ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear Acquisition (or not)  (Read 6406 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Gear Acquisition (or not)
« on: Time Format »

I need to either
A:  stop randomly perusing places like eBay and Reverb, or
B:  acquire thousands of dollars to just spend willy-nilly.    :facepalm:

It's a dilemma I believe most all of us here have.  While we're "happy with what we've got" there's always something else that sparks your curiosity.

I'm very pleased with my choices of guitar and preamp gear I currently have.  It took a long time to get there. However, I can't help looking at other speakers, cabs, poweramps, etc.   For example, I have two 4x12 cabs that are actually slightly smaller in size than the normal 4x12 cabs we're used to seeing and using.  They came with some really crap lightweight speakers that I replaced straight away.  I had a pair of Celestion V Type speakers and a pair of Eminence (unknown model) speakers that all featured the same 60 watt and 8 ohm ratings.  So I installed one of each in the top two positions of each cab and wired them for the 120 watt/16 ohm operation.  The bottom two speaker positions retain the crap speakers the cabs came with; not wired up and just there to cover the speaker holes.  lol  Maybe they work as "passive drivers" to a certain extent, maybe not. Don't care but the speaker holes need to be covered.  lol   I don't need the loud output of 4 speakers in each cab, just the look of a 4x12 and bigger than a normal 2x12 internal cab volume/dimensions.  I prefer running in a Stereo output with one cab on each side of stage too, so this idea seems perfect.  These speakers seem to have the perfect blend of breakup/bark and attenuation/emphasis of certain frequencies when pushed a bit without having to go stupidly loud. (Hence my somewhat radical EQ settings that look/sound like wtf on paper and lower volume, but actually fill out great at my stage volume)

So am I happy?  Yes, very much so.  But here comes that curious side....

I wish those speakers I have were 16 ohm each so I could wire them for 8 ohm per cab.  8 ohms is right in the wheelhouse of the MT200.
I'm used to having Celestion G12T-75 speakers in damn near everything I ever owned, and I also liked them.  I want to get a quad of those to replace the current 2x12 configuration of Celestion/Eminence pairings, but that would change the frequency response and level of speaker breakup. Would I like that change better or not?
I'd like to try a tube poweramp again.  It took a little while but I'm finally used to my MT200 and became happy with it, but a tube poweramp is also like a Siren call.... it beckons in ways I can't describe.
And then, do I want 6L6 or EL34s in that tube poweramp?  I've always preferred the 6L6 in the past, but the past is gone; which one would really compliment my playing style, my songs, and my band's overall sound today?

So you see, it's always some kind of dilemma.   I am very happy with what I'm now using and will more than likely never change certain components of my rack.  I seriously doubt I'd ever replace the MP-2 with something else; no other preamp has ever defined the sound I've heard in my head for so many years but could never quite get.  I'm happy with my rack fx unit, but I don't consider adding an fx pedal later on to be such a big deal. Not like changing speakers and poweramps.  So either I stop looking at all that, or find more money than what I already make to piss away on gear.   

The real kicker here is that I do also constantly remind myself that I don't have a roadie to huff all my gear around for me. 

I'll have to ultimately say no to having a pair of standard sized 4x12 cabs with 2 or 4 heavy magnet drivers in each cab, and adding another rackcase loaded down with a tube poweramp that weighs more than Dante's car....so far my gear is manageable, but I also have had a lengthy career working with steel so I can't expect my back to just get better in time.  ;)

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
Re: Gear Acquisition (or not)
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Everybody  wish a "welcome to asylum" to Kim :banana-upsidedown:
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

So ... You should sell your  quad combo a low price...I promise ; you ' ll feel much better  ;)
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yeah, that's a pretty serious problem to resolve..  especially for someone like you, who likely already sold everything else:
Quote from: Kim, sometime in the past
Sell the furnitures, you can sit on amps
Do you absolutely need those heavy and sizable 4x12's?  What about 4x10's, arranged vertically?  Results in good projections.
Wouldn't miking-up to the PA compensate enough for the relative loss of 'size'?

Anyways, regarding constant shopping, I did that too when job was there, only to find I was using maybe 1/3rd of it.
Now that I (financially) need to sell a lot, I find reluctant moods, simply a case of the principle "you don't own things, things owns you".
To be utter straight at it, two guitars, one long scaled seven tuned Eb, and one seven tuned from 7th and up for downtuned C, both to be capo'd for one or two other tunings, would cover any needs for several styles.

