ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Classic 60/60  (Read 7714 times)

kawai2g4b

Peavey Classic 60/60
« on: Time Format »

As we post in a forum with a bunch of rack amp gurus, enthusiasts, and the like...I figure you guys are the ones to best answer this for me.

I am seriously looking into a Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp and wanted to gather opinions, pros, and cons of this unit.  I have several preamps, including MP1 and MP2, so good pre-power match suggestions will be well worth it.  Also on consideration is the Carvin TS100 though I would rather not spend the extra 2 benjamins for one.  I am not going to consider the Classic 50/50 as it sounds too compressed (though it does sound good) for my desert/stoner rock inclinations.

Thanks again in advance guys
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Peavey Classic 60/60
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I've not used a Peavey 60/60 but others here have and seem to say good things about them.  The Carvin TS100 is a great amp, I've had one for about a year now and it goes really well with MP1/2 all tube and half the weight of Dante's ADA T100s.  Prior to that I used ADA B200s, also a great amp (for over 25 years).  The B200s is so transparent you don't know it's there (except that you have lots of grunt  >:D ), the TS100 is also very transparent, a little warmth from the tubes maybe and a good solid 50w per side.  The other amp I'd consider (though haven't tried personally) is the Carvin 1RU range, there was a DLM100?, the new version is a DLM200?, very light and compact, designed to run studio monitors (i.e. perfect for ADA pre-amps).

Just checked some pics of the Peavey: Pros, seems a good quality old school all tube amp and has some interesting I/O features on the back (the line outs you probably wouldn't use with guitar (unless you were stacking them for a huge stage rig)).
Cons: old, no doubt very heavy, big rack footprint (4RU?), controls on the back (were you can't get at them).
IMHO the TS100 would be a much better buy (albeit a bit more $s), they're brand new, 2RU, kicks ass, power, vol and presence knobs on the front (so you CAN get to them), better speaker out setup and, (not that you'd want to), runs in bridged mode as well (mines a 6L6 variant, however you can change to EL34s if you want).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kawai2g4b

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Cheerful conclusion to another thread.  Found a good deal on an old Carvin Tube 100 (T100) with EL34s, not to be confused with the TS100.  Also discovered that the presence knobs are next to the rear inputs, which I didn't know were there until I checked the user manual online.  So, problem solved...and this one will naturally go with the Quad-X that I have...though everything else will have their turn on it as I please.  >:D
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Cool, let us know how it goes  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Duke of Metal

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

hey guys,
I had both amps (Peavey 60/60 and Carvin T100).  both were good amps.  The Peavey 60/60 i always found it never had enough volume for a 60watts amp, even through a 4x12 cabinet.

the T100 had plenty volume and punch, but I found it to get mushy and end up muddy sounding after using it for about 30-45min.  I ended up having the whole poweramp modded with brand new components and it sounded alot better.  but it took about 3 hours worth of work and whole wack of components change.  It sounded a lot better when bridged. plenty of volume and punch.

Good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up