ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: my custom guitar build  (Read 21947 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: my custom guitar build
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Absolutely, what you tend to get from a parallel connection (Coil A +ve to coil B +ve and Coil A -ve to coil B -ve)  is a halving of impedance, which is similar to just one coil (coil tap) but it's 2 coils and you still get the humbucker noise reduction. It's not exactly the same but IMO works better and well worth trying (if you haven't; and hear what you think...).
And yes it has a major effect on the sound, it half's the impedance (so suddenly is like a single coil (impedance wise)) but is still 2 coils out of phase (depending on the PU) so 50hz cancellation but with a much toppyier/thinner sound, it's a tone I use to good effect without adding single coil noise..
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

No, parallel is 1/4 and split coil is 1/2 of the series resistance .

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, my understanding is is 2 cols in parallel = 1/2 the impedance (just like 2 speakers), split coil is just one of the 2 coils in a humbucker, ie one single coil. Unless you mean something else than what I consider split coil ??

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Nope it's 1/4,you see it a bit wrong.

A humbucker has 2 single coils in series.Correct?So let's say it has 10k resistance.Since both single coils are in series you have a single coil of 5k in series with another single coil of 5k.Ok?

Now if you put both single coils in parallel that means 5k in parallel with the other 5k equals 2.5k.Right?

Now if you use just one single in a split setup you have 5k.

So series is 10k,split is 5k (1/2) and parallel is 2.5k (1/4)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Mmm I get what you are saying (and no doubt correct..), but I find the parallel of the 2 coils works well, is nice a toppy and keeps the hum canceling, hey they are all just different sounds.  Standard humbuckers are more like 16k in series, single coil strat style PUs are IIRC around 6 ~ 7 k, so humbucker in parallel is around 4 k ish, but it obviously depends on the turns etc... But as you say, split coil will give a higher impedance but you loose the hum cancelling. In the end it's whatever floats your boat and works for you. Ideally it's good to be able to switch all the options including phase, but series parallel is and easier wiring option and works well with humbuckers (in my experience).

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Wellthe 10k was just an example choosen for easy calculation.I know it's usually higher.

Done some googling and it seems that split coil has a bit more high end but more noise too.Tone wise not exectly the same but close.

Mmmm nope split coil is way easier to do then series parallel.For split coil you only need a simple SPST switch while for series parallel you need a DPDT switch.2 connections vs 6 connections.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

As I said, they are quite similar but with less noise in parallel. The wiring is pretty straight forward, a couple of more lugs LoL, but if you are chasing a truly single coil sound, then split coil is the way to go. If you want a humbucker sound with some single coilish options, then series/parallel works well. The other thing to consider is out of phase, while I knew about it I'd never bothered, then I got the JPLP which replicates Jimmy Pages out of phase setup, so B PU has push/pull series/parallel and is out of phase with the N PU. I love the tones I can get with this setup, hence have wired the N PU in the strat upgrade out of phase.

El Chiguete

« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Well an update: since last friday I've taken everything to my luthier and it's been a stady process of seting up everything correctly :) Since I bough a separate body and a neck to be modified from a vintage trem to a Floyd Rose I knew it was better that he didn't it instead of me trying it out for may self and all I can say is that YOU CANT IMPROVISE ON EXPERIENCE!!! There where A TON of small details that someone else would probably just not pay much importance but he sure took his time so everything came out perfect! Some of these "issues" where:

- when we started moding the nut he noticed that not only was it not cut at a perfect 90 degree angle compared to the neck but also the actual fretboard is a bit bigger on the low E string than the high E string size! He had to make a custom shim for the Floyd nut to sit right and tomorow he will take care of the action.

- the tuner holes had to be enlarged a bit for the tuners, no problem on that BUT he noticed that the holes where not in a straight line.

- I bought the neck body at a special offer because the brindge screw where done not in the correct space... BUT in reality ALL of the cavities where not cut in the right place for the guitar to be set up in the correct scale lenght. This meens that the bridge holes where actually in the correct position compared to everything else on the body but looks like the template sliped back and everything actually was like a 1/4 of an inch moved. So to fixed he had to: a) route the pickup holes and the bridge hole foreward, but doing that there was too little wood to hold the bridge posts in there place that meens he had to add a bit of wood there and in the back of the trem block hole to fill the gap

Tomorow we will see if the action is good or not and see what has to be done in that respect.

In the end I think it will be just what I wanted it to be: a true players guitar with the potential of actually sounding great and looking really good too! Hopefully tomorow it will be done and I can test it out :)

PS:
The neck did gave a nice surprise and that was that when we started doing the oil down version like it was talked about in another thread with Tung Oild and Wax it revealed a NICE GOLDEN COLOR in the mahogany of the neck!!! Its amazing how awesome it looks! Depending on how the light hits it it really looks like it had little spots of gold actually in the wood!!! So I'm happy with this surprise :)
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Hey El, there's always a bunch of little annoyances  :facepalm: . Sounds like the neck was rushed a bit when it was made. What will you do re machine head holes not being in line ?
When I pt a FR on my tele, I copied the Anderson sunken routing so the top of the FR bridge plate is flush with the top.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Wauw it seems it had a few problems,hope it all works out.And we need to see some pics after it's finished.

El Chiguete

« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

What will you do re machine head holes not being in line ?

I will leave it as it is. No major problem at all, just that is you put a ruller from the first to the last one the others wouldnt be 100% in line. It's not noticeable just by looking at it with your eyes.  8)

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

El Chiguete

« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Wauw it seems it had a few problems,hope it all works out.And we need to see some pics after it's finished.

Deffinetly! Need to ask around what friend photographer can help me out because for sure I won't be abble to catch those details using my phone camera jeje.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

It's good you can't see it easily, functionally it should make no difference. When he reams the holes for the machine heads he may be able to correct it slightly ?

Looking forward to some pics  :thumb-up:

El Chiguete

« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Well good News and bad News...

Good News: I was abble to play the guitar and sounds good and looks killer all assemble!

Bad News: we couldnt finish it of because it will need a him on the neck pocket because the pocket hole was cut too deep :( We knew that before hand but the only was to be sure was to have verything put together and see...

Well for tomorow he will have ready the him with the correct size, then we set up the intonation on the bridge and we are good to rock on!!!

Also the series/parallel switch works great and the DiMarzio Súper Distortion really gives some convincing single coil tone like that!!! Marshall you should tired it out!

Finally you will drool over the figuring that the mahogany neck has... It look like it has gold dust inside of the mahogany!!!!!!!!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

The neck angle/height is the main reason to do a sunken route for the FR bridge so the bridge is flush with the top, otherwise you always have to shim the neck. Fender started to include a neck angle adjustment screw along the way (back when they went to the unfortunate 3 screw bolt on, later changed back to 4 screw due to sideways movement).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up