ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NGD: Ibanez SAS36FM - Stratesque Setneck Shredder  (Read 13583 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

So we can look forward to a tiny red guitar with grey stripes ? LoL. Seems like you could have achieved the same result by reversing the bridge PU. Not that it matters unless your an "absolute phase" aficionado like an audiophile friend of mine. Great you've got it (him) singing now  :thumb-up:
My JPLP has the 2 PUs out of phase so middle switch position really is the Jimmy Page sound, I quite like it, particularly with the bridge switched to parallel (has series parallel for B PU on the tone pot).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Seems like you could have achieved the same result by reversing the bridge PU.

Y'know, I had thought of that, but I wasn't sure which wires to flip/flop. I know exactly which ones were for the Mid/Neck PUs, so I just went that route. I wanted to get it done all at once, I have 'tested' enough different variations with this thing - lol

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Dante, I know what you mean, as long as it works  :thumb-up: , the ones to reverse on the bridge PU would be the +ve and -ve of the overall output, but hey you got it sussed, either way works..

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

Okay guys,

I got home from work (it's Friday night) and immediately popped a beer and picked up the aforementioned guitar. Flipping it over, I saw that a wire had come loose - the hot wire for the bridge PU, which I know was working before...it just fell off recently & had nothing to do with the tinny crap I heard before. I soldered it back on & tried the guitar - yup, still sounds out of phase.

Which got me thinking....I learned to wire up guitars on a Squire Strat I picked up for $50, I put a HSH config in that one. I had a similar problem where the whole guitar sounded very tinny and thin. The problem was the single coil PU in the middle, it was out of phase. I reversed the wires and it sounded amazing. So, with this experience under my belt, I reversed the wires on the two single coils in this guitar and the results were equally amazing - it sounds pretty frickin good. Magnus was right about that Evolution PU too. I get a bit of boost from pulling the push/pull pot (running parallel). I'm not sure if it's really louder or if it's just cutting through the mix like a spear, but I like it.

I'm going to button up the innards, put the trussrod cover back on, clean him up and play him for a few days. He sounds killer now though...I think I'll call him Killer  >:D His red cousin is a girl, her name is Ruby  :-*

Awesome....glad to hear it worked out! Running the Evo (or any humbucker) in parallel is actually less *powerful* than running in series, but it produces a slight spike in the higher freqs that cut through better and give the impression of the pup being more powerful....

I like the cat btw....also have 3 :-)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

One of my favourite tones on the JPLP is using the bridge in parallel, with series neck PU, and PUs are out of phase.  Vols down to 2.5 - 3 with my MP2  rhythm patch. A great sound scape IMO.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

My kitty is named Freddy, he's awesome

I must say, the Evo is better in this guitar than it was in the RG or the Vee. Much better. After playing for a couple days, here's how I feel about the DiMarzio Evolution:

It's a hot PU. Not active, but hot. The dirty sounds are dirtier, yet the clean sounds are actually cleaner (wha?) than the stock Duosound humbucker (made by DiMarzio). The stock PU does great for classic rock stuff, because it's cleaner on the gain, but I could easily use either of these in place of the other at a gig. The cleans are much better than the stock PU. The stock PU has a bit too much bite on the high freqs and I had to compensate for that with my patches.

The Evo has a PAF type of attack on the high gain stuff, kind of a squeal that bites into the note. Very tasty. Like a slice of chocolate cake...SC knows what I'm talking about

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

:hair-out: FRICK!! I am struggling with getting this guitar wired up using a standard Fender 5-way switch and an All Parts push/pull pot. Can anybody lend me a hand?

I have a wiring diagram I came up with, but it doesn't work. The bridge pickup is the only issue I'm having. Please have a look at the diagram I've attached and compare it to the one Systematic Chaos gave me earlier in this thread. Then, tell me what I'm doing wrong...please, I beg you

Update 11/24: I have a new diagram, which works until I pull up the push/pull pot. Other than that, the guitar works great. The #2 position does split the coil of the bridge PU (and loses volume expectedly). Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I will continue to press on.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up