ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two 1x12s or One 2x12?  (Read 178 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Two 1x12s or One 2x12?
« on: Time Format »

Wow, if you wanna see some people bickering online, just do a search for Two 1x12s vs One 2x12 and you'll get people ready to fight  :o

Whatever, I'm hoping I get a slightly larger sound from one 2x12 cab. I've been using two 1x12s for a few years now, I'm used to it. When I take the 2x12 to practice, I'll be able to tell. I even put the same exact two speakers in the 2x12 that I've been running in my 1x12s. I switched out one if the 1x12 speakers with my trusty EV Force.

My theory is two people yelling in the same room would be louder than two people yelling in separate rooms, mixed together  :dunno:  I don't know if it'll work, but I don't wanna fight about it ;)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Two 1x12s or One 2x12?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, you'll get some interaction in the box with the 2 speakers in it and the additional box cubic volume should help the bass.  But hey, you'll hear if you like it.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, you'll get some interaction in the box with the 2 speakers in it and the additional box cubic volume should help the bass.  But hey, you'll hear if you like it.

What he said  8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

So...had practice last night with the new cab. I had it kinda low, just sitting on a 4-wheel dolly, but I was 10-15 feet away, so it was hitting me.

How did it sound? Pretty dang close to the two 1x12s actually. I think a bit more sound is coming out the open back due to the tandem speakers moving around in there, but the tone itself is surprisingly similar. Go figure...of course, I used the exact same two speakers  (Eminence 1218 legend and WGS G12C/S), which are both v30 knockoffs with a smoother top end than the brittle top of real v30s.

Yamaha uses a combination of the Legend 1218 and a Tonker in their 2x12 cab. I may consider a Tonker later

The dang cab fits absolutely PERFECTLY in the back of my little Ford Fiesta, so I guess I gotta keep it ;) I put the cab, my pedalboard, amp head and backpack full of mics/cords in the back and just used the entire back seat for 4 guitars. I'll get a pic of how nicely it all fits back there.

All in all, it's heavy, but not terrible...the H&K Grandmeister fits perfectly on top when you flip the cab vertically (gotta put some feet on that side...hence, the dolly). I'm happy I didn't have to tweak anything, I'd hate to have a bank of patches for each set of speakers. Here's a couple quick pix of the cab sitting on another cab and the back before I wired it up
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Very cool  >:D O0 :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Dante,

That's a good thing to not have to create new patches for a different speaker cab.

Depending on what kind of feet you want on the cab, you can find a good selection at Antique Electronic Supply. If you want those big rubber ones, you'll probably have to drill into your cab, but looking at your amp corners on there, I think the Fender style sphinx glides will work perfectly and you don't need any extra holes. You just use one of the existing screw holes on the corner.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I like those little slides, I ended up getting some rubber feet (which you can also mount using one of the existing silver corner screws, btw). They had those slides at the local Ace Hardware store ;) Love that place, they have the most obscure stuff sometimes....but, I opted for the feet and I'll probably change my mind later.

The cab has four big rubber feet, I'll keep those in the front two positions and put the ones I just bought in the back to create a bit of tilt. Not much, about as much as putting a big rock under the front of your cab (which I have done).

I'm surprised at how similar the new cab sounds. Then again, I do have the backs open on the 1x12s too, so that probably helps a lot.

Now, I guess I can sell my oversized 1x12 that I use with the Peavey head. I don't need it anymore, I can use the 2x12 or one of the 1x12s with it.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I've never found any of them at Ace Hardware, but they aren't expensive, so I just but them online. Sometimes I see them at GC on sale, but I don't go there often.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I bought some online once and didn't pay attention to the size.....got dime size rubber feet when I wanted something 1.5" in diameter  :facepalm:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Do tell, what are these little "slides" you speak of  :dunno: .  If there's no pic it didn't happen LoL. 

Hey Dante, glad the cab is working out for you  :whoohoo!: .  Seems to be a good speaker/cab year so far. I'm liking my new Lorantz speakers so much I'm considering changing out all the Celestions in my ADA Slant Split stacks.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Richard,

I was talking about what they call sphinx glides. If you ever looked at what's under an old Fender amp, you'll see four of them. I'm not sure if what Dante is talking about is exactly that, but could be similar. I have to run down to my local Ace Hardware and see what they've got.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:00 AM »

YES!

They're like low profile metal feet, meant to 'slide' rather than grab the floor of the stage like a rubber foot would.

If I remember correctly, weren't they like nails on the back? Like you shoved them into the wood?

That's what I'm talking about

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:43 PM »

Dante,

Maybe those are the ones at Ace Hardware, with the nails coming out of the back. But the only ones I've seen are plastic.

I'd rather use the sphinx glides that just replace one of the screws in the cabinet corners. Funny thing though, they used to come with button head screws and I'd always replace them with flat head screws so they wouldn't protrude out from the bottom of the glides. I didn't need them scratching up the wood floors. The other thing I like about the glides is that they have that soft rubber molded into the metal cup. That helps isolate the amp vibration from transferring to the floor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up