Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

Speaker Directivity Modifier

(1/6) > >>

rabidgerry:
Has anyone ever heard of this?

I really fancy trying this as because it sounds like an issue I could do with it.  The guy who designed it knows what he is talking about, although I still don't quite understand.  Sounds like it works though.

It may not appeal to anyone on here but it certainly interests me enough to try it.  I experience this unfortunate death ray of trebel all the time and I would like to alleviate the issue if its possible.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar-Amplifier-Speaker-Directivity-Modifier-Bea/

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=470956

rnolan:
Hey RG, try it and tell us how it goes, personally, I wouldn't bother, I'm not denying the science makes some sense, but god invented quad boxes for a reason LOL

MarshallJMP:
Or you can change the grill cloth with some like the old basket weave cloth that marshall used back in 60's?

rabidgerry:
I am certainly going to try this.  Honestly if you find the time start reading those threads.  I discovered by accident and once I started reading I was kinda blown away.

The whole directivity thing is a complete nightmare.  I hate only being able to stand in one spot for sound at shows and also in rehearsal room.  I always eq standing on axis so I would like to enjoy amps where it didn't matter whether I was on axis or off axis.

Not sure about basket weave stuff MJMP,  I think the theory is for all cabs that suffer from directivity issues, and in my experience that's every cab I have ever played.  The foam addition is also to only fill the speaker baffle for each driver. and this is regardless of the material used for the grill (metal/material/basketweave).  You can't just use any foam either, it has to be open cell and a certain density as well as thickness.

I'm trying it when I get the foam and the time.  Spent an entire day yesterday playing about with 4 difference speaker drivers and mixing and matching, still didn't get through everything I wanted to get through either so I will have to try the foam thing when I have a spare day that I am not rehearsing or playing on.

MarshallJMP:
Well i've seen alot of things and solutions for various problems over the years and usually you end up making it all back original.Mostly you gain one thing and have to give up something else.But there's no harm in trying i guess  :thumb-up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version