Non ADA Gear > Amps

NAD 90s Carvin Tube 100

(1/5) > >>

Systematic Chaos:
Did I mention that you gotta love Japan  ;D ;D ;D

Just scored a '93 Carvin Tube 100 off Yahoo Auctions here in Japan for a blasting 85€.
Nice 2U rack poweramp from the early 90s with the even nicer feature of a 120/240V switch.
Other than that it's a basic 2x50w stereo tube poweramp. Gotta check how it sounds once it's delivered.
I'm not too fond of EL34 sound though....gotta wait and listen.

rnolan:
Hey SC, great score, I'm pretty sure you'll like it.  I suspect the new version which I have is very similar, they put the presence knobs on the front but apart from that it looks the same(ish), now mine can run 6L6 (which is how it came) or EL34, may be so can that one ?

Systematic Chaos:
I’ve briefly compared the schematics and there’s quite some differences. My “old” one seems EL34 only. Big win though is the voltage selection switch so I can use it both here and in Europe.
Everything else is pretty straight forward and simplistic. Maybe the circuitry can be modded to accept 6L6/5881....will have to check with MJMP on that

http://carvinimages.com/schematics/Tube100%20Output%20Schematic.pdf

Harley Hexxe:
Great find SC!  :thumb-up:

I see the Presence knobs on the back of it for each channel.
    Don't they run 100V in Japan?

In any case, what I was looking for on the back and don't seem to see, is a voltage bias for tube replacement. Hopefully there is one on the inside on the PCB. That would definitely cut the cost on a tube change.

Who knows? You might like the tone of this one with EL34's.

rADAr:
This is a what I currently have with my AXE-FX II. This early version can only use EL34 tubes, I think. It sounds good to me, but I find the clean sounds can be a little lacklustre - after having owned the Mesa 2:90 with 6L6's for comparison, that is. Enjoy, look forward to hearing how you like it...!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version