ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Machine Head String turns  (Read 10190 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Machine Head String turns
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I was always told the winds where important to get the string going down nicely over the nut so string trees aren't doing all the work.

I have some tuners on one axe that don't need trees at all as they are height adjustable for having the string go over the nut properly.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I was always told the winds where important to get the string going down nicely over the nut so string trees aren't doing all the work.

I have some tuners on one axe that don't need trees at all as they are height adjustable for having the string go over the nut properly.

Hey RG,

The number of string windings ARE important on a guitar with non-locking tuners, and a standard nut, but it makes no difference with a locking nut. Once you clamp down the strings at the nut and lock them, you could (theoretically), cut off the strings behind the nut, and it won't affect your tone. Of course, no one would want to do that. I'm just illustrating my point.

The other tuners are the staggered tuners I mentioned, that you don't want to use string trees with, because that will cause tuning issues if you use the tremolo. I have a set of Sperzel locking tuners like that on my 1980 STRAT, and one of my 2004 Showmaster guitars. Even the Ezy-glide string trees caused tuning issues, so I removed them. No issues now.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

off topic but: I've been putting Tusq self-lubricating nuts on all my guitars lately. It made a big difference with my Wilkenson trem guitars, they're much easier to keep in tune now.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

The number of string windings ARE important on a guitar with non-locking tuners, and a standard nut, but it makes no difference with a locking nut. Once you clamp down the strings at the nut and lock them, you could (theoretically), cut off the strings behind the nut, and it won't affect your tone. Of course, no one would want to do that. I'm just illustrating my point.

The other tuners are the staggered tuners I mentioned, that you don't want to use string trees with, because that will cause tuning issues if you use the tremolo. I have a set of Sperzel locking tuners like that on my 1980 STRAT, and one of my 2004 Showmaster guitars. Even the Ezy-glide string trees caused tuning issues, so I removed them. No issues now.

Harley 8)

Hey Harley,

I should have mentioned I was referring to "non" locking nut guitars, of course it doesn't matter if you have a locking nut.

I was thinking of one of my strats that has a bone nut and locking tuners when I mentioned that the string winds are important.

The tuners you talk about are different from the ones I have.  The ones I have are height adjustable.  They do the same job as staggereds though it's just you set the height yourself.  I don't like them if I am honest and I don't think they do f*ck all for tuning stability either (they lock as well).

off topic but: I've been putting Tusq self-lubricating nuts on all my guitars lately. It made a big difference with my Wilkenson trem guitars, they're much easier to keep in tune now.

I nearly got a tusq nut on my strat that the guitar witch doctor I know was resurrecting for me, but he ended up just putting in bone one.  It was to replace a botched LSR nut that some d*ck head installed on the axe.  I thought the guitar was a goner but this new guy I go to to sort my axes seems good.  He is the one sorting my theaded locking nut at the minute.  I've heard good things about the tusq stuff.  On the same axe with the bone nut I have the string saver graphtec saddles.  The give endless amounts of harmonics and tone!  Awesome shit!
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

I've never seen tuning machines like the ones you are describing..."adjustable height" locking tuners.  :???:

Personally, It doesn't sound like a good idea. From an Engineer's point of view, if you over-engineer something, you are inviting problems and complications. I feel the best solutions are always the ones that are kept to the simplest forms, and this definitely applies to mechanical physics. As for any locking tuners, I would never have more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a string wrap around the post. This is because  the string has nothing to bind on in the wrong position, so it will come to rest in the original tuned position after using the tremolo bar. Of course it also helps if the side of the string post is polished smooth so there are no rough surfaces for the string or it's windings to catch on. A Dremel tool with a buffing pad and a bit of metal polish can fix that.

Harley 8)

I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up