ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD Replacement Display  (Read 8592 times)

rickeb1

LCD Replacement Display
« on: Time Format »

I don't need a new display, but I came across this ad on reverb.com:
https://reverb.com/item/2452333-alesis-lcd-display-quadraverb-quad-plus-quad-gt-data-disk-d4-ada-mp-2-screen-4-colors

I'm wondering if it would be worth doing and how difficult it might be to install.  The ad says,
This is a simple installation process that only requires a small Phillips Screwdriver (Not Included) and a tiny amount of DIY spirit.

Are these things easy to take out and install?  I'm thinking that a new color combo might make the display a little easier to read.  What do you guys think, and if you think these are workable, what color would you select?

Thanks!

Samuraipanda

Re: LCD Replacement Display
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

:banana-upsidedown: :banana-upsidedown: :banana-upsidedown:

I dig that black screen/blue type version. I might have to get me one of those.

vansinn

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

MJMP used to sell replacement displays, maybe still do..
I remember from old discussions there were problems with a number of displays not having the correct character set, meaning potentially garbled output.
Dunno not'n 'bout the display referred above..

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

MJMP still has displays, the ones he was using he can't get anymore but he found another.
I put one in one of my MP2s recently, easy to do.  I also had my Quadverb open the other day and noted the displays looked very similar.
Notes:
In the Quadverb, the screen mounts with 4 screws, in the MP2 the screen has cutouts where the 4 plastic lugs hold it (push lugs aside to remove screen kind of clip in/out), I'd have to look again but I think the Quadverb screen had 4 screw holes, not the cutouts like MP2 screen (but worst case you could gently file the cutouts from the edge to the screw holes (the screw holes looked to be in the right place)).
I don't know if MJMP can get them in other colours ?? but if you get one from him it's guaranteed to fit and work in a MP2, just snaps into place  :thumb-up:
The connecting cable is easy to remove/replace (but it goes under the ribbon cable which connects the PCB to the front button assembly and, as I found out, it's easy to accidentally dislodge one end (PCB end) of the ribbon cable, not good  :facepalm: though easy to put back (CAREFULLY)).  Also you have to desolder, and resolder one wire (on top of the screen), easy but you need to clean/scrape off the insulation on the screen lug you need to solder to).
If you do it, don't forget to take off the plastic screen protection film (or, like me, you'll have to pull it apart again (out (a bit)) to remove  :facepalm: ).
I only found 1 character discrepancy so far with the new screen MJMP has available, the arrow -> symbol turns into something else, no biggy, and the new char is kind of cool.
With the new screen, on power up you get a line of black squares on the top row (no idea why  :dunno: ). This lasts a few seconds, goes away then the MP2 boots normally.  This doesn't happen with the original screen and the MP2 boots/powers on slightly faster.

I think Black text on Green is probably the best from a visibility perspective (and also looking at the screen pics).  But then the only time I ever look at the MP2 screen is when I'm programming it.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey R are you sure you used the new LCD? because the new ones have the correct char set. And I should be able to get them in different colors too. Now you have the only new one I had so I can't test it. Strange about the blocks because the LCD gets it's info from the CPU.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP. I thought I put the new version/one in  :crazy: , but I'll check..

Ok may bad  :facepalm: , it's the same as one of the others (PQC1602K-SYL) as I have 2 of the ones you can't get anymore.

So the new type is the ROH RC1602D-YHY-ESX.  I'll try to put it in later tonight and let you know how it goes.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Ok, I changed the display I'd put in (MP2 #2) to the new one.  Had al sorts of funny stuff for a bit.  I pulled out the ribbon cable and cleaned the contacts, seemed to help.  After a few power cycles it seems to be fine now, no line of black squares.  The -> char is back and all the others seem ok. there's a few funny ones when you scroll through the symbols (don't know if they were there before, I'll check later on an original screen).  It's a little slow to respond to fast scrolls.  I have it turned on now for a burn in.

The lug you solder the wire to is the opposite angle direction to the other screens (original and old replacement) and you need to scrap off the paint (or whatever it is).  So before installing it (while it's easy to get at), scrape off the black stuff and tin it with some solder, then it's easier to solder the lead on once the screen is installed.  If there are any issues after installation (first power on takes a little longer so be patient) like you see lots of weird symbols it's probably the ribbon cable (PCB connector end).  If the ribbon cable isn't connected properly, it does weird things. Don't put the lid back on until it's all working properly and test some patch edits, system menus etc, I found sometimes selecting a different parameter to edit made it boot (and other odd behavior, RAM errors, reloading defaults, a bunch of stuff), but I'm pretty sure this was all down to the ribbon cable  :dunno: .

Anyway all seems good now  :thumb-up: .

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well it seems to me that that MP-2 is developing a problem, the errors you get don't have anything to do with the LCD or the cable. You can even unplug the LCD and the MP-2 will still work.

vansinn

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

^ now, that's a bad-ass player who doesn't even need a display!  :bow:
Bet such players likewise will have guitars with no dot inlays.

Sortof like reading a book blindfolded, purely using the pineal gland.
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, that is a definite possibility.  I've never had an issue with this unit since I got it but they guy who sold it to me said he didn't trust it live so had it in his studio rig. So it all stayed stable last night, just powered it up and it had a bit of a think, but then all ok.  It's slower to render changes than the other screens. It taking a good 1 second before a letters etc fully display, kind of fades in, although it's a bit faster now it's warmed up.  So seems these new displays are fine  :thumb-up: (and you can get other colours  :whoohoo!: ).

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Maybe try to get all the socketed ic's out and put them back in, maybe a bad contact somewhere. Don't forget to take a backup of the presets! I would start with the µP, RAM and eprom if you haven't already changed it.

Could also be a problem with either U104 or U110.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, thanks I'll give that a go  :thumb-up: .  My US model MP2 (#4) has the startup issue where you get no output unless you start with a patch that includes wah or compressor. Did we have a fix for that ? I noticed on the MP2 noise mod load chart I have that it includes the wah opp amp ICs U207 and U 205 (coloured yellow (as in change these components)) ??

Also, as Harley and I were discussing, the FX loop changes the sound when set to full wet (I've not tried this but Harley reports it's an issue) and also the midi master volume never seems to get quite as loud when up full as when it's not used (not assigned a CC), this I have heard but as I always assign and use the master vol I'd never noticed until Harley mentioned it as well. Is it U508, U509 (FX loop ??) and U609 (midi master vol ??)  :dunno: that affect these signals ???. I'm thinking the issue may be we may need better opp amps for these bits of the circuit ??  Just guessing but there is something going on and they seemed to be located in the right place to possibly be involved.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

The Effects Loops Wet/Dry level is something that is noticeable in the sense that it colors the sound. It isn't drastic, but you can tell it's not completely transparent anymore.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

This was posted on the ada addicts, looks like a good deal. Not sure if it is 100% compatible.

http://www.buydisplay.com/default/character-display-16x2-char-lcd-module-hd44780-arduino-black-on-yg

Also different colors and very cheap.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »
Pages: [1]   Go Up