ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: corrosion and grime on pcb... why didn't i notice it before.  (Read 5656 times)

Richie_B

I was taking another look at my mp1 and wondering about the ongoing issue with the chorus. Contemplating just adding an effects unit, maybe a gmajor2. Anyway... I was looking at the right side of the board and noticed how dirty it was. Funny what you see when you change your glasses. Here are a few pics of the mess. I did clean some of it off which you may notice in the second pic. I have to say that to the naked eye, it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it does in the picture.
Guitars: Fernandes ST 40, FST 125, Fernandes TEJ LTD ED and a Vortex. Chapman ML3 Pro Modern.

ADA MP1, ENGL E530, ENGL 840/50 Power amp, Carvin X100B, 2X12 cab.

MikeB

You should try setting a mouse trap.  It certainly looks like something has been living in there.
I don't feel tardy!

Richie_B

I was thinking the previous owner may have spilled something in there. The other side is pretty much spotless. I've put up a link to a video of the guts of the unit in my dodgy chorus post.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Richie_B »
Guitars: Fernandes ST 40, FST 125, Fernandes TEJ LTD ED and a Vortex. Chapman ML3 Pro Modern.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

I see some corrosion on a few connections there, I wonder if that might have anything to do with the shakey chorus operation?

What would be the best thing to use on a PCB to clean it?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

There are some PCB cleaning products, MJMP may be able to recommend a good one.  If there's corrosion on any of the solder joins it's probably worth reflowing them.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

first try to clean it with a small clean paintbrush.

Richie_B

I'll go get one tomorrow. Just wondering what sort of paint brush would work best, i was thinking maybe a medium density, not too soft?

Richie_B

I was looking up on youtube for clips of cleaning pcbs. I have to say that it made me cringe to see people dropping the board in the sink to clean. I dont think I would use that approach, even if it is the done thing.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

No don't do that, from what I can see it's just some kind of dust, as for the brush something not to hard.

Richie_B

Ok, so I brushed away the dust and crud but there have been no changes to the sound. There was another mp1 on ebay recently and it was local. The price was right so i contacted the seller to ask a few questions, got no reply and a few days later it was gone.

Richie_B

I took off the bottom panel today. There was dust and a very small spider web. I did also notice some marks on the left that looked like some kind of leak may have happened a long time ago. I've included a picture.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Looks quite clean to me, I've seen much worse then this
Pages: [1]   Go Up