ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Axe pix  (Read 113555 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Axe pix
« Reply #225 on: Time Format »

I put a Wilkinson trem on the squire upgrade strat.  It's a very nice piece of hardware and was quite inexpensive (less than the super switch). The bar doesn't screw in, it just sits in the hole snug (ish) and you tighten a small alen screw to tension it (so it doesn't fall out).

@RG, Mike is yet to do the MDRT install but not because he's waiting for your doco, more about having time to do it I suspect.. So not to hassle you too much  :wave:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #226 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

You are correct that none of these guitars have a locking trem. They have a two point style trem based on the current Fender Strat style, but the metal is some garbage pig-metal that I wouldn't use for a paperweight. Funny thing though, on the Fenders, they all come with a brass bridge block which is really nice for the tone, so that helps counter the garbage metal a bit if you swap out the pickups for some good ones.
    The Fenders I have are like the one you sent the link to, but not painted in solid colors like that. They have the same carved tops, but are all finished in some kind of sunburst with clear lacquer on them.
    The Squiers that I see on ebay are targeted more towards the Metal players with the kind of finishes that appeal for that sort of thing, like the Celtic Showmaster, and the Blackout with the Tong symbol etc. They are selling on ebay very cheap, averaging about $150 USD. That's because they don't have the locking trems.
    I don't know what kind of pickups come with the Squiers, but the Duncans that came on mine sucked pharts out of bus seats. I've replaced both of the H-H models with DiMarzios, Air Zone, and Air Norton in one, Steve's Special, and Air Norton in the other.
I've tried the Super Distortion and didn't like it because it doesn't do clean guitar tones. Even with the volume on the guitar rolled back enough to actually get it clean, it doesn't have enough volume left to give it any sustain. The Steve's Special will give you all the crunch that you get from the Super Distortion at full volume, but it cleans up when you roll it back. It's a bit too much of a Metal-ish tone for my taste so I'm thinking of replacing it with a Norton to balance it out with the Air Norton in the neck. I might even use a Duncan Screamin' Demon in there instead, because that one is a Ceramic and Alnico pickup, instead of all Ceramic like the Steve's Special. Eventually, I'll replace all the hardware on those, probably with FR styled trems.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #227 on: Time Format »

Hey Tomy, check this out, something you mihgt like, our bass players new bass!!

I personally am not a fan of signature models but that's just me.  It's dave ellefson's self designed bass.  Kinda like a mocking bird and thunder bird bass rolled into one!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #228 on: Time Format »

Hey GR, cool bass  :thumb-up: Looks like it will sound pretty good.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #229 on: Time Format »

Well well Ellefson seems to be popular with bass players,our bassplayer also bought a Ellefson model,but he got the 5 string CB model.Like this one and he got it new for 300 euro since these aren't produced anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Ellefson-5-String-Rosewood-Fingerboard/dp/B007J0UZN6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_267_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41hd-K3Xy8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=R8P5KHT83J1J5DGNHEAN

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #230 on: Time Format »

Hey GR, cool bass  :thumb-up: Looks like it will sound pretty good.

I wouldn't play one but it's a nice bass and it does sound good Richard.  Although if I am honest, the treble mid and boost switches aren't necessary if you have a good equalizer, which he has (I have to set it though  :facepalm:)

Well well Ellefson seems to be popular with bass players,our bassplayer also bought a Ellefson model,but he got the 5 string CB model.Like this one and he got it new for 300 euro since these aren't produced anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Ellefson-5-String-Rosewood-Fingerboard/dp/B007J0UZN6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_267_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41hd-K3Xy8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=R8P5KHT83J1J5DGNHEAN

That's a nice bass also MJMP, not that I need that extra string.  It's funny the Kelly Bird that our bass player got and the CB model your bassist got both cost the same, 300euro.  Joe got a good gig bag and shipping thrown in with that also.  Good deal I thought, the colour scheme I really like and the action from Factory setup suits me  :thumb-up:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #231 on: Time Format »

Well he ordered it from Thoman for 550 euro but they shipped him the wrong bass,it was a cheaper model.So he phoned to tell them about the mistake and they didn't have it in stock anymore.It was going to take weeks to get so they made him an offer eventually (after long phone calls) he could have it for 300 euro.But he didn't wanted to wait so what he did was take this offer to the bax shop and they agreed (they match someone else his price) to also sell it for 300 euro.
So in the end he got a 550 euro bass for 300 euro which was a pretty good deal all considered.But he didn't get a gig bag  :lol:
I sold him the case of my bc rich mockingbird bass.

Like you say the controls are pretty useless,he doesn't use them either.

Just saw that the USA version is a whopping 4000 euro,wow that's alot.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #232 on: Time Format »

Cool RG, it is a great looking bass... I have checked the demo on YouTube couple month ago, and it also seemed to sound great. I'm not a signature instrument guy but I really trust Dave Ellefson to set up a great instrument.

Dave Ellefson is a legend :
-1st, Megadeth's bassllines  are technically hard to play
-2nd, He  sings backing vocals that match with megaDave
-3rd, He is the only "survivor" from MegaDave badass's days

I remember 20 years ago, Dave Ellefson used to write articles on "Bass player" magazine, one of those was definitely the best advice for a young bassist to me(while others bass players were talking about slapping, tapping, popping, led zeppeling technics... whatever !). The title was "Less is best" saying when you don't really know what to play on a new song, at first just play root on the drum kick and it gives you a first idea of what your bassline should be. Then after add some fills, but never forget your first idea.

