ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?  (Read 28541 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Ok, Here's my 2 cents:

I own a pair of dbx 463x noise gates which are half rack units. They're very easy to use, and quite effective with one knob for the Threshold setting and a slider for the gating. The only reason I even own noise gates are for the MP-1 since those are the only preamps which don't have built-in noise gates.
    Since you are just getting into building your rack, you might want to experiment with the placement of your effects in the signal chain. From the rig pic you posted, I see you are using stomp boxes which for me, always posed an interesting dilemma. The stomps I thought sounded the best were usually on the noisy side. Modulation-based effects, I would put in through the front of the preamp, whereas time-based effects I would use in the loop. Placing the noise gate at the beginning of the effects loop to cut the noise before going to the delays and the power amps, seems to be the best results for me.
    I would look at noise gates on evil bay. You'd probably find a good deal there.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

PrimalScream91

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

My current rig runs:

Dunlop GCB 95 (Keeley "Mellow Wah" Mod)
TC Electronic Helix Phase
Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest Overdrive (Colorsound Overdriver Clone)
MXR Analog Chorus
TC FlashbackX4
CAE Line Driver

As I said I was initially going straight in, but I'm definitely going to experiment with running things in the loop.

So it looks like I can choose between the Decimator, HUSH, and DBX. I might end up going with one of the latter two simply because of price (I've other things to invest in), but I might spring for the decimator at a later date.
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

PrimalScream91,

The dbx units I have are no longer made. They were discontinued around 1990. Since then, the Harmon Group bought Lexicon, Digitech, DOD, and dbx. They've totally changed everything around. The downside to the dbx units I have is that they don't have grounded AC plugs, so you have to use them with a power conditioner or they'll fry at a club with sub-standard wiring. That happened to me once, and it's a pain in the a$$!
    I would look around for a dedicated noise gate, without a compressor/limiter since I don't need that in a rack. Why get all that extra stuff that I won't use? It just gets in the way.

Harley 8)

PrimalScream91

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Why get all that extra stuff that I won't use? It just gets in the way.

Harley 8)

I agree! Which is why I never bought into the Fractal stuff, I don't see anyone using more than 10% of it's potential. Thats also the reason why I've not looked into multi-fx units that much.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Why get all that extra stuff that I won't use? It just gets in the way.

Harley 8)

I agree! Which is why I never bought into the Fractal stuff, I don't see anyone using more than 10% of it's potential. Thats also the reason why I've not looked into multi-fx units that much.

Don't take what I said the wrong way, SOME multi effects units are pretty good. I own a few of them, and the great thing about them is that you can edit out the effects you don't want in one instance, and call them up later in another instance. It's a space saver no doubt, but you have to be aware that many of these units will also "color" the tone of your amplifier, and this includes  the high-end gear too.  Eventide Harmonizers and Lexicon Reverbs have long been considered the industry standards in high-end processing, but they do add a distinct character when they are applied to a signal chain. I own both and I use them sparingly, when I need them.
    For a pure A/DA tone from my amplifiers, I like to use my A/DA effects and maybe add a bit of Reverb with a Lexicon, but all the other processors are usually A/DA. That's the great thing about an analog signal path, it sounds more believable than an over-processed tone. An example of a great guitar player who had a very over-processed guitar tone would be Richie Sambora from Bon Jovi.

Harley 8)

PrimalScream91

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Richie Sambora is one that a lot of people forget about! The guy is an amazing guitar player but really doesn't get that much credit, I guess thats the price you pay for backing a solo artist.

Steve Stevens is an amazing player as well, but a lot of people don't know who he is because he's "just the guitar player" for Billy Idol.

Samuraipanda

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Steve Stevens is an amazing player as well, but a lot of people don't know who he is because he's "just the guitar player" for Billy Idol.

Steve Stevens is one of my all time favorites. Especially as I started my guitar journey learning Flamenco and Classical when I was 10. His work on the Jerusalem Slim and Vince Neil solo CD's is amazing.

If you were looking to buy a NS-2, I'd sell you mine. I'm not using it and it's in very good shape.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Steve Stevens is one of my favorite guitar players as well, but he doesn't sound over-processed like Richie Sambora does. His guitar tone sounds very organic, and he is very imaginative with his use of effects.

Check out his solo album, Flamenco A Go Go, and Vince Neil's Exposed as Panda suggests. Those are excellent albums.

Harley 8)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I too think Steve Stevens is an underrated guitarist.  As far as his tone the Billy Idol and Vince Neil lps sound good but his soundtrack for Top Gun is majorly over processed.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

@RG Well yes no pedals for me and I like to use 2 gates (before, after the MP-1)

And BTW I still own a Japanese NF-1,it was my first noise gate and never got rid of it.In my pedal board I have a NS-2.
Now I think of it I also have a Hush in my Rocktron patchmate but I never used it.
@ MJMP

I've heard of a technique called double gating before, and read about this but not in a guitar setup, this was for recording vocals actually.

So I guess you are employing a similar technique by using two gates.  So you have two decimators in your rack?

I dunno how strange it is of me to do what I do, but I use noise reduction on my FX unit (GT5) as loosly as possible and I just have it after the preamp in the FX chain.  I use it loosley so as to be very clear of any tone degradation.  Usually around 45%.  Just enough to take out the noise.  I could take it to about 55-60% I guess if I wanted.  To help things naturally I've made my guitar as anti feedback as possible, i.e sponge under the pickups, wax potted the pickups to my own standard, dampened the tremolo springs.

Since I got rid of the ground loop also, life has got waaaayy better! But I'll update that thread seperately.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

No, the decimator pro G rack has 2 separate gates in 1 rack. Been using this technique for years, it works better and it also gives no gate chatter at all. And the open/close speed of the gates in the decimator is super fast.
I use a gate not only for noise but also for feedback killing.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

That's where MJMP and I differ, I use EQ to eliminate unwanted feedback, (Graphics are so good for this), and I let the musical feedback come through. It's amazing how many guitar players these days have no idea what "sweet spots" are on a stage.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Ok you can do that but it will always alter your sound, no?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Not by that much. I don't have much of an issue with any microphonic feedback to begin with, so it's more like a tone-shaping EQ which is what we do anyway to get the kind of tone we want to hear.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

I guess it all depends on how much gain you use and the volumes you play at.I don't think I could rule out feedback with just an EQ.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up