ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tubes Advice  (Read 115425 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: New Tubes Advice
« Reply #105 on: Time Format »

The main reason tubes don't last as long these days is they are not pumped as long (see tube article post here somewhere).  In the old days tube makers had their own metallurgy sections also to play around with different alloys etc for cathode anode etc.  But longevity (as long as the tube is used within specs) is more about the vacuum (like a light bulb, they can make them last forever (ish) and do for ships by pumping more/better vacuum to handle the vibrations). Also on/off hot/cold cycles have an effect (not just on tubes, but all components). The amp makers (the biggest consumer of tubes) have no reason to have tubes last a long time, for them it's good if they can sell you some new tubes every year or two.
Original ADA tubes were specked (in ADA manuals) IIRC to be changed MP1 ~ 2 years, and MP2 ~ 1 year. Also the manual notes to let your tubes cool down before you move the unit.
My personal experience, the original Chinese tubes in bot MP1 and MP2 lasted for ages (so very well pumped, well made), the Boogie STRs I put in the MP1 we only just changed out recently (though it spent some years in storage while MikeB was in London), although the old ones still work fine.
Also tubes go off slowly so you don't really notice until you put in a new set (e.g. MJMP changes his 3TM tubes every couple of months or so to keep the sound/edge he likes).
An interesting point SC makes is the more articulate tubes are less forgiving (as in track every little nuance of your playing), I like this aspect, others may not.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

darthphineas

« Reply #106 on: Time Format »

The difference in quality over the past 25 years makes total sense. As does any company that wants people coming back all the time....as seen by lack of fuel efficient cars, disposable razors, etc.  lol!

I've been getting vibes from the preamp for at least a week, but it finally got to the point of it really affecting things. I'm not certain about some of the spare tubes I have sitting around, but I did pull the Sovtek from my spare MP-1 (those tubes came with it when I bought it pre-owned last year) and it livened things back up.

Crapping out this soon was a bit of a surprise at first, as the rack is stationary and doesn't leave that room. I also let things warm up for a few minutes before playing and let things set for a few before turning off.   Suppose it's just the times we live in. lol!

It was suggested to me that the tubes in a preamp like this are hot-swappable. I've never done that. I can understand if it might save the power cycle wear on components, but is that safe for the tubes?

darthphineas

« Reply #107 on: Time Format »

Grabbed a few pairs of new JJs at the guitar show today. The same booth had the TAD RT001 as well, so I thoigt I'd try a pair of them. And holy cow. Thanks for the recommendation of the TAD.

First off, it seemed to make the amp louder. Not more gain, just sounded like the volume knob went up.  Sounds like the same voice, but better. Am liking these so far. Not slamming the JJs by any means at all, as I do like the JJs, but the TAD RT001 sounds like someone too a blanket off my cabs. Definitely appreciate being directed to the TAD.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #108 on: Time Format »

Cool good to know, go SC your the man LOL.
(like someone too a blanket off my cabs), same with the Mullards when I first put them in my MP2

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #109 on: Time Format »

This is what´s in my MP-1:

TAD 12AX7A-C in V1
NOS Mullard (Blackburn) ECC83 in V2

...also notice the new tube board (the ones from MJMP) with the slightly bigger size Orange Drop 716P caps.
Large Orange cap on the right is also a tiny mod that made the overall sound more "breathing" like and extended the lower freqs somewhat

El Chiguete

« Reply #110 on: Time Format »

First off, it seemed to make the amp louder. Not more gain, just sounded like the volume knob went up.  Sounds like the same voice, but better. Am liking these so far. Not slamming the JJs by any means at all, as I do like the JJs, but the TAD RT001 sounds like someone too a blanket off my cabs. Definitely appreciate being directed to the TAD.

So where did you put the TAD? V1, V2 or both? Also how did it sound with the OD2 at 0.0? Did it go clean or not? Trader144 mentioned that the Mullard didn't liked ¨my settings¨ idea of working at low levels in OD2.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #111 on: Time Format »

I'm pretty sure I use a TAD in my MP-1 Classic too, the other one is a Sovtek or a JJ...can't remember right now. The TAD is for the clean stuff, the other tube is for your gain stuff. (I think)

gtmm

« Reply #112 on: Time Format »

Great thread! I'm oblivious to the subtleties of tubes, so it's nice to read all the opinions and ideas.

Good stuff!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #113 on: Time Format »

Hey gtmm, Absolutely, and I'm seriously considering a TAD for my MP2, time to roll some tubes lol (thanks SC  :thumb-up: ).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #114 on: Time Format »

Hope this isn't confusing, this thread kind of belongs here... :banana:

El Chiguete

« Reply #115 on: Time Format »

Can't wait to see what Marshall says of the Mullards after he tests them!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #116 on: Time Format »

Hey El, I suspect he will like them for what they are (a "very" articulate high gain low noise tube), it depends allot on what and how you play if they suit you, also his fav Ruby JJs are not shabby tubes. But I'm with you  :thumb-up: very interested (as I'm sure are others) in what he has to say (pressures on MJMP lol).

El Chiguete

« Reply #117 on: Time Format »

What I want to hear more is his direct comparison of the short and the long plates individually and together in different settings of V1 and V2.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

trader144

« Reply #118 on: Time Format »

Ok I have been playing around with the bias software and it is really cool for learning.
One thing that I overlooked is first defining the function of the tube before selecting a tube

So let's say for example I wanted an SRV sound (and I do not plan on using a tube power amp which is important). I would think that most of today uses of the MP-1 are not relying on distortion and compression from a loud power amp as in the past so I am using the MP-1 differently than in the past.

Sound goal: My OD1 would be a tube screamer that I kick on and off, but OD2 would always be set to sound like a Fender Vibroking at stage level volume (please ignore the equipment specifics)

What this means in the above example is that I should find a tube that sounds perfect in OD2 when it is set at very high levels (say 9.0) so I am maxing that tube out and getting my primary Vibroking stage level sound (round thick articulate with stingy distortion).

Then, I add the extra tube screamer sound via OD1. At low levels OD1 is basically clean and at high levels the thicker distortion kicks in.

But it doesn't seem to work this way because the distortion from OD2 gets really thick at low levels. OD2 of course is a preamp but it does have a different type of saturation than OD1.

So it seems like I should put something fat round and articulate in OD2 that stings only at high levels but does not provide a lot of distortion at 9.0.  This way I always drive OD2 at one consistent high level. If the mullard is the right color but too much distortion should I go with an 12AT7/12AY7/12AV7 so that I get the color but only stingy distortion at say 9.0 on OD2?

Found this interesting comparison:
Gain Factor of common 12A*7 tubes.

12AU7 = 20
12AV7 = 41
12AY7 = 45
12AT7 = 60
5751 = 70
12AX7 = 100

David
« Last Edit: Time Format by trader144 »
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #119 on: Time Format »

Can't wait to see what Marshall says of the Mullards after he tests them!

Have,'t got the time yet.I need 48 hour days  :lol:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up