Gear-wise, yes, dual-layer multiple 12-cent harmonizing is super cool, as is the choice between 17 different reverbs including one sounding like Saint Peters Cathedral and one being a hybrid of my bathroom and a sizable fridge.

However, I've rediscovered that parallel preamp channels with good tone-shaping, side-track compressor. i.e. a sustainer, mono chorus for thickness, basic EQ, short/medium/long delays for soloing plus quad-tap for effects, true stereo flange, and a few true stereo reverbs, is really all I need.

Now, I'm not in bands or doing studio stuff, which would of course require more, but I still find it interesting noting that many known players really don't use a ton of effects, and in modern times seems to travels with less..
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Sell the furniture; you can sit on amps.  HA!  I remember that one!  :lol:

My 4x12 cabs are smaller than the normal 4x12s and they only have two heavy magnet speakers operating in them. The other two are weak tit small magnet shit speakers, so these cabs manage very well while looking badass. 

DorsetRatt

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

The real kicker here is that I do also constantly remind myself that I don't have a roadie to huff all my gear around for me. 

I'll have to ultimately say no to having a pair of standard sized 4x12 cabs with 2 or 4 heavy magnet drivers in each cab, and adding another rackcase loaded down with a tube poweramp that weighs more than Dante's car....so far my gear is manageable, but I also have had a lengthy career working with steel so I can't expect my back to just get better in time.  ;)

Speaking on behalf of retired roadies ... I can confirm that Dante's car (weight) has made an appearance at numerous venues throughout Europe, and yes it really does screw your back up :(

There's a rumour that Dante's car is still seen occasionally, accompanied by a team of angry roadies desperately trying to get it up the ramp and onto the stage :lol:
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Long with the Hammond, crap those things are heavy (and not fond of steps), the of course the double W bins and racks of 4 x 1000w poweramps
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

This should be the soundtrack of this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGHsxMqpL0c
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

This should be the soundtrack of this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGHsxMqpL0c

Well EL,you're absolutely right,gear can get you in a madhouse. :lol:

I haven't changed much over the last ten years,only added a few things and i'm happy with what i have now.You can keep on buying in search of the holy grail tone but there must come a moment that this stops and you have to be happy with what you have.Else you end up in a madhouse. ;)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Kim,

I'm always trolling Craigslist, but I have to remind myself...don't go shopping without money.

I whittled my gig down to the bare minimums (4u rack & two 1x12 cabs), but still look at 4x12 speaker cabs online all the time. I don't miss carrying 'em though. Haven't owned a 4x12 for over 20 years now, and it was difficult letting a boogie cabinet pass by recently...it was listed way too cheap.

There's an outdoor venue in town, next to the river with a big stage and a huge seating area outside. When we play there, I usually borrow or rent a 4x12 just for that gig. I still have my stuff running through the PA though, it's just for the people dancing in the dirt in front of the stage. My 1x12s are plenty loud, but pushing more air works well in that open environment.

I've been set on my equipment for awhile, and it's very fun to go into a music store knowing that you don't need anything they're peddling. Something very liberating about that

Welcome to the crack gear, Kimmer

DorsetRatt

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Long with the Hammond, crap those things are heavy (and not fond of steps)

... so it's not quite a Hammond, but a piano and steps reminds me of the following:

Laurel & Hardy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb445n875r8
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I would be the first to admit I buy way too much gear. However my core rig hasn't changed much in a few years, MP1,JMP1 and my G major2. Probably 95% of my tones are from these 3 main pieces. Most of my other acquisitions are out of curiosity or a deal you would be a fool to pass up. Some items I get I don't even use I just resell it at market value and turn a profit. Others are just stuff that I want..i.e. Intellifex, always wanted one for the 8 voice chorus.

I always look at it like this:
1) Is it something I need? If so then it's a no-brainer.
2) is it something I want? If so how bad?
3) If I end up not liking it can I resell it and make a profit?

Sure there is other pieces I would like to try but the price has to right for me to pull the trigger. I browse local craigslist, reverb, music go round and sometimes guitar center. I found people on e-bay usually want way more than an item is worth. Deals are out there but you need to be patient and wait for them. I paid only $250 for my Mesa 50/50. I got my split stacks(that's 2) + an MP1 + an MC1 for $300, and this one will piss you off...got the MT200 for $50 :thumb-up: I say embrace the asylum...just be financially responsible doing it. :banana-rock:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

...Deals are out there but you need to be patient and wait for them...

Amen brother!

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

By the way El, nice choice. I would have picked that or Ozzy's Diary of a Madman :bow:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey DR great L&H movie, :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up