News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NPD  (Read 4422 times)

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
NPD
« on: Time Format »

I finally started vacation today, after catching up on a bit of housework that I was falling behind on, and doing some recording, I finally got around to installing some new pickups that I have had for awhile in one of my guitars.   It had a Duncan '59 in and a JB, and I replaced it them with a Duncan '59 and TB-11 Custom Custom.  Okay, replacing a '59 with a '59 might sound odd at first, but...

When replacing them, I decided to go Zebra and change to a creme mounting ring instead of the all black ring and pickups.  Also, since replacing the mounting rings, pickups, and basically redoing all of the electrons, I decided to put in a couple of the the Duncan Triple Shot mounting rings, so I needed to replace the 2 conductor '59 with a 4 conductor '59 anyway.

It turned out to be an all evening project for me, but everything turned out in the end (Even though I am pretty sure I have a couple of bad solder joints that will need to be redone eventually).

I am *really* happy with the sound and tone variations I can get out of this setup.  On high gain settings, all the pickup switching in the Triple Shots don't seem to come out, but on clean and bluesy setups, it is *very* nice!

And I definitely like the Custom Custom far more over the JB.   I *really* tried to like the JB, I have tried them a couple of times, but I can never dial in a sound that I like with them.  And I know they sound good, I have heard a lot of great sounds from other players that use them, they just don't seem to work for me at all.  Maybe it's the guitars I use, and they're just not a good match.  The Custom Custom just seems to work better for me.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: NPD
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Zilthy, very nice  :thumb-up: I like the cream and the zebra with the silver FR, now what guitar is it ?? not often you see a FR on a LP (ish) guit (cute inlays BTW).
I'm with you on the SD JB, I've got one (and alnico neck) in the cupboard, I tried them in my Epiphone SG (mostly coz the Epiphone PUs seemed a bit microphonic, apart from that I loved them...), the JB/Alnico were ok ish but didn't excite/do it for me. So I went with 2 Gibson 57 re-issues, nice PUs IMHO, much better and more distinctive (thus the JB and Alnico are still in the cupboard...).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

It's a Daisy Rock Rock Candy Extreme.  I actually have two other Rock Candy guitars, and this one is quite different from those two.  My other are much lighter (about 5lbs compared to this one at 7lbs), they have fixed bridges (one strings through the body and the other strings through that piece behind the bridge in a more typical tune-o-matic LP fashion) and they have sycamore bodies and bolt on necks.

The Extreme has a set neck and mahogany body, but it is much thinner than a real LP, more like the thickness of an SG making it lighter, even though it is heavier than the other Daisy Rock models.  It's neck radius is also much flatter and bigger frets. 

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Nice  :thumb-up: , a friend bought over a couple of his guitars the other day, I set one of his LPs up for him, one of the newer budget models, but he also has an Epiphone LP standard with a FR, I haven't set that up for him yet but will soon. I put a fully floating FR on my Profile Tele a long time ago (copied the routing from my Anderson Pro Am), the block (where springs attach) used to poke out the back a bit so I found a shorter brass version which has fixed it (also added some saddle shims to accommodate the sharper neck radius, and I was wondering why such a deep block, ahh so works with LPs which are quite thick (1 1/2" Mahogany with 1/2 inch Maple carved on top).

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

A bit of a shameful confession here, this video is what actually kicked me over the edge in to buying/ordering this guitar in the first place.  I just *had* to have a black LP style with the white binding after seeing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvmlcHZutEA

Although, I will admit that I was extremely high on morphine after surgery at the time when I actually did order it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Wow, the 80s, I remember  :metal: I was 23 back then. How's the high heels the guitarist is waring LOL. Nice LP, I notice he has the same issue as me playing in 19th position, you just can't get your 4th finger in there. My 2nd ever guitar was a 2nd hand black Navarra LP copy with gold hardware (I was 14 ish so 1974). I think Navarra turned into Ibenez ?, great guitar, bolt on neck, only guitar I ever sold (many years later and now totally regret).
Pages: [1]   Go Up