ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Time Midi Control of MP2  (Read 3355 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Real Time Midi Control of MP2
« on: Time Format »

For those who may be interested:- I started looking into the RTM CC control of my MB1s (see MB1 section) which led onto finally sussing it out for the MP2 (never really needed it...).  Now all this is in the MP2 and MXC manuals, and my testing etc is with MXC, pedal & quad switch (standard pedal pack) So when I refer to the MXC I mean with one CC pedal in P1 jack and one quad switch in S1 jack.
There are 3 global assignments (apply to MP2 globally, thus all programs) which persist regardless of patch selected; Edit pedal (used to edit sweep-able parameters while you are editing a patch), Stereo Master Vol (Sets MP2 output volumes (main/cab sim)), Tuner Mute (toggles outputs on/off).  Each of these is assigned a continuous controller number (CC#) in the System Edit Midi menus. The defaults settings for Edit Pedal (#31) and Tuner mute (#64), Stereo Mast Vol is initially unassigned, so I assigned it to be #31 (which is the pedals default (set in the MXC)).
The MP2 also has default CC# and "slot" assignments for Tremolo (#65, SL1), Chorus (#66, SL2), Loop Status (#67, SL3) and Wah Status (#72, SL4). These are assigned on a patch by patch basis (as are the other slots (1 to 16).  If you start with one of the default patches, you'll get the default CC/slot/parrameter assignments.  This is convenient as they match with the MXC's defaults.
In my case, the CC commands are coming from the MXC which has default CC# assignments (which you can change) for it's CC pedals and switches. Again, conveniently, they match the MP2s default patch parameter assignments.
With the MXC, you need to set up the pedal pot range and the soft switch range (pedal full up and pressed).  This is particular to each pedal. So if you have 2 pedals, you need to decide which will be P1 and P2, set them and always plug them in the same jack. Instructions are in the MXC manual but one thing they didn't make clear is you have to save the calibration settings "before" you leave the edit session (eg pressing any number button drops you out and you haven't saved). So you set P1 pot range (9+5), then soft switch (pedal switch range 9+6) then save (Store 9+1 then bank up) and your done, press any number button to exit.

So you assign a CC (pedal or switch) to a Slot (S1 to 16).  You can assign an individual CC to as many slots as you like ie then all the slots it's assigned to will be affected.
A slot is one to one mapping though.  It can have one CC assigned to it (makes sense), and one parameter, so slots map the CC to a parameter. If the CC you have assigned to the slot is a switch, you can only select on/off toggle parameters for that slot.  If the CC is a pedal, you can only assign sweep-able parameters to the slot.
These RTM assignments are patch by patch. If you start with the MP2 default program it will have the default assignments. I haven't checked the factory presets, they may have various assignments, so if you copy one of those and edit, you'll need to check.

When you change to a patch, it starts with it's programed/saved parameter settings, eg chorus on.  But the LED on the quad switch (button 3, (CC66, SL2)) will be off. When you press the switch the LED will light, pressing again will turn chorus off. All toggles work like this, the patch starts as programmed, then the CC has to latch onto the parameter (if the parameter is off in the patch, pressing the assigned button will turn it on (one press), if on in patch, one press to grab it (LED lights) another press to turn off).  The sweep parameters are similar, in that you have to sweep at least equal to the patch setting to "grab it", if the pedal is assigned to multiple parameters (via multiple slots), you have to sweep to the largest which then grabs them all and sweeps them.

The MP2 also has 8 factory macros configured.  These macros "use" multiple slots (and their assigned parameters) and so do a bunch of stuff at the same time giving interesting effects (see MP2 manual).  Macros are controlled by "a" pedal only (as they are concerned with sweeping various parameters in real time at the same time).  Macros are assigned patch by patch and can only be selected (assigned to a slot) in "quick mode", you can however, view and edit them in expert mode once they are assigned to a slot. So the pedal is assigned to an "overall" slot, the macro is assigned to this slot (so pedal controls the macro), the macro is comprised of various slots and their parameters, so the pedal controls the parameters (which can all be doing different things forward and reverse).

When you assign a sweep-able parameter to a slot (in expert mode), you can change the way the parameter is affected by the pedal.  "Sense" is forward/backward Fwd = increase or fwd = decrease etc. You can also set max and min values which wont be exceeded regardless of pedal position.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up