ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings From England  (Read 5468 times)

DorsetRatt

Greetings From England
« on: Time Format »

Hi All,

Great to see so many people interested and still using ADA equipment … and well done for getting the new Depot up and running.  :thumb-up:

I've been using rack equipment for quite a while, started back in the 90s with a Marshall 9001/9005 rig (and a Chameleon come to think of it). Tried the MP-1 soon afterwards and it really nailed the tones I was looking for … and still does.

Fast forward to 2015 and my interest in ADA preamps continues. Currently using an MP-1 Classic and MP-2, and yes … still using my trusty old Marshall 9005.
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Rusty

Re: Greetings From England
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hiya DorsetRatt, Welcome,  I'm sort of a newbie too here at the new ADA forum. Its great to see more ADAer's team up here in the exclusive club. Join in and tell us more of whats going happening?  :)

Rusty,  :)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Welcome DoresetRatt!

I have the same two preamps, when I think one is better than the other...I change my mind. I would definitely look into a smaller (or at least lighter) power amp. My goodness....those 9005 amps are gigantic.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, welcome to the depot  :wave: :thumb-up: Major kudos to Dante for our resurrection  :bow: . Us MP2 users are a bit in the minority here, and there don't seem to be that many MP1 Classic users (though, again, Dante comes to mind) here. We didn't see/get them in Australia. I went from MP1 to MP2 (and never looked back, well maybe a bit these days). Pontificating about what I'd do if my MP2 died (it's getting on..), I bought 2 more LoL.
Hey post some audio clips in the respective areas, I'd like to hear how your 9005 sounds. I posted a couple of my MP2 patches in the MP2 patch area you may like to try ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DorsetRatt

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Thank you for warm welcome, much appreciated.

The MP-1 Classic is quite a recent purchase, MJMP very kindly did the work on it for me ... it's sounding very very good now. The MP-2 is a little poorly at the moment so I only tend to push it as far as the "Fat Clean" voicing, but I will try and get this sorted soon.

Ahh, the 9005 ... I've had to re-enforce the floorboards in the house, I was expecting a car joke? From what I can remember I think the 9005 was based on the same power section as the JCM800, or would it be 2 x JCM800 with a shared transformer?

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Those 9005 amps are really good,and altough they are based on a 50W jcm800 there are some differences.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, sounds like you need (it would be good) to do some MP2 noise mods???. In my MP2s' (I have 3), they are all quite happy up to "warm vintage" which seems to be my go to voice at the moment (and doesn't require noise gate).  The higher gain settings benefit allot from the noise mods.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

MJMP mentioned 3 diddy transistors earlier this year that may be the root of the problem, I have got them ... but they're still outside of the MP-2, still trying to pluck up the courage to stick a soldering iron in there  :))

I'm interested in doing the noise mods ... have looked at the pics, there's a lot of caps to do !!

BTW This will cheer you up ... I installed Mullards in the MP-2 a couple of years ago, probably why I like the "Fat Clean" voicing so much.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, I know what you mean, I have 2 noise mod kits ready to install, MJMP had already done the 3rd MP2 before my mate in Sydney bought it, but it still needed R913 which I did (and lifted a pad  :facepalm: ). I managed to fix it with some wire and solder but it's made me wary of doing 21 caps x 2 in the other 2, which are both working fine right now. So I'm thinking to get an experienced tech to do the mod(s). I had been practicing on some old boards and thought I was up for it, but now I'm a bit trepidatious. Soldering the parts in I feel ok about, it's doing the desoldering and not causing damage to the pads/tracks that's got me a little nervous now. Also MJMP said the big(er) power caps are tricky to get out.

I'm becoming Mr Mullard (and not the duck variety LoL). They do work very well in the MP2, particularly for how I play. That journey goes back to conversations with SC on the original depot, he's a font of knowledge.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

HaHa I hadn't thought of the mullard/mallard duck connection.

BTW Posted a couple of guitar pics in the "Guitars" section yesterday, strange as it may seem I also referenced "ducks"  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up