ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How long have you had your MP-1?  (Read 11769 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
How long have you had your MP-1?
« on: Time Format »

Well Folks I just wanted to take a poll out of curiosity and wanted you all to share how long you have had your MP-1? Let's see who has the oldest original unit  :D

As I have shared with you I have had so many problems with these older used units we bought but I'm certain they may be several on here that are still using the original MP-1 and never had an issue other than tubes - so please share!   :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: How long have you had your MP-1?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well I bought mine new back in 91 and I own 7 mp-1's  now,also 4 mp-2's a mp-1 classic and 2 MB-1's.

Samuraipanda

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I bought my 1.38 version in the spring of '88. I was second owner and still use it today. I've had at least 10 different MP-1's and Mp-2s overt the years. Down to just 3 now. 1.38 stock (some maintenance mods), a 3.666 mod and a stock Mp-2.

I've never had a Classic or 3TM. Anyone want to trade?

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Well I bought mine new back in 91 and I own 7 mp-1's  now,also 4 mp-2's a mp-1 classic and 2 MB-1's.

EPIC WIN!!!  :banana-dance:

I've mine since some months...
As MJMP said to me, from serial number it's one of the latest ADA produced.

My previous one, as you know, was an old 1.38...I think it was from 1988 or 1989...I bought it used from a friend.
But I remember it had something I didn't love too much in the gain structure...it was "weak" and I had to push OD1 and OD2 hard to get good tones...maybe I mid-scooped it too much, but I was younger and metal addicted!  :headbanger:
Aside from that, it was noisy a lot...maybe that unit had some issues, but Adadepot wasn't around yet!  :lol:
The one I own now it's better a lot!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

OK you win MJMP - you are my hero  ;D

This is great news and shows why you put so much love and care into these things  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I have too much I know  :facepalm:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

No MJMP, you can't have to many  >:D And anyone who says you can't play them all at once is wrong (but you'd need a decent input splitter and a 24 ch desk LoL) Wow wall of (7) MP1s'  :whoohoo!: And that's doing it simply, you could get even more creative and use MP1s in other MP1 loops  (and then there's all the great ADA FXs you have  >:D >:D ).
I bought my first MP1 in maybe 87 or 88 ?  it was one of the first batch to come to Australia. I sold it to MikeB in ~95  :dunno: so I could buy the new MP2.  My first MP2 died at a gig not long after I bought it  :facepalm: (only catastrophic failure I've ever had with ADA preamps BTW). Fortuitously, Mike was at the gig and lived down the street, so he wizzed home a lent me my former MP1 for the night (go Mike, still very appreciated my friend  :thumb-up: ).  So I swapped that unit for a new one which is still in my live rack today, only change is new tubes.  I have 3 other MP2s (I started buying them as there still isn't a replacement I like and they are getting on..).  I have one in my studio rack and the other 2 gather dust (which I'm not thrilled about..).  I also have 2 MB1s' they came from the US and have both been to MJMP for a refresh and MDRT transformers. One in my live rack and one in the studio rack, they both get used regularly..
I recently bought 2 MP1s, 1 240v AU model (has issues which eventually I'll solve) and 1 US model (seems to be a decent solid unit), I know little about either of them except I bought them from a guy in my home town Newcastle, one has battery mod (IIRC the 240v one). When I get some head space I'll get them both optimal and add one to the live rack and one to the studio rack.
I still need a 240v MP1 Classic, they didn't make it to Australia (as far as I know).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

No MJMP, you can't have to many  >:D And anyone who says you can't play them all at once is wrong (but you'd need a decent input splitter and a 24 ch desk LoL) Wow wall of (7) MP1s'  :whoohoo!: And that's doing it simply, you could get even more creative and use MP1s in other MP1 loops  (and then there's all the great ADA FXs you have  >:D >:D ).
I bought my first MP1 in maybe 87 or 88 ?  it was one of the first batch to come to Australia. I sold it to MikeB in ~95  :dunno: so I could buy the new MP2.  My first MP2 died at a gig not long after I bought it  :facepalm: (only catastrophic failure I've ever had with ADA preamps BTW). Fortuitously, Mike was at the gig and lived down the street, so he wizzed home a lent me my former MP1 for the night (go Mike, still very appreciated my friend  :thumb-up: ).  So I swapped that unit for a new one which is still in my live rack today, only change is new tubes.  I have 3 other MP2s (I started buying them as there still isn't a replacement I like and they are getting on..).  I have one in my studio rack and the other 2 gather dust (which I'm not thrilled about..).  I also have 2 MB1s' they came from the US and have both been to MJMP for a refresh and MDRT transformers. One in my live rack and one in the studio rack, they both get used regularly..
I recently bought 2 MP1s, 1 240v AU model (has issues which eventually I'll solve) and 1 US model (seems to be a decent solid unit), I know little about either of them except I bought them from a guy in my home town Newcastle, one has battery mod (IIRC the 240v one). When I get some head space I'll get them both optimal and add one to the live rack and one to the studio rack.
I still need a 240v MP1 Classic, they didn't make it to Australia (as far as I know).

