ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viper combo amp  (Read 11790 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Viper combo amp
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

According to Kim, the Viper isn't really like the MP-1. I thought the same thing for the longest time too, but Kim said in one of the older posts here that he didn't think it sounded like that.
   Still, it does take preamp tubes like any other ADA preamp from back then, so some of the same ideas may work with the Viper.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

According to Kim, the Viper isn't really like the MP-1. I thought the same thing for the longest time too, but Kim said in one of the older posts here that he didn't think it sounded like that.
   Still, it does take preamp tubes like any other ADA preamp from back then, so some of the same ideas may work with the Viper.

I never had the opportunity to do any sort of tube rolling when I had the Viper.  My initial thoughts on it were that it did sound different from the MP-1, but it wasn't in any "good" way nor "bad" way...just a bit different.  The Red channel gain options had a lot of different tones to start with.  My perspective might be all due to the application it is being used;  the Viper is a 12" open-back combo amp, while the MP-1 is generally paired up with a separate poweramp and closed-back 2x12 or 4x12 cabs.

Definitely an amp worth fixing and having though.  While the one I used to have (and now Stanski has) needs some TLC to get the Red channel and Varicab functions back in line, the Green channel by itself is awesome and just sings with the Crunch engaged. 

K_G_1

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I finally received the replacement pot a few days ago, got it soldered in, and the varicab system seems to be working great now.  Kim, you weren't kidding about the improved tone with the varicab engaged.  It is a bit hard to describe the difference, but it definitely has a more full and spacious sound that has a variety of new timbre options by utilizing the thump and high cut controls.  As noted by Kim earlier, I can't see any reason to run the amp without the emulation turned on now that I've heard and can compare the two options.  Thanks to everyone for motivating me to work on it and for the guidance with the actual repair!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Well done  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: :thumb-up: