• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Main Menu

Alternate wiring layout for Les Paul type guitars

Started by Dante, December 20, 2020, 01:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante

Okay, I had two guitars wired this way, so I'm pretty sure it was intentional. One was a 1977 Ibanez and the other is a 1978. I still have the '78. They are laid out like a Les Paul, double cutaway, bolt on neck, super heavy, Flying Finger pickups (HOT), see pic below.

The knobs are not the same layout as a LP, and i think they kinda make more sense. So, see the other two diagrams below. (Note: in the ALT diagram, the Ibanez 3-way is set up horizontal...I like to use my 3-way like a kill switch, so I cocked it a bit)

I am thinking of rerouting the pots and twisting the 3-way switch in my two AR model Ibanez' too. If you have enough wire, no soldering required, just unscrew and rearrange.

Your thoughts?

Aelfad

The way the switch is traditionally arranged has never made sense to me - maybe it's because I started w/ Stratocaster and I've never had an LP-style guitar. So I like your idea very much.
BTW, do you ever use the tone pots?

Dante

QuoteBTW, do you ever use the tone pots?

Not on my Les Paul guitars...but I do sometimes on the middle pickups of other guitars. Not a necessity at all. I could live without it.

Dante

It probably makes more sense when you see the guitar I'm talking about...with some notation. This is a 1978 Ibanez CN200. I had a '79 CN250 that was wired the same way. The toggle switch is down by the knobs, which I like. The knobs are arranged a bit differently than a typical LP too.