ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tremsetters, Black Boxes, Tremol-No´s, etc...  (Read 22641 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Tremsetters, Black Boxes, Tremol-No´s, etc...
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Well this one just gives you a stop spot to return from down b*mb/trem. It will prevent up trem as is a fixed spot. The one SC posted also allows up trem and I suspect needs the main trem springs to be tensioned a bit more more once the central position is set, neat idea I thought and the tremsetter works for both up down trem (and I can attest works very well (over many years)) and no noise from the springs LoL.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Just had another look at the pic (larger), it's much the same idea as the one SC posted so you can do up trem with it. So I assume to fit either of these, you tune and get the centre spot right, wind the stop until it touches block, tighten main trem springs screws a little (1/8th - 1/4 turn ? this holds the trem block against the stop, but not too much to depress the block spring).

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

still don't under stand these things but it seems they are all over the place in various guises

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281376273300?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had one in a guitar, a Strat. It worked. Right now, I use a wood block in one, and a stack of picks held in with duct tape on the other  :poop:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Ahh duct tape (gaph tape, and Nashua make the best, you can build a house with it.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Okay, I've read this topic and now I'll add my two cents.

First, I noticed RG said he can't pull up on his Strat because there is no cutout on the body for the  baseplate of the tremolo. There was never supposed to be a cutout. A stock Strat bridge should float, all of mine do. The way I set up my Strats, is to align the bottom part of the stamped saddles parallel to the top of the guitar body. This allows me to pull up on the bar and raise the pitch of my G string a natural 3rd.
The Tremsetter would be handy if I broke a string in the middle of a song during a gig. As anyone with a floating tremolo knows, when that happens, the other five strings are now completely out of tune, i.e. total sonic disaster! The Tremsetter keeps the bridge centered and stops this from happening. The drawback to the Tremsetter is that it only works in one direction. So to achieve a true zero centered bridge lock, you would have to use two of them, in opposed settings. ( Steve Vai does this on his primary Jem guitar ) This also applies to all Floyd Rose Tremolos and respective licensed copies.

As for the Graphtech nuts Systematic Chaos mentioned, Sorry Bro, I don't like graphite nuts at all, they are tone-killers on my strats. Bone, Brass, or LSR is all I go with on my guitars. As with all guitars that are tremolo equipped, there will be tuning issues, but you can beat them. I have minimal tuning issues with my Strats, but that's because parts eventually wear and need to be upgraded. I'm going to be upgrading components on all three of my USA Strats, and Modding my MIK guitars. I'll be posting the mods and the results in a new thread as I complete them.
Harley
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

El Chiguete

« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

... The drawback to the Tremsetter is that it only works in one direction. So to achieve a true zero centered bridge lock, you would have to use two of them, in opposed settings. ( Steve Vai does this on his primary Jem guitar ) This also applies to all Floyd Rose Tremolos and respective licensed copies.

Can you post a pic of that double/opposite instalation on Vai's guitar? Never seen that.  :dunno:
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hey EC,
I'll see if I can get a rear view shot of Steve's EVO guitar. That's the one he has two of them on. It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I think he had a bit of the body routed out to fit the 2nd Tremsetter. He has them both hooked into the same spring hole on the block, they're just pushing in opposite directions.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Good to have you back in here, Harley  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

The hipshot tremsetter I use has 2 springs, one for up return and one for down. Unfortunately it doesn't stay in tune when you pop a string (generally I pop D strings), the other 2 types SC posted "may" stay in tune ?. Strat whammy bridges are supposed to be floating by letting the springs off and allowing the bridge to then "float" at an angle to the top (less spring more float angle but careful how much) and generally you need to loosen the 6 bridge screws a little to allow for the movement (you'll also notice the front underneath of the bridge is beveled at an angle to where the 6 screw holes start to allow for down bend).  Of course many just set it to only down bend and tighten the springs so it comes back flat with the top (more reliable approach). So apart from the nut catching strings (more the wound strings), the 6 bridge screws also aren't super smooth and also catch. Then once the bridge is raised at an angle, often (mostly) you have to shim the front of the neck to get the action down. Thus later strats had the 3 bolt system for the neck with the centre/front bolt adjusting the neck angle (adjustable shim). But these are cursed with easy sideways movement of the neck (a known issue of the day, IIRC they fixed it later by putting back the other 2 screws but keeping the centre adjusting screw). This also cuts down the vibration transfer from neck to body (typically not desirable).

I recall the first PRS in Australia ($6k and that was way back), it's the only strat style bridge I've come across that ever worked reasonably well, it also had locking machine heads (first I'd seen them) and a graphite nut.

