ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: We want ADA to make re-issues (MP1, MP2, MB1, B200s etc)  (Read 31233 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey All, So starting this topic for Orkun, he was thinking to start a campaign on change.org to get signatures to get ADA to make re-issues. He and I exchanged a few PMs about it, and I sugested a discussion topic, so here it is  :)

(Orkun:- My wish is MP-1 , MP-2 , MP-1 Classic , MQ-1  etc... old ADA rack products reproduce by ADA. Because I want to see them in the future too, as a very good condition. I wanna new replacement parts too. I know, there is some replacement parts but I wanna more. Because I said that, I will use my MP-1 forever. And I will buy ADA rack units. But as a new. Because when I buy my MP-1, it has got a problem. Now, it repaired. But it's first owner said me that: "It hasn't got any problems. It is like a new." But when I got it, it has got a problem. So I don't wanna buy used things more. I wanna reissue of old ADA rack units by ADA. Like Marshall JCM 800)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Orkun

• 80s Hard Rock/Metal Forever

Thanks rnolan! Tomorrow I will start a campaign on change.org .
« Last Edit: Time Format by Orkun »

vansinn

A reissued series would be great, and I wholeheartedly support this.
Just do note that all devices needs to be re-engineered with new power supply, cpu, (part of) logic circuitry, reprogramming et al..
While absolutely doable, it still isn't a 'just-like-that' job.
Let's hope Dave is up to it (lost his son a few years ago).

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

That would be nice, but also quite a long stretch to actually see happen.  Unfortunately, this kind of endeavor would require a considerable amount of money to get going....money that is highly unlikely to get back to "break even" let alone create a profit of some sorts.  Passion is great, but passion alone won't pay the employees or the bills.  :(  Rack gear for guitarists just doesn't sell like pedals and amp heads. 

How about an all tube amp head by ADA?  That stands a real good chance of selling.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

I agree with Kim on this one.You can try it but it's a small chance it will ever happen.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

I would also like to see something like that happen as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath that it ever will. Just like many of us here have been hopeful about seeing a MP-3, ever since we heard that ADA was going back into business, and that doesn't look like it will ever happen either.
  At the time the MP-1 came out, the trend at the time was for more guitar players to move from stomp boxes to studio, (rack mount) effects, and ADA jumped on that bandwagon at the time, and produced a variety of effects for years before Dave decided to introduce the MP-1. Using MIDI, and incorporating that to create a programmable preamp, which was up until that time exclusively for keyboards, was what made the MP-1 the innovation of the century.
  Since that time, MIDI in the guitar domain has proven to be generally unpopular because the majority of guitar players are too impatient to learn it well enough to be able to use it, and rack gear in general has faded from popularity since the mid 90's and hasn't made a comeback either. In fact, the current trend is for everything to become smaller and more simplified. While I still believe it a great idea to have 128 amplifier tones stored in a small box that I can call up at the press of a button, the truth is, and this applies to most of us here at the Forum too, we really only use no more than a handful of presets in any practical performance application. Most guitar players dial in a clean, crunchy, and distorted tone that suits us and basically, use those with whatever effects we like. This was also true with the famous MP-1 users back in the 80's as well. This is why two and three channel amplifier heads are currently the production standard. Kim's suggestion about an amplifier head would probably be the closest we'd see from ADA if they were to go into that direction, and that was where ADA was headed before they disappeared in the 90"s with their combo amps, (i.e. Rocket, Viper, Quad-tube). Maybe in the future, Dave might produce an amp head, who knows?
   As far as replacement parts for our rack gear, I have doubts. Many of the components that were used in our rack gear was proprietary and only made while our rack gear was in production. When our models were discontinued, so were these proprietary parts. Those of us who were around when the ADA preamps were on the market and going strong also remember that ADA stopped making effects units within a year or two after the introduction of the MP-1. ADA went from signal processors to amplification systems exclusively.  That was because the bandwidth of the ADA processors was not up to par with the more popular and established brand names, and was considered low-end processors. It would have cost a lot more for ADA to re-design their processors to compete with the high-end brand names already out there, and the units themselves would have cost much more than they did at the time.
   I'd sign a petition, but as I said earlier, looking at the trend in today's market, I wouldn't hold out much hope for it going anywhere. The closest thing I think we might see from ADA would possibly be a stomp box sized power amp to add to the current line of ADA products to complete a fly rig on the floor, but even that is doubtful.

