ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Todd Langner death  (Read 12819 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Todd Langner death
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey Gang,

I'm glad to have shared this story with all of you. I believe if Todd had ever had the time to get on a Forum like this one, that he would have loved this community.

@ MJMP,
  Todd was a very great guy to deal with, and loved creative ideas. If you shared an idea with him, that you had, he would think of something else almost instantly, and share it with you too!  You would have loved dealing with him because he was a very creative person, and I know for a fact he would have loved talking with you too.

@ Danny and MJMP,
  The 3TM was something Todd was still working on because it wasn't exactly what he was looking for. He was able to get the enhanced distortions from it that he wanted, but he was trying to get the clean tube sounds to become more enhanced as well. The problem was in the design of the circuitry. Todd was trying to come up with a daughter board to attach to the MP-1 to incorporate the additional circuits, and make the cleans more beefy. The original 3TM design would have ended up being a 2RU, and Dave Tarnowski wanted to keep the MP-1 and any other preamp design in a 1RU format. That was something Dave insisted on. The daughter board never became a reality because it was difficult to get it to fit in the MP-1 in the physical location where it needed to be, and also, from a marketing standpoint, the mod wasn't something the consumer could do. It wasn't practical from their point of view to have the MP-1's sent in to ADA to have the mod done, and they would lose money like that.
   But, the tones of the 3TM did inspire the team at ADA to come up with the MP-2, and that's when the design work began on that.

@ Max,
   Todd was no mythical figure at all my friend, he was a very down to earth person, and very easy to talk with. I remember the feelings of excitement I would have after he and I would bounce ideas back and forth, and I could see some of the crazy ideas I had were actually very do-able. Todd had a way of taking an idea that seemed like a fantasy, and explaining how it could be done in reality. Which after I would get off the phone with him, I'd sit down at my desk, and draw out flow charts and exact diagrams, then I'd mail them to him. He would add new ideas to it, or suggest a better way of doing it and either mail it back if he had the time, or just call me and tell me about it.
   I'm flattered that you hold me in high regard with Philippe and Richard, but I don't deserve it. I'm just an ordinary guy who loves the Depot and all the cool people and ideas that happen here.

@ Dante,
    I'm a bit surprised you never met Todd yourself. After all, he was a great guitar player, and his band, (Kamikaze), was very popular around the Bay area. Even though your playing styles are very different, I believe he would have liked your direction. He was very open-minded like that.

Harley 8)

I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

@ Danny and MJMP,
  The 3TM was something Todd was still working on because it wasn't exactly what he was looking for. He was able to get the enhanced distortions from it that he wanted, but he was trying to get the clean tube sounds to become more enhanced as well. The problem was in the design of the circuitry. Todd was trying to come up with a daughter board to attach to the MP-1 to incorporate the additional circuits, and make the cleans more beefy. The original 3TM design would have ended up being a 2RU, and Dave Tarnowski wanted to keep the MP-1 and any other preamp design in a 1RU format. That was something Dave insisted on. The daughter board never became a reality because it was difficult to get it to fit in the MP-1 in the physical location where it needed to be, and also, from a marketing standpoint, the mod wasn't something the consumer could do. It wasn't practical from their point of view to have the MP-1's sent in to ADA to have the mod done, and they would lose money like that.
   But, the tones of the 3TM did inspire the team at ADA to come up with the MP-2, and that's when the design work began on that.

I love this stories!!!  :thumb-up:
To know what happened in background...
Should I look for a MP-2 then???  :lol: :lol: :lol:

@ Max,
   Todd was no mythical figure at all my friend, he was a very down to earth person, and very easy to talk with. I remember the feelings of excitement I would have after he and I would bounce ideas back and forth, and I could see some of the crazy ideas I had were actually very do-able. Todd had a way of taking an idea that seemed like a fantasy, and explaining how it could be done in reality. Which after I would get off the phone with him, I'd sit down at my desk, and draw out flow charts and exact diagrams, then I'd mail them to him. He would add new ideas to it, or suggest a better way of doing it and either mail it back if he had the time, or just call me and tell me about it.
   I'm flattered that you hold me in high regard with Philippe and Richard, but I don't deserve it. I'm just an ordinary guy who loves the Depot and all the cool people and ideas that happen here.

Yep...now we know that...but more than 20 years ago...without Internet and all its stuff...it was different.
We just had paper magazines and no way to get in touch with such people.
In the past years I had the possibility to know in person some very good guys...italians or not italians...with the right attitude.
Some of them became friends to me (one is Carlo Sorasio from LAA Custom...who had great success at NAMM last year).
I spoke many times with people from Wampler pedals or Carl Martin or Jetter and with Peter Florance from Voodoo, for instance..and I always found down to earth sharing people.
I assume Todd was one of those guys.

About you, mate...you deserve it!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

It's up to you if you want to get into the MP-2, I won't say no to that idea, and I know Richard will definitely tell you to go for it! :lol:
   If you do decide to take the plunge though, I will warn you to be prepared for an intense learning curve. The MP-2 is by no means as simple as the MP-1. It has no Solid State voice at all, but it has 10 tube voicings, from spanking clean to the raunchiest distortion and overdrives. It also has the Chorus effect in it and the stereo effects loops are independently adjustable as far as the wet/dry mix goes. It also has built in compression that is adjustable and a built in wah, and it has a built in noise gate and cab sims for direct recording or live mixing. The MP-2 also has full MIDI implementation that you can access and edit from the front panel and gives you what is commonly known as Midi Continuous Control, but in ADA language, it's referred to as "Real Time MIDI." i.e. expression pedals.
  So it's your call.