I put a Ghoto trem on my tele, had fine tuners and a locking nut, 2 bolt knife edge, it's a while ago and I think I had it come back flat with the top ?. Since then I copied my Anderson's routing and put on a fully floating FR which you can get down to the correct height for action and not have to tilt the neck.

El Chiguete

« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Hey EC,
I'll see if I can get a rear view shot of Steve's EVO guitar. That's the one he has two of them on. It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I think he had a bit of the body routed out to fit the 2nd Tremsetter. He has them both hooked into the same spring hole on the block, they're just pushing in opposite directions.

Are you talking about this? Are they actually pushing in different directions?

Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Hey El, it's like putting 2 of the ones SC posted in, the main springs bring the block onto the stops (that sets centre), if you pull up the springs in the setters bring it back. The Hipshot combines both, does it work as well ???, I'm happy with mine  >:D

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Okay, I've read this topic and now I'll add my two cents.

First, I noticed RG said he can't pull up on his Strat because there is no cutout on the body for the  baseplate of the tremolo. There was never supposed to be a cutout. A stock Strat bridge should float, all of mine do.

Yes, I didn't say it was weird that I couldn't pull up, I understand why.  I just said I couldn't pull up because there is no cut out section like say on a "superstrat guitar".  Unless the strat has specifically had the routing done to it for a custom model or something or signature model may be.  I also was not talking about "stock Strat"  or should I say a standard strat with a vintage trem installed (since you can buy a stock strat with an FR installed) I was talking about strats with floyd rose style trems fitted.

So my thinking was perhaps a good candidate to fit one of these trem setter devices to might be one of my stratocasters because they do no allow for up bend anyways so therefore I'm not losing out on any functionality on a guitar if I fit one. 

But in all honesty I am failing to see the need for them at all. 
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, if your trem comes back flat with the top then they are of little use to you (depending on your main spring tensions). If you have your main string tensions tight (ish), then it will come back to the top and that's your "zero" point. If when you bend notes it pulls the bridge up, then either tighten main strings (heavier trem/bend action) or a tremsetter would help (but they also increase the feel/presure required on the whammy bar as it's much the same thing (adding tremsetter springs in the mix) and in the end I suspect much the same result. The various tremsetters are designed for floating bridges. Having 2 like the SV pic is (to me) just adding extra force. What you want is the bridge to come back to its zero point from either an up trem or down trem. If your guitar routing doesn't allow for up trem, then just adjust the main springs to pull it back flat to/on the top and not raise too much (or at all) when you increase tension (bend notes).

If your routing allows for up trem, then the tremstters can help.  With Strats, they are designed to be floating (but not a great design...). so the bridge sits at an angle to the top. To get the action reasonable, you have to (significantly) lower the string saddles and also change the neck angle (shim the front (slivers of old credit card(s) works..)).

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Wow, I waited too long to get back to this thread, there's a lot of different replies to address!
First, let me share a few tricks I've picked up over the years about the vintage Strat tremolo and the best results I've been able to get. Richard, Yes, the six screws will catch after time because they wear from the pressure and friction of the bridge fulcrum points. Those are cheap and easy to replace, so when they bind, it's time to change them.

Now this is very important to the performance of the tremolo, when you set these screws for the bridge action, what you need to do is have the strings off the guitar so the base plate is hard against the body. Then, tighten the six screws down until the bottom of the screw heads are flat onto the base plate. At this point, you want to check the base plate and be sure you are not raising it off the body, that would mean one or more are too tight. Now, back off the four center screws a half turn. this should clear the screw heads from the top of the base plate. Make sure the two outer screws are still flush with the top of the base plate. This is the way to get the best performance from the Vintage Strat tremolo bridge. Now string up your guitar, and bring the tension up so you can set the angle of the bridge. I adjust the spring claw to get mine where I want them. With the vintage stamped saddles, I use the bottom of the saddle on my top "E" string as a visual reference, and when I see that part of the bridge is parallel with the top of the guitar body, with the guitar in tune, then I know I'm set.

