ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Amp  (Read 5678 times)

d1469d

Power Amp
« on: Time Format »

Hey guys. I scored a Peavey Classic 60 tube power amp for cheap. I have been looking for a power amp that wouldn't break the bank. The power amp is straight up 6L6 tube power. It has two 6L6 tubes and two 12ax7 preamp tubes in it.  Does anyone have experience with one of these tube amps. All the reviews I have read on the power amp are good. I was looking for a good tube power amp that is reliable,I will be gigging out with this. Everyone said they are very reliable. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I know a lot of guys like the Carvin, Mosvalves,Ect. for the ADA MP 1 preamp.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Power Amp
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

From previous posts, the Peavey is a good solid tube power amp, I've not used one but others here like them.  I still prefer the B200s, but I also really like my Carvin Ts100.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rickeb1

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I use a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp which uses EL84 tubes.  I've had it for quite a few years and it has been extremely reliable, aside from having to replace the relay that switches between mono and stereo.  I like the sound I get from it, but I've always wondered if something with 6L6 would sound meatier, so I'll be interested to hear how you like the 60/60!

d1469d

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

okay. I tried the Peavey classic 60 power amp at practice tonight with my MP 1. Lots of good clean power. There is not much to it. It was nice just to turn  on and crank the one knob on the back and be done with it. Lots of balls and good low end. It was plenty loud. I am glad I got it.

Darth Infernus

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I run my MP-1 preamps with a Mesa recto 2:100 power amp and I replaced the 6L6 tubes for an octet of JJ 6550 power tubes. The Mesa is expensive but the tone is in a word THUNDER!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Do you like the JJ 6550's tubes,i've been thinking of putting a qued of these in my marshalls.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I run JJ 6550s in my AIMS Eclipsor head.  Great tubes, deal out the chunk and clean really well with warmth.  I use that for my desert/stoner rock setup.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

How long are the 6550 tubes in your amp?No failure's or problems?

RobbHell

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

6550's are very common for tube base amps. Hence bad ass low end. I wanna add 6550s to my Mesa 2/00.
Kerry King used KT88s in his Marshalls... lots of balls for a Marshall.

RobbHell

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

With Mesa be a Fixed Cold biased amp how easy was the upgrade ? Did you replace your transformer?

d1469d

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The Peavey power amp I purchased a while back is working out great. It has plenty of low end and is a nice surprise that it sounds so good. So if anyone wants an all tube power amp with some balls that won't send you living in a van down by the river,the Peavey may be the way to go.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Cool, good to hear  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up