ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the MP-1 Chorus do Flange?  (Read 9509 times)

VoxG2

Does the MP-1 Chorus do Flange?
« on: Time Format »

Just curious. It seems like I remember my old one flanging.

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: Does the MP-1 Chorus do Flange?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Uhm....maybe on some settings it could...I've to try that...
On the run again!

VoxG2

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

haha...yes me too! Only way to find out!

Iperfungus

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

haha...yes me too! Only way to find out!

:thumb-up:

I bet rnolan and MJMP already know that...  :green-banana-smiley-emoticon:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Never tried it  :???:

Iperfungus

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Never tried it  :???:

D'oh!!!  :facepalm:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well strictly no (but that shouldn't stop you trying  >:D ).  If you could modulate the MP-1 chorus depth (auto-magically) then it would be a flanger of sorts.
Flanging was accidentally invented by someone leaning on a tape reel while it was playing (the same signal/track) as another tape was playing it (or aspects of it), you can get this kind of thing when you have 2 multi track tape recorders playing in sync (to get extra tracks (eg 2 x 16 track = 32, loose 2 to sync = 30 tracks to record on)), lean on one spool slows it down (delay + pitch shift introduced), vary the pressure = flanging (comb filtering, out of phase waves cancel each other).
So flange parameters are pitch (freq) and pitch modulation (up/down, rate/speed) and time (delay) modulation (usually very short so waves end up out of phase with themselves and thus cancel out and modulating faster/slower).

The MP-2 chorus however does flange a bit (it has different circuit), and also I find with my slant split stack I've wired stereo, it causes some flanging as the speakers are not separated/isolated (and thus some frequency dependent out of phase cancellations).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well strictly no (but that shouldn't stop you trying  >:D ).  If you could modulate the MP-1 chorus depth (auto-magically) then it would be a flanger of sorts.

If only the MP-1 would accept MIDI CC for that...  :facepalm:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

To get a flange sound you need to have low delay times around 2-10 ms, chorus is usually higher around + 20ms.Also to get a flanger effect you also need a feedback control IMO.Now the one thing I find strange is that I own a ADA flanger pedal which sounds more like a chorus pedal to me.It doesn't flange well compared to other ADA units I have like the TFX-4 and the 2FX.

Iperfungus

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

To get a flange sound you need to have low delay times around 2-10 ms, chorus is usually higher around + 20ms.Also to get a flanger effect you also need a feedback control IMO.Now the one thing I find strange is that I own a ADA flanger pedal which sounds more like a chorus pedal to me.It doesn't flange well compared to other ADA units I have like the TFX-4 and the 2FX.

I don't like flanger that much...but I think I'll keep using the one from GMaj...  :lol:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Well you have flangers and flangers. I never liked DSP flangers like in those multi effect units like the G major and even the G force.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I have to agree with MJMP.
I don't care for the flangers in my G Force, G Major 2 or any other multi fx unit I had.  :headbanger:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

VoxG2

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

lol...I have an ADA Flanger as well. It does several things, I just want a simple swoosh flange. The chorus on the GP-8 does it, but I'm sure I'm going to use it with the MP-1. Thanks for the replies!

vansinn

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

How flange is perceived depends on settings. I once had an Ibanez table-top flanger unit that could do delay, flange and chorus.
When it was a flange and when chorus was purely up to settings; in other words, it could just as well do a flangy chorus as a chorused flange..

Why not simply create a mod to the MP-1 chorus for adding a small amount of feedback on shallow Depth settings?
Just might result in a flangy chorus..
Turning up the Depth will gradually decrease the feedback, and it'll turn into pure chorus.
Could be done with a FET, linked to the Depth control voltage, methinks.  (but I think too much at times, so..)

Iperfungus

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Don't get me wrong guys...I owned some analog flanger pedals in the past, but I never loved that kind of effect too much, since I never found a place for it in what I play.
Generally speaking, I do not use too many effects...I prefer a dry and straight sound...just a little bit of delay and reverb and a phaser sometimes...a little amount of chorus just with clean sounds, even if now I remember why I loved the MP-1 chorus with overdriven or distorted sounds as well...

Inside units like the GMajor or the 9150, there's also too much stuff...  :lol:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up