I know you don't like active bass, me neither ! But the inboard  preamp will definitely help, and I 'm sure it will fix some lack of tone your singer could have on stage :thumb-up:
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #233 on: Time Format »

Well he ordered it from Thoman for 550 euro but they shipped him the wrong bass,it was a cheaper model.So he phoned to tell them about the mistake and they didn't have it in stock anymore.It was going to take weeks to get so they made him an offer eventually (after long phone calls) he could have it for 300 euro.But he didn't wanted to wait so what he did was take this offer to the bax shop and they agreed (they match someone else his price) to also sell it for 300 euro.
So in the end he got a 550 euro bass for 300 euro which was a pretty good deal all considered.But he didn't get a gig bag  :lol:
I sold him the case of my bc rich mockingbird bass.

Like you say the controls are pretty useless,he doesn't use them either.

Just saw that the USA version is a whopping 4000 euro,wow that's alot.

Its funny as there was a f*ck up with thomann and our guy as well, they couldn't get that bass in for a long time so he said "no way hosay" and found some other guy in mainland Europe who did him the deal.  Those gig bags are worth a bit themselves so it was a real good deal.

The bass itself is nice and good sounding, but those boosts aren't needed in my opinion.  I think currently I had set those boosts with the trebel full on and the bass about the 2-3.  Having them flat worked also.  Not sure I'm a fan of the mix knob.  Still a nice bass and good sound.

@ Tomy,

if Dave Ellefson said that less is more, I totally agree.  This is my opinion.  I constantly have to tell our guy to stop trying to stop my rhythms.  Example, when we went to record bass for the single this year, I noticed he was doing a lot more than I realised.  I told him half the amount of picking as it will punctuate better through the othe intruments and actually sound cleaner and more powerful.  I WAS WRITE!  When our guy realised he was blown away.  I think there is a danger sometimes of having to make stuff challenging when it doesn't have to be.  I can be guilty of this also on guitar but I'm mature enough now to know when to do challenging and when not to.  With bass I think it's worse as some guys might feel under appreciated as they're playing something simple so they wan't to do a million notes!  Well this is uselss as it will get lost.  I say the golden rule for me is to play what enhances a the music and what is most effective in maximising the impact of the song.  A flurry of bass picking actually just muddies everything up.  If it's easy to play, it doesn't make it bad,  this might be the requirements of the song, in which case it is good!  So I praise that attitude of Dave if he said that.  It's the same for drums as well.  I have to tell our drummer to stop hitting cymbals as there need to be room for other things, or tell him to hit them after certain passages in the music have past.

Question, he now has an active bass Tomy, but he can still plug into the Boss BE-5B pedal he uses right?  And then plug this into the passive input in front of the amp?

Or should he use the active input?  I would have thought the passive input as by the time the signal comes out of the pedal it's ok to go into the passive input on the amp.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #234 on: Time Format »

In fact, you don't care about passive or active bass ; it only depends on the level output that goes on your input amp...

For example, one of my bass is passive but the output level is higher than other active bass, so I have to plug it in active input  :dunno:

The passive input is the normal input, and the active input is a (most of the time) 10db lower input. That means, if your Dave Ellefson's bass is more powerful than previous bass, you should use active input (wether or not effect processor) only to avoid distortion when all pots on your bass are at 10 level

Anyway if your amp can handle an active bass with effect processor in passive input without distortion, go and keep it that way !
« Last Edit: Time Format by tomy »
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #235 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, as Tommy says, the active input is designed to take a higher level, thus isn't as sensitive as the normal input (as passive PUs are usually lower output than the preamp (active) output in the active bass).  But in your case, the bass is driving the pedals input and the pedals output is driving the amp input, so you need to adjust the pedal input and output for unity gain (doesn't add or take away gain).  When active basses came along they were too high output for many bass amps normal inputs, thus active (-10db) inputs were added to prevent distortion.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #236 on: Time Format »

Oh I know what the active input does and what it's for, but I just didn't know which to use if you run a pedal in front.  So it doesn't matter since I can control the level on the pedal regardless.

Yeah there is no distortion.  It may be starts to distort if the mid boost is up full, however we aint using that as it sounds to much in the guitar frequency range.

Ok wel thanks for that guys.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #237 on: Time Format »

:thumb-up: , see how it goes headroom wise also, when he gets excited and really pumps out the notes, you may find the active input helps...

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #238 on: Time Format »

in all honesty no massive difference through the live rig in regards to his bass sound.  I would be lying if I said it was any better than any other of his basses.  However I can see it being a different story when we record it DI.  Since it has the onboard that might be a nice advantage.

We're playing some shows in England and Scotland next month so it will be tested properly then.
In mean time I need to get at least two guitars operational for then.  Been too lazy doin upgrades and then not bothering to finish the set up.  Putting steel saddles and brass block on my main axe at the moment.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #239 on: Time Format »

Cool, that should add some sustain  :thumb-up:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up