ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ah the joys of troubleshooting  (Read 7873 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Ah the joys of troubleshooting
« on: Time Format »

So...I power up my rig and my Boss GX-700 display is FUBAR. It's showing a row of boxes and a blank row beneath...no characters at all. Luckily, I have another unit, and I figure I can just cannibalize that display for my main unit.

So...I try to take my rack apart and remove the GX-700. I find that I have a stripped rack screw that i have to drill out, but I have spares. Drilling commences, the screw drops out, and I can now remove that clip. I get the unit out, take the screws from the cover (quite a few of these BTW), and look inside. It looks pretty clean in there, nothing out of place.

I make sure all the ribbon cables are plugged into the display screen and I power up the unit to see if the display is still broken....NOPE. It's fine.   :facepalm:

So, I put the whole shebang back together and figure out I have my cables connected wrong again  :facepalm:  but get it sorted out.

An hour later, my rig is back to where it was before I started....except now the display is magically working and I have a bunch of tools to put away

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Ah the joys of troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,

One thing I find that helps in a rig with a lot of connections is to label the cable ends for their respective connection points. Especially if you are plugging and unplugging a lot.
   Small adhesive labels and a sharpie with some clear scotch tape over it can help simplify this setup.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

But having your patch cables the wrong way round wouldn't affect the screen, sounds like it was ribbon cable  :dunno: came a little loose

Anyway glad it's working now, and you've also fixed the stripped screw  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Most likely, one of those cable connectors had a tiny amount of oxidization on the mating pins.
This is quite common; happens to my old Viewsonic VP201b computer monitor at some 3-4 years intervals.

BTW: I'd warn against cleaning connectors using emerald cloth - or sandpaper! :facepalm: :lol:
Sometimes, those fibreglas brushes shaped like a lipstick can be handy, but do note that they can still damage surface coatings.

Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, AKA baking soda, in a mild dilution, is your friend - but do make sure you can get to clean it off again, using alcohol.
BTW, Tequila is pretty good for cleaning; actually, is good for a lot of things ;)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

When you get this on your lcd, it means that either the cpu didn't start or the display didn't get any or wrong data.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

@ Sinn,

I just use a pencil eraser :thumb-up:

vansinn

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Yup, forgot the eraser. Can be really good for cleaning contacts et al - as long as those aren't too thin or flimsy.
When they're thin and fragile, just always stroke 'away' i.e. from their attachment and towards the end/edge.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

When you get this on your lcd, it means that either the cpu didn't start or the display didn't get any or wrong data.

The unit still worked, so I'm guessing it was just the ribbon cable was loose. I didn't feel it move or anything...

Harley: That's a good idea about labeling the cables...I have a piece of paper with the 4cm written on it - lol!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Of course one of those labelers at WalMart would work too.

Is it possible you could have had a plug in a "Remote" jack? Maybe that could have sent wrong information to the processor.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Of course one of those labelers at WalMart would work too.

Is it possible you could have had a plug in a "Remote" jack? Maybe that could have sent wrong information to the processor.

I don't go to Walmart - it's a thing.

I didn't move the cables until I noticed the problem. Until that point, it was working fine & then not.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I try to avoid Walmart myself, relatively easy to do here though LoL  ::) .

What you saw on the screen is the same as what I get (from time to time) running the MP2 on a dodgy generator (totally different cause though).  But in this situation, the only fix is power cycle the MP2 (why does it always happen in the middle of solos... :facepalm: ).  Anyway haven't had an issue since I bought the 750kva UPS, and when the genny runs out of petrol (gas?), I get to keep playing  :whoohoo!: :metal: .

vansinn

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

No gas genny, no hydrogen fuel-cell or batteries here. I run on the Taurus Field / Zero-point energy; always stays constant. Om!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey R, that's some serious power, but I guess you mean 750VA (750kVA is 750.000 VA)  ;D

vansinn

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

^ more power to the people!  Can never get enough!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Doh  :facepalm: , thanks MJMP, correct.  Actually I just looked at it, it's a 1 KVA,
Pages: [1]   Go Up