ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP-1 "Marshall Mod" (MOD 1 at ADA Depot) Review?  (Read 1931 times)

DJD100

Hi all, I'm interested in the ADA MP-1 "Marshall Mod" (MOD 1)? Would anyone have any experience or advice as to the tonal result? The Mod 1 is just converting V2b to a Cathode Follower from a Gain Stage, which I assume adds some compression/feel and even harmonics?.

I owned a v2 MP-1 for 20 tears, but it was never modded.

So, I just picked up a new ADA MP-1 Channel Pedal, and I'm thinking of doing the "Marshall Mod" (MOD 1) to the pedal but would like to hear from someone who has or had a vintage MP-1 with that mod first if possible (I can do it myself as it's simple etc)?

I'm going for vintage Marshall tones (Plexi/Super Lead/JCM800 etc), and I'm using the MP-1 Channel with a Axe FX II for tube power amp and cab sims, plus FX.

Doug

P.S. The MP-1 Channel sounds great IMO!
« Last Edit: Time Format by DJD100 »

DJD100

Nobody eh, just as well as I'm not going to mod it seeing I love the Clean Channel with my custom G2 and Strats on the neck pup. Losing the gain stage would likely cripple the Clean Channel gain-wise.

Instead I've picked up a Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi for my Marshall needs, and will use the MP-1 Channel primarily for Roots and Blues now (via various Fenders).

Ciao...
« Last Edit: Time Format by DJD100 »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Doug, sorry no one answered your post.  I've never modded my preamps (MP1 or MP2) apart from cap and EPROM changes (hence I didn't reply before).  Kim posted about some of the mods describing what they do/sound like in the "mods" area.  Interesting idea to mod the MP1 ch, I don't know if the circuit they went for is identical to the MP1 or if the original MP1 mods will work quite the same way with it  :dunno: .Anyway, overtaken by events...I set up a board for the MP1 ch a while ago, so feel free to post your experiences with it in there, some members have been thinking of getting one, but they are not cheap, then ADA units never were in their day.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DJD100

Hey Doug, sorry no one answered your post.  I've never modded my preamps (MP1 or MP2) apart from cap and EPROM changes (hence I didn't reply before).  Kim posted about some of the mods describing what they do/sound like in the "mods" area.  Interesting idea to mod the MP1 ch, I don't know if the circuit they went for is identical to the MP1 or if the original MP1 mods will work quite the same way with it  :dunno: .Anyway, overtaken by events...I set up a board for the MP1 ch a while ago, so feel free to post your experiences with it in there, some members have been thinking of getting one, but they are not cheap, then ADA units never were in their day.

Hi, the tube circuit is identical according to David, and I confirmed that MP-1 Channel's V2 is setup the same as the MP-1 schematic I have, and that was the only stage I was going to mod.

I'm sure the Cathode Follower mod would be great for the distortion channel, but the clean channel will lose gain as well with that mod, so I'm not going to bother as I have picked up a Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi tube preamp for my Marshall needs.

Going forward I will use the ADA MP-1 Channel primarily for it's clean channel, hence I need the gain from it being unmodded.

I am loving the MP-1 Channel, sounds just like my old MP-1 minus the solid state channel and chorus, good deal!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Cool, glad you got your needs sorted  :thumb-up: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up