ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A tail of 3 guitars  (Read 16065 times)

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
Re: A tail of 3 guitars
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey guys ! This thread is awesome :thumb-up:
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Well i wonder,i never played an epifone,how does it compare to a gibson?

tomy

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

MJ... one day... if you build and sell a lot of MDRT, you ' ll have enough money to afford your own Epiphone. And you will not need to play again on a cheap Gibson ;D
« Last Edit: Time Format by tomy »

ARSENAL :

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Ha great  :lol: :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Of course a long time ago Epiphone were a brand unto themselves and made some very nice guitars. So these days they tend to be the cheap Gibson range (ala Fender Squire). They cost around $900 ish in Australia (the fixed neck models, the bolt ons are less).  They are nice guitars, as with lots of the Asian built guitars the hardware is cheap as they are built to a price point. They are good candidates for an upgrade, I've played/set up a few. My SG is an Epiphone, I had the neck shaved and new frets (go figure one was bent when I got it)/PUs/Tuners/Bridge/Nut so if you can find one for a decent price (IIRC I payed $250 for it).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

tomy

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

...and the :thumb-up:se are great guitar

ARSENAL :

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

It just goes to show you guy's!  That's a great story Soloist BTW

But seriously, those £1000 guitar player types are out their looking down their noses at us!!

The first record I came across where I say a big name playing a Squier Strat was on Accept's Metal Heart.  This made me think, hell if Wolf Hoffman is playing a Squier then they must be ok!!  He moved on to a million other guitars since but again it just goes to show you.

For Christmas last year my girlfriend bought me this no namer!  Because it was green.  There is much randomness about this guitar.  I'm still trying to work out if it is any good or not.  It seems well made but some savings have been made on hardware.  Howeve the pickups are Wilkinsons, and the most insanely loud passive pups!  The guitar had no tone control, so the pups ran wide open!  f**king too much trebel for  me!  So I was real clever and fitted a concentric post that allowed me to have a two tiered control, so the bottom one was a tone control for both pups and the top was a volume.  Then I got the two tiered control knob (which is ugly) and hell it worked like a dream!!  However......................

I got not fit the pot in initially and I had to do quite a bit of jiggery pokery by grinding down some wood in the existing hole for the pot.  When I ground down a few extra millimeters, my new concentric pot was able to sit deep enough for the shafts to poke through the other side of the body far enough so as the concentric control knob could be fitted properly and have room to turn!

The guitar only says one thing on the head stock!  Jack Butler.  It is modeled apparently on Steve Vai guitar (I am no fan of Vai BTW) called the "Green Meanie" which I think was in the movie he was in with the Karate Kid guy.  Anyone shed any ight on this for me?  The guitar looks like a Charvel strat to me.  It is strangely made up of regular household screws as opposed to guitar screw types.  Which kinda makes me believe this was a guitar somebody built for a project and then decided to sell on.

Even more bizarre!  The guitar has a locking trem that has a floyd rose logo on it!  But this trem is not a floyd rose.  It looks like the trems on my Stagemasters/Showmasters.  But somehow the floyd rose logo is properly embossed on the trem base plate!  So someone with some skills went to a lot of trouble to do certain things on this axe.  I am determined to get it playing the way I like.  I may swap the pups out, I dunno!  You can see this guitar in the video I was in from another Thread.  It's like a green metallic colour!

@ Richard
If I recal guitars like Orville and Greco where companies that turned into Epiphone.  The Greco's are big in Sweden form some reason, seem to be a lot of them out there according to the band I toured with last year who where from Sweden.  Their bassist had a rickenbacker copy which was a Greco.

Epihones - Never really enjoyed any Epiphones I played, they are decent guitars though I will say that much.  I think Squier is better value for money though.  Epi's are near twice the price of a basic Squier.

When I went to buy a flying V that I could afford, I basically was looking at the Epiphone version.  However after much research, I found out Tokai's Flying V copies where better than Epiphones.  So I bought a Tokai Flying V instead.  It also looked nice with the older style Head stock as to the very pointy Epiphone flying V.  The Tokai FV40 was modeled on the 1969 Flying V where as the Epiphone versions I was looking at seemed to be their own modern take on the Flying V, kinda like the Gibson USA newer Flying V's (which I don't like).  In saying this I have seen some nice Epiphone FV's since.  I nearly bought one a few years ago, nearly!  I'm currently not getting anymore axes until I flog (sell  :lol:) two I no longer want.

Then I'll may be pickup another nice Westone or my dream Fender HM that I've mentioned to Tomy before!!  They have to be in great condition though or else I aint interested.  Have thought about getting a fender Talon also  see below

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tNu78SMKH6I/TRH23ORZwbI/AAAAAAAAEQg/1OU9Mqdc4I8/s1600/heartfield+talon+II.jpg

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/3/4/4/8/344818/pics/_c625397_image_0.jpg
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

DorsetRatt

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

But seriously, those £1000 guitar player types are out their looking down their noses at us!!

I play £1000 guitars, and I certainly don't look down my nose at guitarists with lesser priced guitar, and neither do other musicians in my circle, we're just trying to improve are instruments, whether by upgrading or buying better quality.