Richard reading your response and a few others on different threads I think I'm seeing a pattern here as in, the MP-1s that regardless of their age, it seems that as long as they have stayed in use they are fine!  :o
 I'm beginning to think they are like the old Marshall you pull out that hasn't been turn on in 20 years and the caps smoke after a few minutes when you fire it up for the first time again.
 A little story - My friend Felice in Riverside California and I were hanging out at his place during the NAMM show of 2014 and I begged him to get out his 78' JMP 50 watter and fire it up. I knew about NOT doing that if hit had not been played for a while but he did not! We got so excited about hearing it that we plugged it all in and I hit a chord and listened for a second - then went into a little solo and then it sounded fizzy then smoke came out of the grill on top of the head  :facepalm:

Well I talked to him 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't bothered to get that amp fixed because he is so into playing his rack gear he doesn't care  :o

My point is I think these MP-1 are the same way; digging them out of the closet after 20 years of none use is causing most of these issues.
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, so if you don't use it, loose it ? I could take a spiritual angle on it, everything's alive in one way or another and left alone will always seek/slip to entropy (caos)... (BTW there is probably allot of truth in this thought but it will probably spin some people out). But if you don't want you atoms (well more particularly the quarks they are made of) to runaway back into the cosmos (which is there natural inkling/predilection), you need to give them something to do that makes you happy (ie turn it on and use it). I'm reasonably convinced that quarks just want to make us happy  :headbanger: , particularly the rock quarks (and RGs Metal quarks) LoL. But they do get board just hanging around.  I'd extend this thought bubble as to why you shouldn't let just anyone play your guitar (not just their (sometimes) corrosive sweat, but also their vibe... So then I'd postulate it's a little bit important who owned your MP1 before you and what they did with and to it...

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

(BTW there is probably allot of truth in this thought but it will probably spin some people out).

There's a lot of truth in that, indeed...generally speaking.
The curious Universe's structure that's under the surface in quantum reality tells it.

But being more down to earth, this also happens with musical instruments: everytime someone gives me a bass or a guitar to restore, especially if in generally bad shape, after my work is done...I can feel those instruments back to life.
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The problem with old tube amps is that they carry high voltage caps, which needs reforming or they can blow up in smoke. If I get a an old amp that hasen't been fired up in years I use my rheotor and slowly raise the voltage.

Here's a good article about this topic

https://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/electrolytics/

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, so if you don't use it, loose it ? I could take a spiritual angle on it, everything's alive in one way or another and left alone will always seek/slip to entropy (caos)... (BTW there is probably allot of truth in this thought but it will probably spin some people out). But if you don't want you atoms (well more particularly the quarks they are made of) to runaway back into the cosmos (which is there natural inkling/predilection), you need to give them something to do that makes you happy (ie turn it on and use it). I'm reasonably convinced that quarks just want to make us happy  :headbanger: , particularly the rock quarks (and RGs Metal quarks) LoL. But they do get board just hanging around.  I'd extend this thought bubble as to why you shouldn't let just anyone play your guitar (not just their (sometimes) corrosive sweat, but also their vibe... So then I'd postulate it's a little bit important who owned your MP1 before you and what they did with and to it...

Yes absolute words of wisdom Richard  :thumb-up: I believe the same way really, I have told many of my close friends that I believe each guitar I have ever made or repair for someone has it's own spirit and personality. My buddy Jason and I refer to all these MP-1s as fussy little super models and they each have their own unique personality and voicing. Some misbehave terribly and don't play nicely with other pieces of gear, much like super models and can be catty and fussy. Well I have seen all of the spirits in these MP-1 and their are a few I don't want to date ( or play ) anymore because of their spirits  ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, great article, thanks  :thumb-up:

Hey DjC, well fortuitously none of my ADA preamps behave like super models, they do all sound different though. Some are sweeter, some need a good stiff whisky LoL.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, great article, thanks  :thumb-up:

Hey DjC, well fortuitously none of my ADA preamps behave like super models, they do all sound different though. Some are sweeter, some need a good stiff whisky LoL.

Oh more good advice - thank you Richard. So If I add a stiff drink into some of these units I'll get more out of them, what brand Sir  :lol:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Mmm, New Sensor Mullards LPs come to mind LoL, but a damn good question DjC. Well a couple of tequila shots for the guitarist (the one with the red Mexican hat on the lid, Sierra ??, not the best tequila taste wise but crap, it just makes me want to play  :whoohoo!: :dunno: ). Unfortunately, on this journey, you don't get to "impart" your vibe on a blank new/fresh unit, the ones you have have gone where they have with their previous owners (this may sound like ugga bugga but I recon there's something in it...), over time they will (I recon) change to be more aligned with you.  For now my suggested approach (makes sense to me) is to modernise the components as best you can and get them all (to the extent possible) solid. Pick the couple that you like the best and then work them and get you/your essence into them. You commented elsewhere that you didn't feel confident taking any of these MP1s' gigging yet, this IMHO needs to change, you need to get a few (at least 2) of these to the point where that isn't an issue. Gigging is what the MP1 is designed for (and needs!!!).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up