ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using MP-2 live  (Read 7098 times)

nomorepeople

Using MP-2 live
« on: Time Format »

Here is footage of from a couple of recent shows I played in my band No More People using my Carvin DC 727 -> ADA MP-2 -> Rocktron Velocity 300 1 Space -> Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 (I won't mention the G Major because I just got it and it is largely not used yet).  You can find out more about our band at https://www.Faceb**k.com/nomorepeopleband and if you live in or coming through Charlotte, NC we'll be happy to play a show with you. 

In The Dollar We Trust

Let's Go Upstairs

Kiss Your Nightmare From our drum machine era

Haunted & Tortured
« Last Edit: Time Format by nomorepeople »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Using MP-2 live
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Cool  :thumb-up: , my fav is Kiss your Nightmare, followed by Haunted and Tortured, my taste  :wave: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Nice,you guys have a special sound to your songs,original sounding to me.My fav song are In the dollar we trust and Haunted.

nomorepeople

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Appreciate the feedback, rnolan and MarshallJMP.  MP-2 and I go back to when I did a college-station metal radio show about 15 years ago, during the dark days of the Limp Bizkit administration.  Pretty much everyone who listened to the show ended up hanging out with us at some point and one of them was an old-school thrash metal guy who is big into Carcass, Obituary, Death, Exodus, Kreator, Overkill and his tone was amazing.  It was a Jackson Japanese soloist into the MP-2 through a JCM 900 head into a JCM 900 stack.  First time I heard the preamp, I knew that was the tone and had to get it.  His setup still sounds better than mine (I need to get him to put some recordings up) but I'm happy with my rhythm tone.  Still working on a lead tone, between mixing the right MP-2 tone with the right g-major delay.   

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Yeah I quite liked your rhythm tone (as good as it can sound via a camcorder, the best sounding mix (IMO) was Kiss your Nightmare as the camera was more in the middle...).
This is posted in the MP2 patches:
Lead Patch (used to be my main rhythm patch)
Voice    9 Ultra High Gain
Drive    70
OD    100
Master    77
Comp    Out
Lo     +2
Mid    -6
Hi     +6
Pres    +6
100 Hz    0
170     +2
280    -6
470    -2
800    -2
1.3kHz    -2
2.2    -4
3.8     +2
6.3    -2
Wah    Out
Trem    Out
NR    In, Fader, Thres 25
Chorus    In Depth 100, rate 0.0
EffLoop    Out (or in if you want to run your GMaj in the loop (which is the best spot for it BTW))

This would maybe be a good starting point for a lead patch. Hey try it a hear/see.
FX maybe try a short stereo delay (you are running it all in stereo I hope ?? if not do it and it will blow you away  >:D ) and a bit of chamber reverb (a little smaller and tighter than room reverbs). Here's my main FX setting:
FX  Quadverb:
Stereo Delay L 120ms/FB 26% R 240ms/FB 36%
Pitch Mode = Stereo Chorus, Squarewave, LFO Sp 01/ depth 63/ pitch FB 37%
Reverb = Chamber1 predelay 74ms/ Rev decay 50/ diffusion 6/ density 7

Now this comment is based on the clip sound (so take it in context), maybe try a bit more presence eq (not much) just to get a little bit more cut and definition.
Hey I'm being pedantic (as is my way with sound LoL) but lets see how/if we can get you sounding as good as you want and as good if not better than you mate  :thumb-up:

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Cool stuff!   

I like hearing people using their ADA for things a bit outside the stereotypical genres they're known for.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...   8)

nomorepeople

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Thank you, rnolan for the tone.  I programmed that into user 119 as you listed it except the mids on the graphic eq aren't cut us much as your settings and it sounds a lot better than the lead tone I had and also sounds good on power chords - either way, makes a good mix with my reverb/delay settings on my gmajor.  Interesting to note that I was using a different power amp on Kiss Your Nightmare (ADA B200s) than I was on the other recordings (Rocktron Velocity 300) although the camera was closer to the amp on Kiss Your Nightmare than the other ones.   The Velocity sounds pretty much like the B200s until you turn the reactance knob up, which sounds "cooler" but the butt end of turning the knob up is it adds mud when turned up all the way, even though it adds a cool punch.  Kim, you're right, the MP2 can be used for pretty much anything, Doom, hard rock, thrash and I'm sure those clean chorus tones would sound good with a gospel band. I've had a few different MP-1's, all of which were modded.  I used to have the 3.666 and 3tm and now I currently just have the MP-1 with the Voodoo mod but none of them cover as much sonic ground/genres as the MP-2 and that's why the MP-2 stays in my live 4-space rack.   

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Cool, glad it worked out for you  :thumb-up: .  The speakers I used to make that patch are ADA slant split stacks loaded with 90w Boogie Celetions (which are more middy than standard Celetions), also it started life as a rhythm patch. Amp was B200s so seems a good fit for your setup as a starting point. One problem with ADA patches is when to say stop... that's the tone I want or you could tweak them forever LoL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up