ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to the future (hi from OZ)  (Read 9984 times)

onedge custom

Back to the future (hi from OZ)
« on: Time Format »

having just hung up my AXEFX2, I wanted a rack solution based on the glory days... just landed an MP-2 and now going down the rabbit whole to source an add an MP-1

still getting my head around the fact that gear from the 90's is considered "vintage" (seemed like yesterday)

A/DA gear is hard to source here, so have found this forum an invaluable resource!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Back to the future (hi from OZ)
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Bruce, again welcome to the depot  :wave: , Mmm MP-2, still my personal preference.  Though I loved my MP-1, haven't tried a MP-1 classic yet, Nunz (Gambale/pro audio) didn't bring them into Oz (IIRC) :facepalm:
Did you get your MP-2 with the ADA MXC and pedal pack ? (midi controller)

"Vintage" mmm (in some ways I spose) I find the ADA preamps etc timeless, I'm still to hear something that's better  :dunno: (or mostly even gets close)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Welcome to the Depot Bruce :thumb-up:

Richard will be more than happy to get you up and running with the MP-2.

@ Richard;

Bruce isn't the first to refer to ADA gear as 'Vintage," in fact, may places that list them  refer to them that way. Kind of makes you feel old, doesn't it?

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Bruce isn't the first to refer to ADA gear as 'Vintage," in fact, may places that list them  refer to them that way. Kind of makes you feel old, doesn't it?

Harley 8)

Yeah it does  ;)

onedge custom

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I got it off reverb... imported from the states so is 110v but I have a very good step down (tortech isolated) running into a Furman so is quiet quiet quiet.

$280 posted (still spinning out over that considering why they were selling for back in the day)

Is Bruce a reference to finding nemo?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey onedge custom, no Bruce is from the Monty Python sketch where all the Australians were called Bruce (new guy turns up, they are all called Bruce so they say "mind if we call you Bruce" (to save confusion), and it seems to have caught on  :facepalm: sorry, I was being flippant LoL (and, as Harley points out, showing my age). Hey $280 is a good score  :thumb-up: (US or AUD ??), IIRC I paid $2.5k for my first one (new) back in the day.  I consider $500 AUD a reasonable price for one in good nick and a bit more if it comes with the MXC pedal pack. PM or email me if you want/need to, happy to help you get the best from your MP-2  >:D Though Harley (and others here) knows a thing or 2 about them as well.

Hey Harley, sure does (58 later this year but still strumming  :whoohoo!: ). MJMP, you're still a young an LoL  :metal: , well it's all relative  :lol:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well I don't call 50 young hahaha but I feel like 18  ::)

onedge custom

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

45 at this end... good calibre (pun intended).

Turns out Dale Sherlock is more than happy to dive into an MP-2 so I am going to get the Noise Mod kit from MarshallJMP (email sent) and get the work done as well as the R611 service update.

I am not actually sure if it needs it.

Voices 7 - 10 are "noisy" with the gate out but not like the cascading oscillation that seems to be the case with the examples on Youtube. it is for sure LOTS noisier than the AXEFX (well doh), so ANYTHING that reduces the noise floor is an advantage here but is it noisier than say a goosed 6505/5153 without a gate??? I don't really think so... :headbanger:)

Anyway a cap job is not a bad thing, so bugger it... in for a penny, in for a pound.

(still cant get over how good this thing is though... It "feels" like a high gain amp and is piece of piss easy to set up after the Fractal stuff)

Bruce...

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey mate, your catching up LoL.  Good to hear you are enjoying the MP-2, they are great preamps and very well appointed (albeit a bit complicated for some  :facepalm: ). Do you have a midi pedal to switch it ?  It supports a bunch of midi CC commands/controls (not just patch change like the MP-1), the one I always use is the stereo master volume.

You may find R611 (noise gate chatter) is already done  :dunno: , it was mostly the very early units that needed the mod as it became stock after they released the fix.  To check, read the mod notes, locate R611 (middle/front of PCB (check layout chart)) and check the colour bands on the resister. But get MJMP to include one for you as well as R913 in the kit. Also what EPROM version is it (displays on startup), the last firmware EPROM upgrade was v1.41, if yours is earlier then also grab one of those from MJMP AND a new front input jack (he knows the correct switchcraft part number (longer thread)), and if you're up for it a new display (they fade over time) (may as well get it all in one postage).

All the high gain voices pretty much need the gate, these days I'm using V5 (warm vintage) mostly and I find it's got plenty of gain for most things and doesn't need the gate (a couple of my patches are in the MP-2 patch area).  These are stage ready patches BTW.

You'll need a decent stereo multi Fx processor for delays and mmmm reverb.  You can run that in the MP-2 stereo parallel loop.  And the cab sims work very well for recording or DI into desk (I use the 2 x 12 setting, I find the 4 x 12 a little less "open" for how I play these days). You can also plug other preamps (eg MP-1) into the MP-2 Fx returns and just use the cab sims, works well.

Cheers R

onedge custom

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Firmware 1.33...

Is the upgrade to 1.4 simply inserting the new EPROM? (MarshallJMP, can you add the 1.41 EPROM to my invoice?)

Running it with a TC Electronics G major but also have a Boss Gx700 in storage.

Cabinets are via a Two Notes Torpedo CAB (hahaha) smashes it!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Onedge,

WELCOME to the Depot!

My MP-2 has been getting noisy too, I've just been using my MP-1 Classic. I will figure out where the noise is, I believe it's on those high gain voicings only (can't remember...I'm 51, which is an 18 year old with 33 years experience). I need to hook up that thing and figure it out once & for all. That poor MP-2 of mine has been through the wringer - a couple times.

Dante

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Firmware 1.33...

Is the upgrade to 1.4 simply inserting the new EPROM? (MarshallJMP, can you add the 1.41 EPROM to my invoice?)

Just saw this, still in need of the eprom?

onedge custom

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I am... have sent you another email.

Can you check out and come back to me?

(Also confirm the PayPal address)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

One of the best upgrades in the later EPROM is faster patch changes, the MP-2 was a bit sluggish initially.  It adds a patch change speed parameter to the system menu (normal or Fast) Not sure what else it brought in, but is easy to change, remove the current EPROM, insert the new one, bobs your uncle..

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I am... have sent you another email.

Can you check out and come back to me?

(Also confirm the PayPal address)

Check your mail!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up