ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping guitars in a sea container  (Read 7276 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Shipping guitars in a sea container
« on: Time Format »

Yo folks,

since I´m moving from Germany to the land of the rising sun pretty soon I need some advice concerning packing/prepping my guitars for their trip....
Our complete household will be shipped via sea transport in a sealed 40 ft container.
I planned for the guitars to travel in SKB Route66 cases (my case of choice since many moons), each packed with an additional 500g pack of Silica Gel inside the case.
Besides from removing strings and loosening the Truss rod is there anything else I should do or keep in mind?
I was told by the moving company that the container will be underways for approx 40 days (ETD Germany > ETA Japan).

Thanks for any hints/tips and comments.....

SC

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Shipping guitars in a sea container
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey SC,

Your guitars have rosewood fretboards, I would recommend getting a bottle of Homer Formbys Lemon Oil, and apply that to the fretboards with a cotton ball. Apply it generously, and let the guitar sit with it. The wood will absorb it in about 20-30 minutes. Apply it again, and repeat the process until it doesn't seem to soak in as fast anymore.

Salt air is not good for unsealed wood, and this will help preserve it against the salt.
   BTW, this is a treatment I do to all my rosewood necks at least twice a year. It keeps the wood healthy, and sounding like it should, and I would recommend this for any guitars with rosewood or ebony fretboards.

Harley 8)

P.S. I recommend this brand because it contains no solvents or spirits. If you can;t find this in Germany, look for something similar!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, I've never shipped a guitar before so no direct experience.  Giving the FBs a good drink is a good idea  :thumb-up: and loosen strings and truss rod also.  SKBs are air tight aren't they ? originally designed for the US military, also the container is supposed to be air tight and water proof.  But lets go overkill, and partly based on shipments of guitars which come into the country all the time for the music stores to sell.  So you could put the case in a sealed plastic bag and/or bubble wrap it, and put that/them into a cardboard box with lots of foamy bits.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Considering how new guitars gets shipped, I wouldn't be too worried with your far further reaching methods.

I've received new axes wrapped in bubblewrap in a cardboard box with no issues, though I will say I personally wouldn't ship like that.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I don't know if you need to loosen up the strings, but definitely oil up the fretboards. I would also wrap them in plastic just to keep them airtight. The only other advice I can give you is to make sure your guitar is in it's case TIGHT. No shifting, no loose areas at all.

I had a Les Paul delivered that arrived with a cracked neck. The neck cracked because there was no padding above the cutaway, allowing the guitar to slide a bit in the case, and because the postal carrier was standing it ON IT'S HEAD when it arrived. No telling how long it was standing on it's head. Neck was repaired and it's fine, but any intrinsic value is ruined.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,

It sounds to me like that Les Paul got dropped on it's head. They're too well built to simply crack from just shipping alone, but I agree that there should be no room for shifting, (excessively) in the cases. Cases that are matched with their guitars usually don't have room for shifting anyway.

Harley 8)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Tks for the replies.

The SKB Cases are snuggly fits for the guitars, no probs there. Necks will be oiled before final packing. The moving company will wrap the cases in packing plastic foil before stowing them in the container.
Since they are moving my complete belongings including wooden furniture andelectronic appliances I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a sealed container.
0.5kg Silica gel packs per guitar case should take care of any humidity in the cases themselves.

Our complete belongings are insured up to the price I would have to pay to get everything brand new, including the guitars...

I think I can put a tick in that box as well.....time to sit back and take a breath. One-way ticket for the flight on May 15th :metal:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

To be clear: my guitar was in an SKB branded Les Paul case. It was an aftermarket case, not factory, and not form fitted. The guitar is an Ibanez LP, so the headstock is larger and longer than a regular LP (see the George Benson model) and probably didn't help the old '80s mahogany in that neck.

SC: Sounds like you're going to be fine. What's a tick?  O0

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey SC,

Those shipping containers are not airtight brother, that's why I recommended the oil on the fretboards, to keep the salt air from cracking them. I hope everything has a safe trip over there. That's always the biggest concern when moving like that.

Harley 8)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

What's a tick?

That's UK for "check mark"   :)  Tick in the box = checked on the list
  Not to be confused with "tic"  btw.   lol

Hey SC, how about stacking your guitar cases between the bed mattresses? ....if you're shipping your bed anyway. 
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

SC -

A thought occurred to me (it happens, I have my moments). You could live in that container when it gets to Japan, it's probably bigger than most apartments.

Just arrange all your furniture inside, attach everything to the floor, have your pictures (and guitars) pre-hung on the walls, and have it delivered to the spot of your choice. Open the doors = instant apartment ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up