• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Main Menu

MP-1 Development History/Timeline

Started by 2112, November 09, 2017, 12:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Mods please move if this isn't the right place to post this).

Has anyone compiled a history/timeline of the development and release of the MP-1, including firmware history and board revisions?

I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information except for bits and pieces (Todd Langner being involved for one), so if anyone could point me in the right direction or provide a run down that would be greatly appreciated.

MarshallJMP

Well there were 7 board revisions, A to G and 5 firmware versions V1.36,V1.37,V1.38,V2.00 and V2.01.Of the midi board there were 2 versions.
Now for a timeline, we could do that if we compare the date codes on the IC's with the revision.

rnolan

No worries, moved to MP1 area.
So MJMP, Kim and Harley (who we haven't heard from for a bit) seem to have a decent handle on time lines etc.  I kind of know a bit about them from an Australian perspective as I used to do the guitar repairs for Pro Audio who were the Australian distributor (and Nunzio (the owner back then) is a friend of mine..).  But he didn't bring in everything (as I've found out later when I discovered the Depot many years ago).
So I bought one of the first MP1s Nunz imported (1987 ish ?), a V1 hardware unit (with top switch for Inst/line output level) probably 1.38 EPROM, and I upgraded the EPROM once along the way. MikeB now has this unit and has modernised it (MDRT, SS tube board, v2.01 EPROM, noise mod, battery mod, rear jack mod etc).  I sold it to Mike to buy the MP2 when it came into the country.  I don't think Nunz ever bought the MP1 classic to Australia  :dunno: as they came after the MP2.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

Ahh MJMP you snuck in will I was typing  :thumb-up:

Quote from: rnolan on November 09, 2017, 05:13:28 AM
No worries, moved to MP1 area.
So MJMP, Kim and Harley (who we haven't heard from for a bit) seem to have a decent handle on time lines etc.  I kind of know a bit about them from an Australian perspective as I used to do the guitar repairs for Pro Audio who were the Australian distributor (and Nunzio (the owner back then) is a friend of mine..).  But he didn't bring in everything (as I've found out later when I discovered the Depot many years ago).
So I bought one of the first MP1s Nunz imported (1987 ish ?), a V1 hardware unit (with top switch for Inst/line output level) probably 1.38 EPROM, and I upgraded the EPROM once along the way. MikeB now has this unit and has modernised it (MDRT, SS tube board, v2.01 EPROM, noise mod, battery mod, rear jack mod etc).  I sold it to Mike to buy the MP2 when it came into the country.  I don't think Nunz ever bought the MP1 classic to Australia  :dunno: as they came after the MP2.

That's fascinating. My MP-1 previously belonged to my Dad, who sold it to my uncle who I bought it back from. From memory he ordered it from pro audio at a similar time!

rnolan

There was nothing else like them in the day, suddenly I could have 128 sounds at whatever level compared to one another, and run it all in stereo, never looked back  :metal: .

Chip Roberts

I'd actually be really interested in a comprehensive coffee table book about ADA as a company, but especially the MP1 as it is such a unique unit, but there's not a whole lot of information about its history.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75