and the singer likes to disappear in the crowd). Good times.

The point being, you can't always bring the two halfstacks, but sometimes you can get by with a really versatile multi f/x unit. I still have an old Boss ME-5 from the early 80s in a case for a 'backup of a backup' because you just never know.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Done quite a few of these myself LOL, it's all in the fingers in the end, you can get a sound out of most things and adapt. That said, it's nice to have your sounds (if you can), at least preamp & FX and midi pedal (so I recon I could make MP2 + decent multi FX work in most situations), MP1 is a little more tricky, if you have say GCS-3 in loop, then it opens the direct option.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I couldn't agree more!
See, what always strikes me is folks having the most expensive (Boutique kinda) gear and then counting pennies on stuff like guitar cables, cases,....
I also wouldn't go without sufficient surge protection/Power Conditioner....I always shake my head when I see monster setups/Racks/Heads and all is wired with some 3-6 outlet extention plugs like my daughter uses in her room...
Case-wise I use a SUS-4 6U shock-mount double door flight case which can sure take a beating (and def has.....)

well that case costs as much as probably my whole rack (the 3units) or at least close to it.  It also looks huge.  I wouldn't say I'm skimping out or counting pennies, but I'm being practical about cost.  I do not own a BMW or even a car for that matter.  My proposed rig is not that large, I still think it's reasonable to think I can get that on a plane for a reasonable price.  I save pennies on cables by buying proper noiseless cable with 2 seperate screens, 1 Tubed thermoplastic conductive carbon layer and then usual earth wire sheild, I buy the cable what ever length I need and some Rean jacks and make the cables myself.  Costs way less than a bullshit planet waves cable or monster cable.

I just wondered whether so called flight cases would be enough as they have no padding to absorb the shocks and bumps from being taken on and off a plane and I was interested to see if people have actually traveled with these on a plane before without any issues.  If the answer is the fight case with suspension at $550 I will have to think of somethign else.

^^ That's good advice.

Yes, you would LIKE to have YOUR signature tones for every gig, but really...who's gonna know that you don't have the EXACT tone in a full band situation? Nobody but you.

I have a saying that I use when I can't have everything I want, but I'm gonna make due with what I got: It's good enough for who it's for. That meaning, if my trademark 'classic rock' tone is not exactly there, it's good enough for a bar full of people screaming 'FREEBIRD!'  :lol:

We had a gig last summer at a big festival. 20 stages, hundreds of bands. We had a tiny stage in a comedy club and a one-hour-window for setup, teardown, and playing. Needless to say, we had to be portable and quick to get ~40 minutes of music crammed in there. They had a very crappy backline of a drum kit with dented heads and dusty cymbals, an old Fender Bass combo amp, and an old Fender Guitar combo amp. I brought my 2u rig with the MP-2 and my Boss FX unit and hoped for the best. The tones were a bit tinny at first (Damn Fender Amps!) but, I turned the highs all the way down and darkened my room presence on the MP-2 and it was good enough for who it was for.

We played two nights with one hour slotted for each one. Before we played the second night, the club owner felt compelled to tell the crowd (as we were setting up) that 'you are about to see the best band at the festival this year - this is the one you don't wanna miss' We were dumbfounded. But, looking around, there were very few bands that really put on a show. Most were just standing there, we like to get the crowd involved (we're all wireless, and the singer likes to disappear in the crowd). Good times.

The point being, you can't always bring the two halfstacks, but sometimes you can get by with a really versatile multi f/x unit. I still have an old Boss ME-5 from the early 80s in a case for a 'backup of a backup' because you just never know.

true I agree, but my rig is not that big, I want to build my tone around it and I believe I can get it from country to country.  It is important to me to have a signature tone while I am away from home, more so than when I am at home.  Why?  Because the people in the coiuntries I visit are more imprtant to me than home fans.  Why?  Heavy Metal is bigger in other countries than where I live so to become bigger in Greece or Germany is a bigger deal than being big in Ireland even if it's amazing to finally be appreciated by our home fans after the early years or rejection.  Sure the home following is great but for my band to progress we need to gain the fans abroad, and when those fans hear me playing I want them to hear my signature tone.  I may have to comprimise sure I know that and indeed I always do when I use cabs that are not the sort I use normally (nearly every gig I play now).

I totally understand the points being made here but then I am not asking for a ridiculously large set up to be taken ever where with me.

I think I'm very aware of the impracticality of tying to take a large rig flying, but then I don't have that problem because I'm not trying to take multiple heads or 6u racks with me.

My proposed rig is tiny!!  3u and an Mfx unit?  That's nothing surely.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up