Just my opinion though, and we all know what opinions are like :lol:

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Chamai

make the tone adjustment on the mp1 with knobs instead of numbers. i will be happy. not interested in the pedal.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

vansinn

Many interesting and valid comments and arguments on here.

I'd say that the only processor worth bringing back to life would be the MP-1, simply because of part it's everywhere-recognized qualities, part due to it's fairly uncomplicated design, and partly due to it's cult-like status - I sometimes still see people on other forums (like sevenstring.org) saying "just bring back the MP-1".

The Classic may be a very neat device, but has no status compared to the original MP-1.

The MP-2 (I have two) was too complicated; lots of cool features for sure, but none of the modern effects that the audience would crave in a modern device.

I believe fairly few would shop an MP-1 (I have one) - I only rarely see comments on the MB-1 from bass players.

However, the MB-1 can be quite sexy for the downtuned / multistring guitars that are pretty popular these days (and will remain so as the market and applications expand).
Further, these days loads of players work in home/project studios on both guitars and bass.
As such, it would make perfect sense combining the MP-1 and MB-1 designs, both of which are fairly straight forward designs, into one dual/triple channel preamp.

Even without added modern effects, I think many would like such an approach for the flexibility of tone shaping.
But oh wait.. adapting those designs to feature a modern PIC processor with build-in 30 MIPS DSP would easily allow adding a few basic effects like reverbs and delays, as, once the PIC has been integrated, no other hardware (apart from AD/DA to/fro the PIC) would need to be arranged into the original design.
And I'm sure this would be enough to satisfy many a player looking for a real authentic tube-analog sound..
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Orkun

But there are a lot of pedals and heads nowadays. I think, rack must back. Because you can create your own amp sound. You can select your preamp and power amp. But you can't do this if you buy head amp. Your preamp and power amp specific and you can't change it.
But if your opinion is different, I respect.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Some good reactions here.Like already said,most players prefer amps now,I think maybe 10-20% of the players still use racks and that's not enough to bring out new rack products.Now ADA did bring the MP-1 back but in a pedal,and it sounds quite good it's not what we rack players need.
Now on the other hand,the MP (MB) racks are getting old,I think most of them still work after all these years and if you maintain them a bit you can still use them for many years.And yes some chips are obsolete now but you can still find them if you want.At the moment there's only 2 things you can't find anymore,that's the CE425 chip in the MP-2 (driver for the level LED's) and the front panels.For the rest they can be repaired.Usually the obsolete chips don't break down easely.Even the old effect racks can be repaired.

Orkun

Some good reactions here.Like already said,most players prefer amps now,I think maybe 10-20% of the players still use racks and that's not enough to bring out new rack products.Now ADA did bring the MP-1 back but in a pedal,and it sounds quite good it's not what we rack players need.
Now on the other hand,the MP (MB) racks are getting old,I think most of them still work after all these years and if you maintain them a bit you can still use them for many years.And yes some chips are obsolete now but you can still find them if you want.At the moment there's only 2 things you can't find anymore,that's the CE425 chip in the MP-2 (driver for the level LED's) and the front panels.For the rest they can be repaired.Usually the obsolete chips don't break down easely.Even the old effect racks can be repaired.

You are right. So I won't start a campaign.
Thanks for everyone for replies.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

But there are a lot of pedals and heads nowadays. I think, rack must back. Because you can create your own amp sound. You can select your preamp and power amp. But you can't do this if you buy head amp. Your preamp and power amp specific and you can't change it.
But if your opinion is different, I respect.

