Non ADA Gear > Amps

NAD 90s Carvin Tube 100

<< < (2/5) > >>

MarshallJMP:

--- Quote from: Systematic Chaos on July 11, 2017, 05:27:33 AM ---
Everything else is pretty straight forward and simplistic. Maybe the circuitry can be modded to accept 6L6/5881....will have to check with MJMP on that

http://carvinimages.com/schematics/Tube100%20Output%20Schematic.pdf

--- End quote ---

Let me know if I can help out.

Systematic Chaos:

--- Quote from: Harley Hexxe on July 11, 2017, 09:02:57 AM ---Great find SC!  :thumb-up:

I see the Presence knobs on the back of it for each channel.
    Don't they run 100V in Japan?

In any case, what I was looking for on the back and don't seem to see, is a voltage bias for tube replacement. Hopefully there is one on the inside on the PCB. That would definitely cut the cost on a tube change.

Who knows? You might like the tone of this one with EL34's.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, JPN is 100V but there's lots of US-Voltage gear operated and running here with no problems.
While rechecking the schematics there's bias pots for each side (l & r), so no biggie re-biasing after a tube change.
I've modded various Boogie fixed bias amps in the past so even if this would've been fixed I would've had no headaches with it ;-)

--- Quote from: MarshallJMP on July 11, 2017, 02:41:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Systematic Chaos on July 11, 2017, 05:27:33 AM ---
Everything else is pretty straight forward and simplistic. Maybe the circuitry can be modded to accept 6L6/5881....will have to check with MJMP on that

http://carvinimages.com/schematics/Tube100%20Output%20Schematic.pdf

--- End quote ---

Let me know if I can help out.

--- End quote ---

@MJMP: Thanks bro! I was wondering if there was a way (maybe by tinkering with/modding the circuitry) to run 6L6/5881 tubes in the amp. I've linked the schematic above and attached all revision schematics...
Will post gut-shots once I have the amp on hands

Harley Hexxe:
Hey SC,

Tell me you are at least going to check the amp out as is with your rig before you start tinkering with the circuitry.

Systematic Chaos:
No worries Harley, I’ll give it a thorough check. But there’s a reason I’ve ditched all EL34 based poweramp stages in favor of 6L6/5881 ever since. The only exception is when running 6L6 in Class AB and 34 in Class A simultaneously (Boogie Mk SimulClass)

Harley Hexxe:
Hey SC,

If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason?
     I've been using 6L6 power tubes for years, and I feel the need to try something different, so this is why I went with the power amps I have now. I'm definitely getting a pronounced, and articulated bottom end response from these with a nice midrange, so I'm pretty happy with them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version