ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MPC Midi Controller display isn't working correctly - power issue?  (Read 11691 times)

dbjacobson2112

I recently bought an ADA Tribtube 75 and then just rec'd an ADA MPC  Midi Controller off eBay which I rec'd today.   I connected the MPC to the amp using a 7 pin phantom power midi cable.  Unfortunately, the  display isn't working correctly.  It says ADA then starts blinking but when I step on various number switches it never settles on a number

I made a short 1 minute video of what the display does when powered up.  http://youtu.be/OH55M1tYuuk

Any idea what is causing this issue - is it a power supply problem or an MPC issue?

I have not tried a power supply yet....  Can a typical Boss PSA 120 9 volt adapter work or does the MPC have the opposite polarity on it's 9 volt adapters?

Thanks for your help

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Well i would try an external adaptor and see if that work.You will need at least one that can deliver 200mA.A boss should normally work,the center pin has to be negative.The MPC has a build protection for reversed polarity so you can't damage it by trying.Or you can also use a 9V AC (not a DC like the Boss) adaptor,this way the polarity is always good.

Try it and let us know.

RandallRG

X2 with Marshall...Try a Power Supply.  :thumb-up:

dbjacobson2112

THE WEIRD question is: would a power supply issue cause the display to light up but cycle out of control ?  my gut says it wouldn't work at all. i.e. no display at all

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

It could be but i also doubt it,but give it a try anyway,you never know.It seems like the software isn't running correctly.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey MJMP, is there a reset sequence for the MPC ? The MXC has press 9 + 0 to load factory default settings and then 9 + 1 then bank up to permanently store them.  I'm not sure if this will help but it might ??
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

mmm don't know,dont have the MPC manual.

Sparker

No soft reset sequence or storage of settings for the MPC, just the DIP switch setting for the MIDI channel. The MXC however, has a non-volatile EE chip on the PCB to store settings when powered off. Manual & schematic for the MPC attached if you want to dig in further.
ADA Gear: MP-1 Tube Board

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Thanks Sparker, well it's all pretty basic in the manual...., you could try the the MPX commands I posted, they may work ? Even if they do work I don't know if it will fix it.  But I agree with MJMP, it seems the software is not running correctly (and this could be a variety of reasons).  Do you send it back ? or try to fix it... I'm not sure a fix (attempted or otherwise) is a good/cost effective option. And all you want is a good working MIDI pedal... feel your pain BTW :'(

Sparker

Do any patches on the amp actually change when you press different MPC switches, regardless of the light-show problem?
ADA Gear: MP-1 Tube Board

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Another thing to try is opening the pedal and disconnect all the switches (the 2 red connectors).See if that helps

dbjacobson2112

I went  to a local electronics store and bought one of those multi adapter that let u choose Volts and polarity and bingo the unit works fine...  and it swithces all like it should on my Tritube amp! so, probloem solved -  I used the amp at last nites gig, and while the cleans were perfect - I felt that the over drives did NOT cut thru the mix, kinda too processed like the way Line 6 amps sound awesome in your house alone, but don't cut thru the mix when playing live... Now my next major question is: Is there a post or thread here for MP-2 settings?

dbjacobson2112

problem solved - bought an adapter which works fine....Phantom power jacks or cord issue - workaround - just use a 5 pin midid cable and the adapter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Check out my MP2 patches (MP2 patches section), they are all live/loud patches and cut through (albeit designed for very flat Ultrasonic PUs so you may have to tweak them a bit to be better with middy PUs).

So given an the adapter from the store worked (good news BTW) means there's some issue with what power is being fed into the 7 pin lead at the amp end.

dbjacobson2112

the 7 pin cable does work to switch the patches when I use the AC adapter.....     so I am good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up