ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking Nut Replacement Dilemma  (Read 28942 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Locking Nut Replacement Dilemma
« on: Time Format »

Ok guy's this is the topic I wanted to bring up but wasn't sure about.  Well it's more of a problem I have.

My Pink Squier Stagemaster that I'm now known for  now apparently :facepalm:  (yes fans ask me where it is from time to time at gigs!!)
is currently out of action.

The reason being:

I cannot find a replacmenet locking nut for this guitar because the screw hole for one of the locking bolts has threaded due to wear and tear.  Sounds silly and like a small issue right?  Well it's not.  I have tried about 4-5 different locking nuts and not one of them fits this guitar.

Now I can get a locking nut that will fit in regards to width (41mm suits although the original locking nut is a tiny bit smaller).

And also I can get any of these locking nuts to screw into the mounting holes.  However........................... :facepalm: :dunno:

The holes are positioned to far away from the edge of the fretboard for these replacement nuts to mount flush against the rosewood.  They leave about a 1mm gap!!  Which means the the original nut must be slightly broader or else have the holes drilled within a different place on the steel baseplate.

Either way this is a major issue stopping me play one of my fav guitars.  I needs your ideas.

Things I have thought off:

Fill the original mounting holes and have them redrilled  top side same as the original.

Fill in the original holes, but have a rear mounting nut installed (I am very reluctant to do this.)

Have a luthier make me a little buffer thing, to fill the gap but allow the strings to rest at the right spot therefore allowing for correct intonation

I really dunno the possibilities of what I have mentioned here but you guys might have ideas and experience!  Would should be a simple swap out of hardware has turned into a nightmare!

PS I have tried Gotoh 41mm front mounting locking nut, Original Floyd Rose front mounting locking nut, and a couple of no namers.

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
Re: Locking Nut Replacement Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Is your squier old ? if not maybe you can ask the support to get the good replacement nuts ?
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Is your squier old ? if not maybe you can ask the support to get the good replacement nuts ?

I actually contacted Squier, they said they had no left over parts for it  :(

It's 1999 so 17 years.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Can you post a few pics?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

pictures of the guitar?  Or pictures of the old nut or replacement nuts not fitting into the correct spot behind the neck?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, mmm been this place a few times, all the solutions have different threads... best IMO is to plug the holes (not that hard, a bit of a pain though) and fix it. I understand the reluctance to do this. Your other choice is to get someone to re-core your holes and give you hardware that fits screws works. At the end of the day, there should be someone who can make you a replacement, but it will no doubt cost.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, mmm been this place a few times, all the solutions have different threads... best IMO is to plug the holes (not that hard, a bit of a pain though) and fix it. I understand the reluctance to do this. Your other choice is to get someone to re-core your holes and give you hardware that fits screws works. At the end of the day, there should be someone who can make you a replacement, but it will no doubt cost.

Don't follow you man  :dunno:, when you say plug the holes, do you mean plug the holes of the original locking nut base?

The only reluctance I have with any solution is if I have the original screw holes filled in, and the new holes are drilled from the rear and therefore allowing me to install a rear mounting locking nut.  The floyd rose locking nut I have allows me to install from either the top or the bottom.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

See PM, lets talk  :wave:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

All the FR locking nuts I've played with screw from the rear (to attach to the guitar), I had a gotoh that screwed from the top but that one sat behind the nut, The FR locking shit is (becomes) the nut. I'm not across any FR lock nut that screws from the top ????. But hey you guys never cease to amaise me with whats out there..

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

just to show you an example

check this page of original FR locking nuts.  These are standard and can be mounted from either side so long as you have screws to either mount top or bottom.  The FR guy on their website told me it is standard now to sell their locking nuts with only mounting screws for the top, although they are capable of being mounted from the bottom (but then you'd need the correct bolts for that).  I have saw then for sale with mounting screws for both top and bottom.  The gotoh locking nut I bought brand new only allows for top side mounting, a completely seperate model is required for rear mounting.

http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=67

The guitar I have the issue with is top mounting also.  I have guitars with rear mounting though and also behind the nut locking but on seperate blocks which means they still have an actual regular nut as well.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The only 2 I've bumped into are the one that came on my Anderson, and and the schaller FR I put on my tele. they both mount from underneath/behind (2 Allen bolts) and totally replace/become the nut. The gotoh I had for my tele before that had a behind the nut locking thing that mounted from the top, worked ok...

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Say RG,what is actually busted?Do you have a pic?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

the left hand side clamp and bolt can no longer screw into the hole because the base plate hole has threaded.  I can take a picture but you wont see very much.  I'll take one and show exactly where I mean though.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

You mean one of those 3 screwes?Ok i get it.

What we do at work if something like this happends is we drill out the hole.Normally these screws are M4 (in a floyd it is).
So drill it out with a 4.2mm drill put and M5 thread in it.And we have special "screws" that have on the outside M5 thread and on the inside M4 thread.Also we use a special kind of loctite glue to keep it in place.Works perfect.
Now the only downside coult be that the plate isn't thick enough to hold it.But it exists,so maybe you could try it.I think you can find at any good hardware store.And if needed i could send you a few.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

the hole closest to the bottom is stripped, its the hole the bolt for the clamp screws into.  If I drill a hole bigger in the base plate I'll need to drill a hole in the clamp too?

sounds crazy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up