Hey now, I was in the same situation as you 20-30 years ago, with magazines and a telephone, but I went to concerts and met a lot of people that way and got names and phone numbers. It's kind of funny in a way because I met Steve Schiller at a David Lee Roth concert backstage and found out about the EMB Wah Steve Vai was using that way. What was funny about it was when I talked with Todd the next time, I brought up that wah and told him about the idea I had for panning a wah effect across a stage. That was when Todd told me he knew the guy who built it and that they were friends. He gave me Matt's number, and it was all downhill from there. Todd and I came up with the crazy ideas and wrote down all the formats for it and then challenged Matt to build it! It took 18 months, but he did it  :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Matt swears he'll never do another one like that again, but I have this idea for another effect... >:D

Iperfungus

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

It's up to you if you want to get into the MP-2, I won't say no to that idea, and I know Richard will definitely tell you to go for it! :lol:
   If you do decide to take the plunge though, I will warn you to be prepared for an intense learning curve. The MP-2 is by no means as simple as the MP-1. It has no Solid State voice at all, but it has 10 tube voicings, from spanking clean to the raunchiest distortion and overdrives. It also has the Chorus effect in it and the stereo effects loops are independently adjustable as far as the wet/dry mix goes. It also has built in compression that is adjustable and a built in wah, and it has a built in noise gate and cab sims for direct recording or live mixing. The MP-2 also has full MIDI implementation that you can access and edit from the front panel and gives you what is commonly known as Midi Continuous Control, but in ADA language, it's referred to as "Real Time MIDI." i.e. expression pedals.
  So it's your call.

I was just jocking....  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would prefer to buy a 2nd MP-1 instead.

Hey now, I was in the same situation as you 20-30 years ago, with magazines and a telephone, but I went to concerts and met a lot of people that way and got names and phone numbers. It's kind of funny in a way because I met Steve Schiller at a David Lee Roth concert backstage and found out about the EMB Wah Steve Vai was using that way. What was funny about it was when I talked with Todd the next time, I brought up that wah and told him about the idea I had for panning a wah effect across a stage. That was when Todd told me he knew the guy who built it and that they were friends. He gave me Matt's number, and it was all downhill from there. Todd and I came up with the crazy ideas and wrote down all the formats for it and then challenged Matt to build it! It took 18 months, but he did it  :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Matt swears he'll never do another one like that again, but I have this idea for another effect... >:D

Well...the main difference between me and you in those times is that you're from USA and I'm from Italy.  :lol:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Well you're absolutely right when you say that Todd was full of ideas.I can see that in his book I have.

Iperfungus

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Well you're absolutely right when you say that Todd was full of ideas.I can see that in his book I have.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I would love to browse through that book and see how many of the things we talked about that he embellished on. He was good for that. It was like, if you had an idea that you shared with him, almost immediately, he was thinking of a way to enhance it or a way to use it.
    Maybe when we get on Skype, we can talk about that.

Harley 8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

@ Dante,
    I'm a bit surprised you never met Todd yourself. After all, he was a great guitar player, and his band, (Kamikaze), was very popular around the Bay area. Even though your playing styles are very different, I believe he would have liked your direction. He was very open-minded like that.

I may have met him, or at least spoken to him on the phone  :dunno:   my memory - she is not so good. I did go to Emeryville (ADA HQ) more than once though, each time preceded by phone calls to orchestrate each saga, and it's entirely possible that we did meet. I just can't confirm it. I remember getting my original MP-1 fixed once, so I know I went there at least twice = once to drop it off, and once to pick it up :D I think I dropped in once (unannounced) because I happened to be in Oakland.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

RIP Todd  :wave: , Well the least we can do is do our best to keep the legacy alive  :thumb-up: The MP-1 changed my life and realised an idea (tube preamp SS poweramp) that I'd had many years earlier and discussed with Mick Sampson who designed and built BAEZ amps (in Newcastle Australia) (BTW if you ever see one of these (either guitar or bass) snap it up  >:D , first all tube (Marshall style but better made, PCB construction when Marshall were still using peg boards) with 2 channels both with mater vol  :whoohoo!: well that I'd seen in 1974, anyway I digress.

Mmm Max, MP2  >:D , you know you want one LoL.  As well as all the features Harley mentioned, they also have a nice tremolo, noise gate, room eq knob on the front to adjust easily between hard wooden reflective (toppy) stages/rooms and highly damped carpeted stages/rooms (works a treat). Then there the 9 band eq (not that I use it much, Van liked to play there).  Here's the real treat for you though, you can either run your MP1 in the MP2 stereo loop or just use the the MP2 loop returns to add cab sim to your MP1 for recording.  The one feature I'm most enamored with these days though is the midi CC controlled stereo master vol.  This is the whole unit master, not the patch. I find this almost indispensable these days.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

I would love to browse through that book and see how many of the things we talked about that he embellished on. He was good for that. It was like, if you had an idea that you shared with him, almost immediately, he was thinking of a way to enhance it or a way to use it.
    Maybe when we get on Skype, we can talk about that.

Harley 8)

Yeah sure ,no problem :thumb-up:

It's full of random stuff, like what he did for ADA, stuff he would take to namm shows, design schematics,R&D stuff etc...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up