ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy settings but they worked magic with a Mesa Boogie power amp!  (Read 13562 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Man so many of you had mentioned how much Mesa Boogie stuff colors your tone and you were right!!!
But after a list price of around $1200 ( got it used/mint condition for $880.00 ) I figured let me fiddle with this and find a tone - cor my tone  ;D

Man what a beast!!!!! But the settings are crazy to get an amazing tone!
Check them out -

OD1 7.0 / OD2 7.0 / Master 6.0 / Bass 9 / Mid -12 / Treble 0 / Presence -8 and loop is in, Tube drive and no chorus.

Now this might look ridiculous but if you run these settings into a Mesa Boogie 2:50 Stereo Power amp with EL34s you will find a great hard/heavy setting, drop the gain down to 4.6 on OD1 and OD2 for a more classic Marshall drive, but these will work!

Oh and one other thing - I took the time to rewire my cabs to 8 ohms they way that Mesa suggests because it really does make a huge difference in the tone with this power amp!!

Anyway thought I would share with you guys! I'm so excited to get my rack kick' ass!!!  :headbanger:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!

Very good Dan!  :metal:

Just a question: what about noise with your MP-1 and those settings?

I found mine less noisy than I expected...
Ok, MP-1 on high gain is noisy...but I had worst memories to be honest...
On the run again!

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

Hey DJC,

glad to hear you got the ADA/Boogie combo to work and sound to your likings. Boogies (especially the Mk series, and thats basically what your 2:50 is, the power section of 2 Mk non-simulclass amps) are mid-heavy. I guess that´s the reason for dialling out the mids in the MP-1.
Now if you run the Boogie with EL34 (which are way more mid emphasized than the 6L6 it was originally designed to run) it adds up.
With my old Fifty/Fifty I got the most awesome results running either TungSol 6L6GC-STRs (I also recommended them to Dante to run in his DC5) or TAD 6L6WGC. Both tubes kinda smooth out the top end a bit and give you a tad bit more spongy feel on the low end (as opposed to your standard Russian or Chinese 6L6 that have a strong and hard emphasis on both top and low).
I guess you´re not on the Djenty side of things so these would be my suggestion to get the most out of your setup.

FX wise (read you just have a pair of pedals in there) I´d either hunt down a Rocktron Intellifex (MP-1 plus Intellifex is pure 80s/90s bliss...plus the addition of Rocktron´s HUSH) or something like a Digitech GSP1101 to run in 4 cable method with the ADA, thus enabling you have more options in terms of FX chain...you can put front end FX where they belong (e.g. a nice Boost/TS up front for added cream/sustain or a Comp/Phser/Flanger up front of your clean patches) and Chorus/Harmonizer/Delay/Reverb in the loop/end of the chain).
Theres a GSP1101 plus Control2 up for grabs (dirt cheap) in the classifieds at Sevenstring.org (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=317695) (I have no connection to the seller....I´m a German living in Japan....).

All Boogie bashing in here aside....ADA pre's and Boogie poweramps are a letter-perfect match!

Best

SC

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey DjC, the only slightly strange thing in your patch (from my experience) is Pres -8.  A big mid scoop is kind of normal for MP-1 rock patches.  Good advice from SC (as always  :thumb-up: ) he's tested quite a bit of gear over time and probably our resident boogie font of knowledge.

Riddle me this though, how much is a new carvin TS100 in your neck of the woods ?  They retail here in Oz for around ~$900 AUD (~$660 USD).  Very clean and transparent 2 x 50w tube amp, compared to B200s it just adds a hint of tube warmth, no colour.  Has 4, 8, & 16 ohm taps (selectable per channel), will run in (100w) bridged mode, supports EL34s or 6L6s (also channel independent), weighs 26lbs (11.3kgs) (which is half the weight of some other tube amps), very reliable (I've used one now for 4 or more years, its never missed a beat). 
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Very good Dan!  :metal:

Just a question: what about noise with your MP-1 and those settings?
Yeah I always use a gate so it goes dead silent the second I stop playing  :D

Hey DjC, the only slightly strange thing in your patch (from my experience) is Pres -8.

