ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I've bought some cheap pickups  (Read 28874 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: So I've bought some cheap pickups
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, Sorry, have been flat out and totally stressed with work  :facepalm: , I'll try and have a listen later tonight.

Boy don't know that feeling  :facepalm:

Sure man no worries  :)

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

Hey RG just had a listen to the 14.5 MB file, sounds very nice to me (but so much is in the fingers and you do very well in that area  :thumb-up: IMHO). Getting more clinical (which isn't easy given so many variables), the PU sounds quite nice, interesting, open. a bit middy (but nice articulation), depends what you want. I still like my Ultrasonics more, but hey it's a contender  :thumb-up: (again IMHO). But then you made it sing  >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

Glad you liked it Richard.  Could you notice much in the more gainier clips?

There is a bit of body missing sure but jeeez it cost $18.  I think it has a nice articulation.  It may sound better though in another guitar.  That squier has unusual holes in the body going from the  bridge pickup cavity through to the trem spring cavity.  They are quite large holes so I believe these holes have caused some extra brightness in the axe and also less bottom end.  So perhaps the guitar needs a darler pickup and not the H32.  Just thinking out loud here.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

Het RG, I hear what you are saying, but for an $18 PU it's pretty decent.  PU rolling is a pain, I like some of the newer wiring harnesses that use connectors and PCB in the guitar (well sort of like them) as you could do PU swapping a bit more easily.  Wonder what the holes between cavities in the squire are all about  :crazy: only one I'm familiar with is for the bridge earth wire (the "god" connection LoL), like the jaws of life on a Floyd Rose (vital...). Seems a good idea to put it in another guitar (you have a few  >:D ) and hear the difference. You can probably eq a bit of body into the sound, what you can't eq in easily (if at all) is articulation, and I though it did very well in that area  :thumb-up:   It sounded as good (if not better (i.e. seemed to have a nice character, like my latest MP2 purchase, it's got a really nice character to it)) as the SD JB I tried in my Epiphone SG years ago, it's still in the cupboard with the SD Alnico neck PU (the standard swap out for a Gibson style guitar in the day), neither floated my boat, so I went for Gibson 57 re-issue (~$300 ouch, but sound great, again have character).

DorsetRatt

« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

Just a thought ... have you considered swapping out the magnet in the pickup? Maybe use a roughcast Alnico V in place of the Ceramic magnet, or perhaps an Alnico II to get more organic? It's quite an inexpensive way of experimenting with pickups, just a few quid per magnet and 20 mins work.
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

hey DR, not thought of that.  They actually sell an Alinco 2 version so they do :)

Also I get very different results using the MP1 3TM.

The Peavey Rockmaster as much as I adore it can be thin in certain scenarios or less bassy depending on your perspective.  I personally find this no issue for DI recording  because I find I take all the bass out of guitar anyway once I start to mix it so it sits well with me.  The DP100 seemed to have more body using the Rockmaster in comparison.  H32 has plenty of body using the 3tm, I'll post some results when I get round to it to let you all hear the difference.

DR what is involved in swapping out a magnet?  I have never thought of such a modification before.  I dunno where the magnet is either, I guess its behind the brass plate?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #66 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, generally, magnets are either on the bottom of the PU (1 or sometimes 2) and the pole pieces (made of ? mostly iron) bring the magnetic field up to the strings (typically humbucker type/size PUs) or the pole pieces are the magnets (Alnico generally) so they don't need/have a big magnet underneath (strat PUs). Adjusting how close a pole piece is to a string will change it's (the strings) volume. But also the magnetic field can (and does) affect the strings spin (pitch etc), so close enough for best signal to noise, not to close to affect tuning and you can balance across string gauges for volume of each string (pedantic but possible (e.g. staggered stat PUs))

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #67 on: Time Format »

ok I made that sound like I was stupid there,  I know where the magnets are on pickups that you can see it beneath like a lot of single coil;s etc but on this humbucker it has a brass plate underneath.  Like most humbuckers I see it has a baseplate.  Is the magnet on the other side of this?  I doubt I'll swap it but good to know how to these things.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #68 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, on the other side of the baseplate is where the magnet will be, under the pole pieces of each coil. Designs vary, and earlier PUs didn't have a baseplate, some had a big(ish) magnet centered between the coils, some had individual magnets centered under each coil.
While it's good to understand the many variables in PU design etc. in the end we just want a PU that sounds good and exemplifies our playing with the rest of our gear.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #69 on: Time Format »

There's a few posts on the Seymour Duncan forum regarding magnet swapping ... they get quite enthusiastic about it.

I did one recently with a Dimarzio Paf Pro neck pickup ... swapped the Alnico V for Alnico II. Rather than buy a replacement pickup I listened to what I did/didn't like with the Paf Pro in my guitar and selected a new magnet accordingly. I based my decision on the information below (from the SD forum), and my results matched.

A2 - Lots of mids, not much treble, loose low end, low output, and lots of vintage dynamics. Used in the bridge and neck.

A3 - Like an A2 but with more treble and less low end. Pretty much used in the neck slot, but has potential for fattening up the bridge.

A4 - Flat EQ, and for that reason some consider it bland. Lets the natural EQ of the guitar and PU come thru. Moderate output. Good in the neck or bridge.

A5 - Most popular alnico. Fairly high output, lots of treble and bass, scooped mids. Great in the neck slot (if not too bassy), and can be thin in the bridge.

All of these can be found as 'roughcast' too (lumpy pitted surfaces), that smooth out the high end, probably due to a more complex magnetic field. RC's are probably used mostly in the bridge location.

A2, A3, and A4 are all unoriented. A5's are almost always oriented. Unoriented A5's (UOA5) became available recently from Addiction FX and sound like a blend of the best characteristics of A2's and A5's. They're much warmer than a typical A5, but with more treble than an A2. Lots of dynamics.
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #70 on: Time Format »

That's some very interesting info, thanks DoresetRatt!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up