• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

Wires for Speakers

Started by McLeanAB, December 04, 2016, 11:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McLeanAB

Hey all!

I have found a lovely old beat up Marshall 1960av cab with no speakers as a project to have as a stereo companion to my newly loaded Green/Creamback 1960av cab...

The only thing I need (besides speakers!!!) is a bit of speaker wires for the inside with the non-soldered/clip on ends... where can I find these?  I looked on Stewart-Macdonald, but can't seem to locate what I need!

Help a brother out?

- Adam
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

Kim

You can get speaker wire almost anywhere, Adam. Nothing fancy or special about it.  Heck even Mal-Wart and Sadio Rhack has it.  As far as the actual terminals go, if you use the cheap. crimp-on style LIKE THESE (also available at those big box stores) you're going to want to first strip the insulation off those so you can get a reliable crimp on them.  Soldering them as well might be better too.  But if you get terminals LIKE THESE, they are worthy and need no soldering if crimped properly. There's a SPECIAL TOOL for those better terminals, which I do have.

vansinn

Have no comments on the clips.
WRT wires, as long as we're talking about such short length as in a box, no need to buy yourself poor.
However, avoid thin electrics (0-75) wire; use at least 1.5 square.
I always stay away from PVC isolated wire because the di-electrics (speeleng?) of the insulation can affect higher frequencies.
Get something with Teflon or poly-whatever-it's-named insulation. (I just love shiny Poly-Esther 8) )

MarshallJMP

Just get some 1.5mm² or 15 AWG wire in black and red color and use a drill to twist the wires to give it a better look inside.
For me personally I don't like using terminals.I always solder my wires.

rnolan

I use either 15 amp or 20 amp power cable (just cut off the outside insulation if you want separate bits), cheap easy works well
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few