ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockman Sustainor  (Read 20709 times)

GuitarBuilder

Re: Rockman Sustainor
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

not sure if you prompted him Guitarbuilder but Ferringer got back.

He said it was $139 for a refurb.  That's more than I paid for the unit lol I paid £70 for it.  $139 is like £90.  Shipping back and forth will also rack up the coin.  I'm sure it will have to be insured although I'm known to risk this often and go with out.  It is a fairly small unit and very, very, very light.

I think I could take a stab at replacing the caps myself though in all honesty which is basically what the refurb is.  Problem would be getting all the right electrolytic caps.

I replied back to the guy so I'll what he says.  He didn't like me saying "pricey" so off to a bad start with him  :-X

Keep in mind that David's Stage 2 repair is much more than replacing the caps:

Among other steps, a Stage 2 Refurb consists of:

A pre-work Operations Check. Replacing of all Electrolytic Capacitors. Addressing all Grounding Issues. Cleaning of all Sliders and Switches with a multi-chemical, multi-step process. Resoldering of key Solder Joints. Multi-Point Inspection. A post-work Operations Check. Critical Ear Sound Check" And to top it off, David also backs his work by a limited one year warranty.
Minor repairs are covered with a Stage 2.

Stage 2 Refurb Sustainor (Sus) 100 & 200  $139
It also includes replacing the input jack wire with a high quality silver plated shielded coaxial wire. Specify if you want the Input Jack in the front or the rear.

I'd say that's a killer deal for $139......
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

@GuitarBuilder - I have been talking to the guy David Ferringer and I am basically going to go ahead with the refurb.  I'm going to wait until I save up for it.  It's going nto work out a lot more than $139 with shipping costs hence waiting.

However I just looked at the link you sent for b5amps!!  They're price is $100.  Well if their refurb is anything like David's then I'll go with them instead.

Your thoughts Guitarbuilder?

Richard, thanks for highlighting guitarbuilders link again, I didn't actually check before because I assumed it was for the place I already checked (and corresponded with - the guy David Ferringer).

Perhaps I could save a bit going with B5?  Not sure if their refurb is as thorough.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I have only used the two Davids (PerfectSound and Rockman-Repair) for dozens of Rockmodules, with great results (never any issue).  Both of them do a lot of extra work besides recapping and they warranty their work for at least a year.

I've heard good things about B5 but have not used them; I'd recommend you ask them for a list of what they do for $100, if they have a warranty, and make your decision afterwards.

Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish!  :banana: :banana: :banana:
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

The B5 dude says he does a complete recap and clean and advises what else needs to be done (in his blurb). Hey RG, whichever way you decide to go, it's worth making the sustainer good, it's got the tone you want (in spades  :thumb-up: ). both prices IMO are reasonable considering the amount of work involved and including parts ... Internatinal shipping is F#cking out there though...

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I cleaned ever switch with servisol 10.  Afer reading much about Servisol and Deoxit it's clear that the word on the street about Servisol 10 is largely biased bullshit from Deoxit users.  Read the reviews of the product and what it has been used for and also what the company who makes it suggest it be used for.  In my own experience it's always fixed pots.  Last night I actrually tried it on push button switches and sliders!!  Worked a treat.  Only one slider is a tiny tiny bit crackley, and it's probably just ready to be replaced.

The claims that Servisol will dry out your switches can be found online by a few, one guy had never actually used the stuff but theorized that it might be bad for pots and sliders.  However it clearly states it's a libricant also and not just alcohol.  This is apparently exactly what is required to keep pontentiometers in good shape according to everything I have read.

So I just went ahead and used it on the Rockman.  Units actual controls now can be utilized without it sounding like it's going to blow up.  Intermittance is gone by about 85% may be more.

Actually debating whether a refurb is now really necessary.  I'm not sure how much sound difference I will notice if I got the unit refurbed.  Even the noise gate on it works better lol.

I nearly bought a different switch and contact cleaner but I went with my own experience and used what I already knew had worked in the past for amps and guitars.

I'm not sure why there is some bad flack out there for the Servisol.  I came acorss a massive article by a guy basically said it was bad and to use deoxit.  I later came across a forum where the same guy then admitted he might be wrong and he hadn't even used the product, and all the people who had used it kept telling him they had used it and it was fine.  He basically admitted his claim was speculation.  Anyone else use this product and can vouch for it?  I know Richard does.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, great news about your switches and sliders  :thumb-up: and good feedback on the Servisol, I haven't used it yet but have a tin ready to go, I have used CSR CO contact cleaner for years now and it's always been fine, but MJMP doesn't like it (not sure why) and as it's running low anyway, so I went with the can of Servisol. I plan to use some on the weekend, will let you know how it goes for me. The tin I have is NA-1067, just says Isopropyl Alcohol (which is what we used to clean multitrack tape heads in the studio), no mention of lubricant with this one/version though.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I use "Kontakt 60" which we use in the military as well....

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey SC that's the one MJMP uses as well IIRC, I haven't found it here or I'd give it a go.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I read someone who used the kontact who uses servisol now and said both products were the same, or at least did the same thing.  I read alot about contact cleaners/lubricants last Friday you see.

Are you in the army SC?

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

I read someone who used the kontact who uses servisol now and said both products were the same, or at least did the same thing.  I read alot about contact cleaners/lubricants last Friday you see.

Are you in the army SC?

Nope....I´m in the Navy  8)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

no way!!  How do you get time to be a rockin man?  I take it you no longer have a band?  How come your on here so much?  You Navy guy's got nothing else to do?  lol

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Actually best way is to use kontakt 60 and then kontakt WL and if needed also kontakt 61

So dirt and oxide removal,then cleaner (to wash out the dirt) and then a protector/lubrificant
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up