As Richard mentioned, the nut is also a problematic area for stock Strats. The tuning machines are also another contributor to this nuisance, and depending on what type of tuning machines your guitar is equipped with, the string trees can also contribute to this. Here is how I solved this issue:
For a nut that catches the string(s), I first make sure that the string groove is clean and clear of debris. (This is assuming that you've had the nut overhauled, and the grooves are filed clean and smooth, and not factory rough cut!) I went to a music store where horns and woodwinds are sold, and bought a bottle of Selmer Cork Grease. This is not the wax stick, this is a bottle of liquid grease. When I change strings, I clean the nut grooves out with an old toothbrush, and a little of the guitar polish. A can of compressed air, will blow out anything that's still in the nut groove after I scrub it out. Re-string your guitar and bring the tuning up. After the guitar is tuned, lift each string out of the nut groove, one at a time, and add a tiny drop of this Cork Grease in the groove, and then place the string back in the groove. I use this technique on my Seafoam Green Strat, because it's the only one I still have a bone nut in it. It also has the original Vintage Kluson tuning machines on it, (I'm going to address the tuning machines next). I can dive b*mb that guitar, pull up harmonic bends, and go toe to toe with any guitar that has a Floyd on it! This little trick really stops the nut-binding!
Now, the tuning machines...here is an area that really makes a difference in the tuning stability. Locking tuners are fine, depending on the style you have in. I have locking tuners on two of my USA Strats, (1983 57' RI, and 1980 "STRAT"). The 57'RI, has Gotoh Vintage Retrofit locking tuners, which worked fine when they were new. I had these installed in 1993 when I first bought this guitar, because two of the tuners were broken at the split shaft when I saw it in the store. Now they are worn and aren't really holding the tuning as stable as they once did. I'm going to replace these with the original vintage Kluson style tuning machines. Yes, they work as well as locking tuners if you cut the string to the correct length, and install them the way they were designed. When I'm re-stringing these tuners, I pull the string through the bridge and hold it at dead stop, then I press the string over the bridge saddle, to put a bend in there where it will rest when in tune. This helps stop the slack string from slipping back into the bridge while I'm cutting the length on the other end. Pull the string past the post it's going to go into, 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" inch. (heavier strings 1-1/2", plain strings, 1-1/4"), and cut there. Insert the cut end of the string into the post all the way down until it stops. Then bend the string out the side of the post and hold it there with the tip of your finger, as you wind the string up to tension. Slip the string into the nut groove and under the string tree, (if it has one), and tune it up. Repeat this with each string. When the guitar is tuned to the desired pitch, stretch the strings. I use a Fender String Stretcher, it works great! This is the way to set up the vintage style tuners and they will work as well as locking tuners, no kidding!
The other issue is the String Trees. I replaced the original "T" style String Trees on the 57'RI with Ezyglide String Trees. These work great if you have locking tuners that have the same height string posts. They won't bind. If your locking tuners have staggered posts like Sperzel Tuners that I have on my 1980 "STRAT," then don't use String Trees at all. I don't know why, but they mess with the tuning.
I hope these tips help you guys who still struggle with the vintage stock trems on your Strats. It's really made a world of difference with me.

RG, I agree with you on the Strats with the Floyds already installed. There is no need to have a Tremsetter on those. They make them like that because this is how EVH has his guitars set up. The only advantage to that is if you break a string, the rest of your strings won't detune because of it.

EC, Not that style Tremsetter. THe ones Steve has are top mount in the Tremolo cavity, and have a hook that inserts in the spring hole on the block. Steve's guitar doesn't have the center spring, that is where one of the Tremsetters is mounted, and the other one is hooked into the same hole, but the back of the guitar body is routed with a groove, past the opening for the block, where he has the other one mounted. I  don't know how he has these adjusted, so I I didn't give it too much consideration for any of my guitars.

Richard, The 3- bolt design is actually a very good idea. What screwed that up was at the time, Fender was owned by CBS who was all about the money. The more guitars they built in a month on their production schedules the sloppier the workmanship. They didn't mind sacrificing quality for numbers. 1979 was the worst year for this. It was the highest volume production year for Stratocasters, but also, it was the year that more guitars were returned to the factory from the music store dealers to have that neck pocket issue corrected. Leo Fender had a very good design there, his idea was sound. Corporate greed got in the way of it!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, great tips  :thumb-up: I like the string grease idea. You could also use teflon (I have some for my push bike wheel hubs and chain so got it from a bike store). Though my 2 guitars with (working) trems (Anderson, profile Tele) both have FR with a Hipshot tremsetter. I find the trem setter on a FR gives better bridge stability, not so much about returning to "zero", that wasn't a problem but significantly less detune of other strings when bending and reduced "flutter" when I belt them ( >:D ), as Angry Anderson (Rose Tattoo) puts it, no one attacks a guitar quite like an Australian  >:D . CBS were not good for strats.... IIRC that's when schecter started making decent custom versions (and Tom Anderson was one their R&D guys), I have one of the first couple he made when he set up on his own (a red Pro Am) and the first in Oz. I've not played a better guitar yet.  I loved the JP Les Paul when I bough it (and still do) but it's no where near as good as the Pro Am.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up