Yeah the Boogie with JJs EL34s is BRIGHT  :lol: There is a ton of coloring with the 2:50 but these settings I have listed are magic for me - pure Jose Arredondo modded Marshall!  :banana: That was the tone I was going after. And as far as the Carvin TS100 they are easy to get directly from Carvin however I have a ton of money already invested into the MP-1 and now the Mesa Boogie 2:50. And since I'm loving the tone, sound and VOLUME I should stick with this setup.
 But two days before Christmas I had by minutes missed a mint condition TS100 for $375 and I was pissed!! >:D But this worked out at the same time - only 3 times that amount  ;D

Hey DJC,

FX wise (read you just have a pair of pedals in there) I´d either hunt down a Rocktron Intellifex (MP-1 plus Intellifex is pure 80s/90s bliss...plus the addition of Rocktron´s HUSH

All Boogie bashing in here aside....ADA pre's and Boogie poweramps are a letter-perfect match!

Wow for sure - I had forgotten about the Rocktron Intellifex, great suggestion SC  :thumb-up:
Also I did switch out the Mesa 6L6s for JJ EL34 in the 2:50 which seemed to make the bottom end tighter at high volumes for me and also really bring out that Marshall style tone that for me, complements the MP-1 very much!  Very much to my ears I have created a rack version of a Jose' modded JCM 800.  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Hey DJC,

glad to hear you got the ADA/Boogie combo to work and sound to your likings. Boogies (especially the Mk series, and thats basically what your 2:50 is, the power section of 2 Mk non-simulclass amps) are mid-heavy. I guess that´s the reason for dialling out the mids in the MP-1.
Now if you run the Boogie with EL34 (which are way more mid emphasized than the 6L6 it was originally designed to run) it adds up.
With my old Fifty/Fifty I got the most awesome results running either TungSol 6L6GC-STRs (I also recommended them to Dante to run in his DC5) or TAD 6L6WGC. Both tubes kinda smooth out the top end a bit and give you a tad bit more spongy feel on the low end (as opposed to your standard Russian or Chinese 6L6 that have a strong and hard emphasis on both top and low).
I guess you´re not on the Djenty side of things so these would be my suggestion to get the most out of your setup.

Best

SC

Hey SC I had to scroll through all my posts to find this because I wanted to share this with you specifically  :D
 So today after having the JJ EL34s in the 2:50 for two days I began to be annoyed by the level of mids in my tone and put back the new original Mesa 6L6s - Man what a difference! The bottom end was huge and the mids were WAY mellowed out so I'm diggin' it!
 :banana: Just a huge massive sound and I couldn't be happier with it!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Lookout, a 6L6 convert LoL.  My TS100 came with 6L6s', I was never a fan, more an EL34 kind of guy, but I like them allot in this amp  :thumb-up: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Lookout, a 6L6 convert LoL.  My TS100 came with 6L6s', I was never a fan, more an EL34 kind of guy, but I like them allot in this amp  :thumb-up: .

Yeah I gone ahead and bought brand new JJ EL34s then read on here about the lower mids with the 6L6s and really liked them in  this power amp. And earlier today I put new JJ EL34s my buddy's Boogie 2:50 power and it rocks too!!
 So I actually like both, but just lean a little more towards the 6L6 for that amp.  ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator

So I actually like both, but just lean a little more towards the 6L6 for that amp.  ;D

In that case you gotta check out the TungSol 6L6GC-STR or the TAD 6L6WGC....they´re the best of both worlds (with a bit more emphasis in the 6L6 side of things)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

In that case you gotta check out the TungSol 6L6GC-STR or the TAD 6L6WGC....they´re the best of both worlds (with a bit more emphasis in the 6L6 side of things)

OK I will take your word for it Bro - hey send a link if you can and where to buy if you can!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator

OK I will take your word for it Bro - hey send a link if you can and where to buy if you can!  :thumb-up:

PM'ed
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

I also use those TAD's a lot whenever I'm replacing 6L6's, very good sounding tube.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

+1 on the TAD 6L6WGC power tubes, I put them in my DC-5 per SC's recommendation and that thing was amazing

vansinn

Just a comment on the mid scooping..
I do know there's a difference between the modern Mesa's and the old Mark II's, but still, do notice how JP (Dream Theater) always has the graphics EQ scooped way down somewhere in the mid section ;)
So, not too much of a wonder it's working for DJC with the MP-1.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up