I think you've developed a seriously big f*ckin' potato sized chip on your shoulder RG, and the bad attitude is worse than the people you're complaining about :nono:

Why should forum members be encouraged to post pics of their favourite axe (that they've worked damned hard to afford and are very proud of) on this site when we have this sort of attitude lurking in the background :amaze:
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Well that's good that you don't. 

I think you have taken my comments personally for some reason.  If you are a £1000 guitar player and don't look down your nose at lesser expensive intruments then my comments don't conern you do they? Nope they don't since you don't have that snobbey attitude right?  You can spend what you like on guitars, I don't care, I'm just saying I don't like people who judge on the price tag or brand name of an instrument and there are lots and lots of those people out there and online.

Why should forum members be encouraged to post pics of their favourite axe (that they've worked damned hard to afford and are very proud of) on this site when we have this sort of attitude lurking in the background :amaze:

I have nothing against forum members posting pics of their guitars so I don't appreciate this comment?  If I don't like some guitars in photos I sure as hell don't blast someone because of it.  I find you accusation incredible insulting,  you sound like your telling teacher on me?  I have never once said to anyone on here "hey I hate you and your expensive guitars please remove your photos".

I'm entitled to not like guitarists being snobbey, it's none of your business.
As for a chip on my shoulder  :lol: you sound like you're the one with a chip on your shoulder.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

The guitar only says one thing on the head stock!  Jack Butler.  It is modeled apparently on Steve Vai guitar (I am no fan of Vai BTW) called the "Green Meanie"
That head cutting duel Vai did in that movie was awesome. I believe it was a candy apple red charvel he uses in the movie crossroads. Check out the clip here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYW177hXFE8

Green meanie, beings your such a Priest fan you should name it the Green Manalishi!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

@Soloist, that's a good idea  :thumb-up:  I have never watched that movie.  I just worked out today after mentioning the guitar that Vai played a character called Jack Butler in the movie.  My guitar just looks like the same body as the Charvel only Green.

I really love that song, well the Priest version.  It's only a matter of time before someone else will chimes in with "but Green Manalishi is a Fleetwood Mac song"   :lol:

I've a few more things to do to the guitar before I can properly assess if I like it or not.  I can't get rid as my gfriend will cut my balls off if I do  :facepalm:

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

The Fleetwood Mac version is meh, but the Priest version kicks ass. I play that one all the time :metal:
I've a few more things to do to the guitar before I can properly assess if I like it or not.  I can't get rid as my gfriend will cut my balls off if I do
That's not an image I want to think about. :lol:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

hhahahha  I'm sure you don't Soloist, no bloody balls for you  :facepalm: or me for that matter.

Hey I appreciate Peter Green and his blues genius, but in reality, I'm not into FWM.

But I am into Judas Priest and of course I love their version.  They made it kinda their own didn't they?  Same with "Diamonds and Rust".

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Ha "Diamonds and Rust" or how a folk song turns into a metal song.I remember when i first heard the original JoanBaez version of it,i was WTF  :facepalm:

Now they made it good with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wGlbYpBQdQ
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

DorsetRatt

« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

I play £1000 guitars, and I certainly don't look down my nose at guitarists with lesser priced guitar, and neither do other musicians in my circle, we're just trying to improve are instruments, whether by upgrading or buying better quality.

I think you've developed a seriously big f*ckin' potato sized chip on your shoulder RG, and the bad attitude is worse than the people you're complaining about :nono:

Well that's good that you don't. 

I think you have taken my comments personally for some reason.  If you are a £1000 guitar player and don't look down your nose at lesser expensive intruments then my comments don't conern you do they? Nope they don't since you don't have that snobbey attitude right?  You can spend what you like on guitars, I don't care, I'm just saying I don't like people who judge on the price tag or brand name of an instrument and there are lots and lots of those people out there and online.

I have nothing against forum members posting pics of their guitars so I don't appreciate this comment?  If I don't like some guitars in photos I sure as hell don't blast someone because of it.  I find you accusation incredible insulting,  you sound like your telling teacher on me?  I have never once said to anyone on here "hey I hate you and your expensive guitars please remove your photos".

I'm entitled to not like guitarists being snobbey, it's none of your business.
As for a chip on my shoulder  :lol: you sound like you're the one with a chip on your shoulder.

That went well then :thumb-up:

I was simply responding to what you had written RG. I even quoted what you had written so there would be no misunderstanding ... and yet we seem to have a misunderstanding :facepalm: Read it again please, word for word.

You wrote that "£1000 guitar player types are out their looking down their noses at us". Well I am one of those types who plays £1000 guitars, as are many other guitar players ... and I find this broad sweeping statement that we are in some way looking down our noses at you to be very rude and insulting >:D Hence my response.

Now, had you of written ... "£1000 guitar snobs are really looking down their noses at us" ... I would have understood where you were coming from. I don't like guitar snobbery either. But I accept that there's always going to be a difference of opinion on these matters.

Based on what you did actually write ... I was trying to put myself in the position of being a new forum member, or somebody considering becoming a forum member, and reading your derogatory comments in this thread regarding £1000 guitar player types. Hence why I commented about posting pics of guitars ... it was more of a question than an accusation RG. Would you feel comfortable posting pics of your pride and joy £1000 guitar after reading this thread?

RG re-read this thread again ... can you really not see the chip?  I mean ... really?

El posted a really good topic earlier this year ...
ADA Forum Rocks http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1343.0
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up