Non ADA Gear > Amps

Time for Power tubes; EL84s

(1/4) > >>

Dante:
Hi Y'all,

Just played a great gig on the patio of a local brewpub last Friday night. The breeze kept the hot temps from killing us, and put a nice layer of dust on all our equipment, since there was an empty lot next door. My amp has a plexiglass front, so I could easily see all the dust inside the next day. I took the amp apart and dusted it out.

It was then that I realized my tubes were all Groove Tubes - all the preamp tubes and power amp tubes. All this time, I thought I saw the red circle on each tube as a JJ, but it was the GT logo.... I'm pretty sure there are better options out there.

Not that I've been unhappy at all with the sound of that amp, it can do everything, very versatile. I just think I'll try some different EL84s in the power section first, to see if I get any clean headroom (that's about the only drawback, it's a struggle to get clean headroom with some guitars/pickups).

I have a boatload of preamp tubes I can try, but one thing at a time....let's swap out those power tubes

I'm leaning towards some Tung Sols, also looking at JJs and TADs. The JJs are notorious for sounding great and dying quickly, but they're cheap so you can buy extras. The Tung Sols are probably getting the nod so far

Harley Hexxe:
Dante,

Personal choice: TAD

JJs, like you said. cheap but die quickly. I'm hearing through the grapevine that Tung-sols and EHX are just rebranded JJs, but I don't know that to be a fact.

BTW, How are the cabs working out for outdoor gigs?

Dante:
I have no problem with TADs, I believe I can get them from TubeDepot

Cabs; Working beautifully, drummer is very pleased ;) Thanks man

rnolan:
Hey Dante, nice little setup and range of guitars to pick from  :whoohoo!: .  Are you sure the wedges have enough power (2500 w)  >:D .  New Sensor do the Tung-sols last I looked (so being Russian, may be hard to get??). EHX are definitely rebadged, probably JJs but maybe Chinese??.  Interesting with the GTs, when I opened up my Carvin TS100 it has all GTs (4 x 12 AX7s and 4 x 6L6s), they sound fine (nice and clean) and look really nice.  When I eventually retube it I'll probably go for Mullard long plate 12AX7s and Mullard EL34s.

Harley Hexxe:
Dante,

I'm glad that worked out with the cabs, and also that the drummer is happy with it, but the most important thing is; does it still fill the air with enough guitar out in the open. It seems like it does. Anyway, it was a cheaper fix than buying new speakers.  :thumb-up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version