ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP-2 Firmware v 1.33  (Read 424 times)

Gregg

ADA MP-2 Firmware v 1.33
« on: Time Format »

I just made a backup copy of my brother's MP-2's v 1.33 firmware.  Wanted to share those files here. 

If you have a EPROM programmer, you can burn your own in case you damage yours.  The EPROM I found in place was a NM27C256Q200 which is a 27C256 with a 200ns speed in a 28 pin DIP package.   Any 27C256 that is 200ns or faster (smaller number) be suitable, for example 27C256 100ns.  They are available at Jameco and other suppliers.

Hoping I will have a copy of the 1.41 firmware soon thanks to folks here.

Gregg

BIN format: MP-2 Firmware v 1.33.bin
HEX format: MP-2 Firmware v 1.33.hex

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: ADA MP-2 Firmware v 1.33
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

My chip is on the way, be there Monday

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Gregg, thanks for posting the files though I don't know why anyone would want to stay at that version  :dunno: .
As advised in PM, I'll post MikeBs 1.41 EPROM on Monday, so it will be EPROM city at you place LoL. 

@Dante, can you download the 1.33 files (Gregg put them on DropBox) and put a copy in the Schematics & Modification post.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Gregg

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Agree - Posted 1.33 for archive / historical purposes.

Once I have 1.41 I will do the same. It will be the thing I put into my brother’s MP-2s.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Fantastic.  We've never had the EPROM images on here before, it's a good resource to add.

Gregg

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Forgot to mention this device, GQ-4X, and a UV eraser is all you need to copy and burn firmware EPROMs.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Gregg, thanks for posting the files though I don't know why anyone would want to stay at that version  :dunno: .

As it turned out, both of my MP-2s are V1.33. That's why I passed the ball to Dante. Considering I never had any performance issues with either of my MP-2s, I thought they must have been the latest firmware, and you guys already know I've gigged out with these up until ten years ago. I had those videos posted on my old bookface page which is now defunct.
I'll probably buy an upgrade chip or two, and try it in one of my MP-2s and see what kind of difference it makes.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, the main difference is they added the fast program change so it changes at pretty much the same speed your MP-1s do.  After you install the EPROM, you go to the Global menu and find the program speed parameter setting, change from Normal to Fast.  When I first bought my MP-2 I had been using MP-1 for ages and was used to the speed I could change patches, which, as you know, you have to practice and get just right (well depending on the song).  The original MP-2 EPROM patch change speed was almost - go get a coffee and wait.... oh I've changed now.  I'm exaggerating but that's how it felt. They very quickly released a new EPROM (free upgrade) which had the fast (I would call normal) setting added.  Now I'm just going off what we got here in Oz.  I don't remember what the original version was when I bought it, but I was probably one of the first here to buy one and the update came pretty soon after.  That update was 1.41 as it's still in my original MP-2 and I only changed it that once.  So I don't know if they went through a few versions in the US as in, why v1.33 :dunno: and were there any more versions before 1.41? (e.g. 1.35, 1.40, etc.). 

Check if your 1.33 has the Normal/Fast program change setting (in the global menu, i.e. where you also assign an expression pedal to be Overall Master Volume (CC) which I use all the time now).  I don't recall the EPROM upgrade did anything else, maybe??  All we know now is 1.41 was the last ADA released for the MP-2.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Richard,

I never had that problem with either of my MP-2s. They change just as fast as the MP-1, or I wouldn't have been able to use them live. The fact that I have and had no issues says something.
I did try the Master Volume function, but I don't like it. First, there is a noticeable signal drop when that is engaged, and it thins out the sound as you back off. I never use that. If I want a volume pedal, I'll use the EB Musicman ones that I bought to use as expression pedals for the Ground Control. I'll just plug one into the input of the preamp, and voila! Master Volume.

It doesn't sound like V1.41 has anything to offer mew that I don't already have :dunno:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, maybe 1.41 makes the master vol work better?  I don't have any issues with it like you describe, I find it works perfectly, albeit you have to "latch" it initially like all CC thingys.  When I turn the MP-2 on I sweep the pedal full up then off and it's all good.  It's been very handy as I typically only use 3 or 4 patches these days and I use the vol pedal for solo boost with the same patch.  Anyway, there must be some difference between 1.33 and 1.41 or why did they release it??  I just don't know what they are.  Maybe MJMP or someone else knows ?? 

Did you look in the menu and confirm you have the normal and fast patch change option with 1.33?
Pages: [1]   Go Up