ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running Direct  (Read 12376 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Running Direct
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Some of the best tones I've heard are Trevor Rabin (Yes "owner of a lonely heart" etc and Look Away solo album) but I suspect he used MP2 (as do I).

Dante seems to know more about the Classic than anyone, I've not used one.  The cab sims work well I understand, precursors to the MP2 cab sims which I know work well as I use them often and, as previous post, you can run a MP1 into the MP2 effects returns and pick up the stereo cab sims.  Alternately, you can use the ADA GCS-3 cab sim (is a mono unit) in the MP1 effects loop and get stereo cab simmed outs, I've tried this and it also works well.
Paul Gilbert (Mr Big et al) and Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme) got great sounds from their MP1s, and very different tones, I tend to prefer Paul Gilbert's tones.  But then I made all my own patches.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

mike_mp-1

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I guess if you like the cab sims out of the MP-2 or Classic then yeah, good way to stay compact an not break the back.

Few Factors though:
1: The PA has to be decent enough, good speakers and some good decent subs (not always needed).
2: Stage monitor so that you can here yourself, or in ear monitors.
3: Knowing how to mix and getting good quality sound into the front end and stage monitors.
4: some good quality monitors as well, you want some decent tone to listen to.
5: If the stage mix is at a good enough volume that captures the experience, good to go.
Optional 6: If your playing is good you can impress that way (small rack), if not, then I recommend bringing a huge Marshall stack for show...lol

I understand why people downsize all the time and why they would want to get an AXE FX and so on, but really, just stick to the tone you like few different variations, and some nice cleans you enjoy, and good to go.

Even if you listen to some cover bands, the guys are not out to get the exact tone of the original band, unless you are a band like The Pink Floyd experience and so on, then really, what it the poin tin having 1000 different presets...lol

I find I only use maybe 6 different heavy tones, 2 or 3 crunch sounds, and a couple of different cleans with some effects added. The tones I use are not really copy's of anyone else's tone, even though they may sound similar, but I just play around with what sounds I enjoy and go from there.

I'm going to try MP-2 cab sims out into PA as well and see how the goes will play around a bit.
Never though of going direct, but will miss my 4x12 on stage, but not the back breaking hauling though...lol

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I agree wholeheartedly with Mike_MP-1. I don't copy anybody's tones, I make what I like and see if they fit. There are a couple of exceptions whereby a specific tone & FX are required to nail that song (like most of my U2 covers and a couple others). But, most of the time, I just write what I like and give myself enough variation to cover 45 songs in one night.

I typically use one bank of patches for each guitar like this:
  • 3 cleans (one dry, one wet, one wet with a delay)
  • 3 dirty patches (one classic rock, one more modernish, and one full-on METAL  :metal: )
  • 3 solos (one clean, one modern, one METAL with a big delay)
  • Which leaves one 'wild card' patch for custom stuff

On top of that, I use the Quad switch to make those 10 patches into 30-40 of their own:
  • Switch 1: toggles the delay or reverb
  • Switch 2: toggles the tuner on my clean patches, and the modulation/flanger/chorus on other patches
  • Switch 3: toggles the boost (sometimes it's a flat EQ boost, sometimes it's a compressor boost)
  • Switch 4: toggles the wah (because my FX unit can't recognize the on/off switch in my CC pedal  :hair-out:)

Truth be told, I have been relegated to bringing an amp for the stage volume :facepalm:. Our sound man kept on complaining that he couldn't hear any guitar when standing directly in front of the stage (between the mains). So, I plug my 2u rack into my Boogie combo for ultra portability. My other rig (which I have been using just as much lately) has a Microtube 200 in it, and I bring a couple small 1x12 cabs for that. << read:small rig

With the in-ear-monitors (IEMs) and a decent set of subwoofers, I truly can feel the rumble in the stage just like if there were a big ol' amp back there. It's PLENTY loud enough in my ears too (I have my guitar and my vox cranked in the mix). Did I mention that our IEMs allow each band member to have their own headphone mix? Yeah, we got that.  :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up