What you're saying is true, when you buy and amp head, you are limited to it's range of tone(s) within it's sound spectrum. That was the great thing about the ADA preamps, (all of them), you had a wider range of tones than you could ever get from any single amp. And yes, I agree you can tailor make your whole guitar amplification system to suit your personal taste with a component system. This requires thought, and unfortunately that seems to hurt most of the guitar players who are around. The general belief of the majority of guitar players is to have a guitar, a cord, and an amp, and just go for it!
   These are the type of personalities I don't bother to debate with because they have the intellect of a house plant. So when someone pooh-poohs on your rack rig, just smile and know you are an above average intelligent guitar player. That's what I do. When they sell their amp and go buy a different one because they want a fresh sound, and they keep repeating that cycle while I still have my same rack gear and just tweak it until I get what I'm looking for, then that in itself speaks volumes.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

That's true,some do have the intellect of a house plant. :facepalm:

PrimalScream91

I'll admit that the thought of a new MP unit has definitely been in my mind for quite some time. I seem to recall someone from A/DA saying that they were exploring the idea for a new MP unit a while back. But I think some good points have been made here, most guitar players prefer an amp head, if only for the looks.

I think that in regards to rack mounted pre-amps, A/DA knows that Fractal and Kemper are the heavyweights, and it would be difficult for them to break into that market. Personally I'm not a fan of either, having so many different options leads to option-paralysis in my case.

You could market it as a Head as well as a rack unit like Kemper does. Their Profiler is available as both a head as well as a 19" rack.

Bear with me as I try to explain this.

Every setting (OD1, OD2, Master Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, etc) has a knob. Each knob has little LED's around it (think of Kemper) that show the setting. Once you dial in your sound, you can save that setting to a preset. (The voicing knob would only have 3 LED's obviously) Maybe an option to kick on more tubes for those of you who want 3 or 4 running (Hughes & Kuttner did this with the power amp tubes on their TriAmp Mark 3).

After saving the preset, you can always call it up by selecting it and the LED's around the knobs will showcase the setting for that pre. If you want to make a quick adjustment, all you need to do is turn the knob. That way you don't have to press "Edit," then the  desired setting you want to change, before actually being able to change it, you can literally do it in seconds.

I'd assume it would have a screen on it, because that makes things easier. Although I don't know what the screen would show other than the preset/ bank. (I'm more of an idea guy than a technical guy :lol:)

As far as the power amp section goes you could do the same thing with the tubes, have 2, 3, 4, on or just kill them and go into a solid state circuit, or bypass the damn thing altogether and go into a dedicated power amp.

I figure once the guys in the Digital Modification thread are done, they could knock one of these bad boys out in... 6 months?  :dunno: :lol:

Comments? Criticisms?
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

This would be nice to see, but honestly not going to happen.

Rack stuff as Kim has mentioned doesn't sell well anymore.  I am the only one of two people I know off using rack gear in my country!!  It's just not in vogue at the minute and the cost for such an operation would definitely not be justified profit wise for the company.  If they did it they'd go bust probably or run out of cash half way through. 

When I play through my little 3U rack people come up to my rig and sit and stare at it and wonder what the hell it is.  I had some kid the other night from a support band come up to me and ask to use my pedal as he forgot some kit (f**king amateurs!).  Anyways I said "no" as I would have to program a usable sound for him from scratch as it was all set up to have an external preamp in the loop and when I pointed to my pre and said "I get my distortion from this" he looked rather worried and frightened!!!

So anyways the point is, there is not the awareness of rack stuff the same way there used to be in the 80's, at least not for guitar anyways.  The rack market is largely made up of live/stage sound equipment now.

For guitar, currently, I would say Amps are really dominating at the moment, amps and one or two stomps seems to be what I encounter mostly with other guitarists.

Nice idea though.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up