ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 just not sounding right  (Read 2921 times)

Bazza

MP1 just not sounding right
« on: Time Format »

Hi guys can we still get the 1.38 Firmware? If so could it be installed into a 2.0. I tried putting in the Settings that were used by the 80’s hair metal bands and it sounds like crap. I watched Leon Todd’s vid on that type of tone and my MP1 sounds nothing like it. So I’m trying to find out if my one has a problem. Thanks for any advice?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP1 just not sounding right
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Bazza, I don't know anyone selling the 1.38 EPROM although I'm sure lots of people have one lying around after upgrading.  And yes you can change out your 2.0 EPROM and put in a 1.38 but that's kind of going backwards and I don't think it will fix your tone problem.  IIRC the 2.0 EPROM mostly just added more factory patches (and maybe faster program changes  :dunno: it was  long time ago I went from 1.38 to 2.0), but it still had the original set of patches and added a few more to it.  The last EPROM 2.01 lets you save to/from PC over midi connection.  None of the EPROM changes affected the tone.

It would seem something else is wrong if you can't get "close" to a similar sound.  Where did you get the patches for the 80's bands ?  Did Mr Todd say what his patch settings are ?  Does your unit sound good?

It doesn't surprise me that using someone else's patch(s) doesn't sound exactly the same but you think they'd be ball park.  Also lots of things affect the tone, guitar, pickups, how you play, how you run your rig (stereo sounds allot better than mono), Fx and how you patch them in, cabs, speakers, tubes, chorus on with depth 100 and rate 0 (nice fat short delay), trim pots etc.E.g. having a Marshall and a strat doesn't make you sound like Richie Blackmore.When I first got a MP1 I had been using my 73 Marshall 50.  The MP1 sounded heaps better and had lots of patch and volume options.  I used patch 1 Marshall as a starting point (for some patches) but then modified the patches to suit my setup.  I wasn't trying to copy anyone else's sound, I dialed in my own and tweaked them (mostly master vol changes) over time and at "stage" levels (i.e. loud).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi guys can we still get the 1.38 Firmware? If so could it be installed into a 2.0. I tried putting in the Settings that were used by the 80’s hair metal bands and it sounds like crap. I watched Leon Todd’s vid on that type of tone and my MP1 sounds nothing like it. So I’m trying to find out if my one has a problem. Thanks for any advice?

Unfortunately there are so many variables with setup to factor in.

What is your setup? Guitar > preamp > poweramp > speaker cab?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Just to add a bit more info, firmware will not alter the sound, I don't care what Michael Wagner says :lol:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Bazza

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

It’s not even in the ball park It’s mire like 3 blocks away from the park and around the corner. I am using a Washburn N4 into the MP1 into a Rocktron verlocity 100 into a Mesa 4x12 slant cab with V30’s or a Marshall DSL 20 both are sounding similar.
It should be patch 45 or the Micheal Wagner Tone
OD1 4.0
OD2 5.5
MG 7.5
Bass 12
Mid 0
Pres 12
My patch 45 is clean so I’m thinking this could be one of the updates.
If I could get something like I would be happy.
I can get some good metal tones like early Metallica and such but that 80’s metal sound is just not there for me.
I understand changing back is not worth the time or effort. I have been thinking of taking it to my tech and letting him give it a good look over I know pots and such can decay over time and maybe that could be my problem I will admit my unit had been around the block a few times.thanks again.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Did you check if your patch 45 is the same as Wagners?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

My patch 45 is clean so I’m thinking this could be one of the updates.

Oh I see, you mean with the old firmware one of the presets may be the settings you are after.

So what way is it different sounding to you about the sound you get and the sound you want?  Perhaps it is in need of a good service.  Tubes might need replacing.  I personally have never gone done the route of copying patches in an attempt to dial in the exact same tone as someone else, I've always just created my own.  It never sounds the same anyway what with all the different gear being used.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

So 1.38 firmware (EPROM) has 29 factory patches.  2.0 they added 40 more patches (total now 69) but the first 29 didn't change.  Patch 45 is Solid Jazz so don't know where the Wagner thing comes from ? unless it's one he programed and likes? Also 2.0 has patches designed for split stacks (bank 3) and also vintage split stacks (bank 6).Have you selected the right voice?  I suspect you want Distortion not Clean, 45 (being for jazz) is probably clean voice.  I've attached the release notes but they are probably in the manuals section as well?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Bazza

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Ok, the sound I’m getting is just nothing like it I would say it sounds like a cheap amp with a bad distortion pedal. Just sounds really bad which is where my confusion started with this patch and the Leon Todd videos I was thinking there could be something with my unit. I’m still thinking of letting my tech have a look at it. So this whole patch 45 seems like a internet he said she said. I’m just happy that I can ask you guys and get the real answer. I have done the whole tone chasing thing but I believe tone is in the fingers.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Well Wagner used the older firmware so that means he wasn't using a preset.  Must have been just stored on patch 45.

There is a chance that you just don't like the unit.  I have heard people saying such negative things about MP1's before.  In fact I had a thread going with some fella totally saying the units were down right garbage.  See here.

https://menga.net/obsolete-guitar-gear-ada-mp-1

@Bazza with these settings
OD1 4.0
OD2 5.5
MG 7.5
Bass 12
Mid 0
Pres 12

you have too much distortion?

also I personally never ever scoop like you have done there.  Scoop you say?  But how I have not touched the mids?  Effectively you end up with the same thing only you can drop the master volume if you have the Pres at 12 and Bass at 12.  That basically creates a big scoop in the mids as the EQ points are so high at the Bass and Pres.

I have a patch where I have everything at 0 on the EQ but like 8 on the pres.  OD1 4.4 OD2 9.5 and this would be kind of like a thrashy metal tone to me.

od1 4.4
od2 9.5
bass 0
mid 0
trebel 0
presence 8

Try this and see what it sounds like then adjust to taste.  Just as an experiment.

I noticed people on here have varying opinions on the bass using MP1's on here.  I can't explain why but DI recording I never need the bass much higher than 1 or 2.  Usually it's a 0.

When I use the MP1 on proper live rig setup i.e Power amp and Cabs I have generally had to go into the minus numbers on the bass so 1 or 2 notches below.

Can't explain why this is with every one on here, is it taste or gear?  But I personally find MP1 has excessive amount of low end on tap.  Dunno why it's needed but if I set my MP1 to 12 on the bass it would sound like mud and with the pres at 12 there would be this awful fizz poking through and nothing else.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Also Wagner used a PQ-3 in front of the mp-1, a BBE, Macintosh SS stereo power amp and and old Marshall cab. As Gerry already said, there's more into this than just the MP-1.

Bazza

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Ok, so I sent my MP1 into a local tech, he’s done work on the 4 amps I got my hands on in the last 5 years. He found a few problems, someone had disconnected the earth at some stage, I would say so it could fit into a cheap voltage step down, as they don’t have a earth pin.
The output jack was broken and cracked. Two outputs were shorting on each other. And the tube board was loose. That was in the first 5 mins of opening the unit.
He replaced all the power caps and a about 20 other caps, all the smaller caps where testing at 0. He fixed all the above problems fixed a few doggy repairs he found as he went over the unit. He has found a logic problem when you change the voicing it goes into a mute mode. Is this common or an easy fix?
I got the unit back today and it now sounds like a lot more like a MP1 then ever before.
I’m now thinking about getting the rest of the caps replaced when I have some spare money. Tax time I would say.
Pages: [1]   Go Up