ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: parametric eq  (Read 40930 times)

Metropolis

parametric eq
« on: Time Format »

Any suggestions for a good one.  Preferably rack but more interested in best performing.
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

Chamai

Re: parametric eq
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

YAMAHA YDP-2006

i really like this one because you can actually see what you doing to your frequencies on the screen.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Metropolis

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi Chamai...  I like the idea of 40 programable patches and midi. The
on screen curves are cool too.  What's a good price for one?

ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

HI,

you could also check out the Rocktron Pro-Q....older unit from Rocktrons Chameleon/Pro-GAP - era.
Nevertheless, very "powerful" in terms of eq'ing features plus the bonus of another HUSH.
With that one in the loop and your Intellifex`HUSH after the Preamp your rig should be dead-quiet.

The Pro-Qs pop up on a regular basis on eBay/CL/.....
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Metropolis

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey SC... thanks for the heads up on the Pro Q.  There's one on ebay for 370.00  plus 80.00 for shipping.  From Bulgaria.   I wont go for that but maybe one will turn up in the US for a decent price.  Do you know what a good price would be?
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

That´s way too much...... They pop up here in Germany from time to time and go for up to 150€....so I´d guess up to 200$ shipped in the US seems reasonable.
Also check Craigslist and Music Go Round.....

El Chiguete

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I don't have any personal experience with this but Digitech made a couple of units that a lot of people use in full rack or half rack spaces. Search for the Digitech Mono 28, Digitech MEQ 14, etc.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Metropolis

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I'm seeing three different graphic eqs.  Alesis DEQ 830 and a Samson S-Curve 131.  These are both mono.  There is Samson S-curve 215 which is stereo.  My rig is stereo. So my question is.... Should I run a mono eq in the loop ( post preamp)  or should I run a stereo eq in line after my Intellifex which feeds MircoCab II.  Or should I place the steteo eq last, after the micro cab.  I havent purchased any eq yet...just feeling out the best possible scenario.  I know the Alesis is a digital unit with preset capabilities.   That would be an advantage when switching patches.
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Very subjective.....
It it was me, I´d put it in the loop.... I always try to just add FX to the "finished" preamp core tone.
Placing the EQ last in line calls for eq'ing your complete tone/signal including the FX.
I´d also try to avoid any sources of noise/hum/hiss that far at the end of the signal line....With an EQ in that spot you´re boosting/cutting parts of the signal....probably freqs that are more prone to carry hiss/fizz.
Placing the EQ in the loop gives you a "shaped" core tone that you would add FX to. With the Intellifex, you´d have the HUSH to get rid of any unwanted noise/buzz/hiss/fizz/hum before before the "cleaned up" and eq'ed signal hits the FX.
EQ in the loop would also let you toggle it on or off as you need it....

Just my two €-cents

Metropolis

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Good info... that's where its going (in the loop).  So mono eq it is!!!   Now just have to decide if its digital or sliders
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

As SC says, it's subjective but there are sensible gain and noise considerations of where to place it. You could run a stereo eq after preamp before FX like an overall eq of tone. In the loop the signal is then eq'd before MP1 chorus, which make sense also.
IMO Use analogue eq ONLY, digital (while very convenient) will AD/DA your signal. I accept there are much better digital eqs these days, but they aren't cheap and they are still (by their very nature) an approximation of the signal. Also all eqs "sound" different. Get one that sounds good.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Casey_Butt

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I don't know exactly what you're after, but from a "studio quality" perspective there are a few companies I've found that make "high-end" products at mid-level prices.  Two that immediately come to mind are Ashly and Symetrix.  I've tested products from both of those companies from a technical spec perspective (I'm an electrical engineer) and was very surprised at the level of performance I saw from both of them.  If you can get a Symetrix parametic EQ at a decent price I think you'll be more than pleased (and Ashly compressors are top-notch).

But really, making a good EQ really isn't rocket science.  I think any reliably piece of equipment would be fine for teaming up with a guitar amp/preamp.  Don't forget, most guitar amp tone controls are just cheap carbon pots and carbon film resistors - it's not like they're "studio grade" circuits in the first place.

Back in the day, it was a common "trick" to pair the MP-1 up with a Furman PQ series parametric EQ.  The Furmans were fairly poor performers in terms of noise and technical spec but they had a crazy amount of gain that could overdrive a preamp hard.  But that's up front, not in the loop.

For something in the loop, I'd go with a para EQ from a reputable manufacturer - like I said, it's not rocket science and doesn't necessarily have to be "studio grade".

The only time I'd get particular about really high-end level specs is if you're recording and/or not using a noise suppressor.  On the studio side of things I'd start looking at studio level equipment, otherwise, I'd go for something well-built and roadworthy.

Having said all that, I do like the Ashly 551E parametric EQ - studio grade for pretty cheap.

Metropolis

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I have a Crazy idea here.   I am still undecided on which eq to buy.  Digital parametric,  analog parametric , or analog graphic.   Something draws to the Samson S Curve 131 analog graphic.   I would simply put it in the loop, dail up the best tone I could get and basically forget about it.  One trick poney.  Now with the  Samson 215 graphic,  I was wondering ...could I use its 2 channels independently by plugging guitar into channel A, using it as a pre distortion eq and then using channel B in the loop as a post distortion eq?  Is this a stupid idea?  Should I just forget obout graphic completely and just go Parametric?
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

El Chiguete

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I believe that by placing it before the preamp it then EQs the tone of the guitar not the tone of the amp (so essentially you are changing the tone that gets captured by the pickups. Look at this video and you can hear the possibilities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVNfhBBMFfs
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up