ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Switchless Wahs  (Read 13046 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Switchless Wahs
« on: Time Format »

I'm familiar with the switchless type wah, and actually greatly prefer it.  However, I'd like a chance to try the 95q myself because sometimes the Morley wah I have just doesn't feel like it should in terms of sound.

Kick ass vid, SamuraiP!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Switchless Wahs
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Kim,

You must have the same one I do, the first model. The second version of the Bad Horsie has a knob on it to adjust the filter.
   I might like to try the Dunlop out just because I never really liked the footprint of Morley wah pedals.
   By the way, the Morley uses an optical switch to detect motion as opposed to a pressure switch. I'm on my 2nd one, since no one around here would work on those. That poses a question in my mind about the Dunlop pedal. The most frequent problem I have with Dunlop and Vox pedals is the foot pad will eventually start to peel up. Since that's where the pressure switch is, I wonder if that will cause a problem with the pedal?

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Harley, I have the Mark Tremonti wah.   No external adjustment for filter or Q. 
If I knew my local Guitar Center had a 95Q to try out, I'd actually go in there for something useful....   ::)

Samuraipanda

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I have both the 95Q and the Bad Horsie II. The Dunlop has a very brief lag when you take your foot off. There's supposed to be a hack for it but I've never called Dunlop to learn it. The Bad Horsie sounds a bit thinner to me even with the filter turned all the way down, but it is a more aggressive wah and when pinned all the way forward has a great sweet spot for pinch harmonics, etc.

If you listen to the ADA Minor Blues Jam you can hear a good example of the Bad Horsie in the 2nd half of my solo.

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I wonder if that Dunlop has an adjustable trumpet ("trumpet"?  Really?  Stupid autocorrect on my phone. I got your adjustable trumpet right here. >:(  That's trimpot...) inside for the "foot off delay" like the Morley does?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

Samuraipanda

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

It doesn't have a switch or adjustment for that but I've researched and read that Dunlop techs will tell you how to bypass the delay if you call them. I just haven't ever taken the time to.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Kim,

What is the knob for on that wah then?

Panda,

Yeah, Bad Horsie does have a thin sound to it, but that is built to Steve Vai's specs. It's useful for some things that involve humbuckers, but not so great with single coils.

I also have an Ibanez Weeping Demon wah pedal, which is fully adjustable in every sense, and has a great effects range to it, but the downside is that is isn't true bypass, and there is a definite difference to your sound when it's bypassed. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

That there knob is a Boost when the wah is on.  Definitely want that all the way down if wah'ing Clean stuff.  I've experimented up an down all over with that knob and best for me is just keep it about 50%.   The wah itself works pretty good up on the meedley meedley strings, but not so good on the chugga chugga strings....

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

That there knob is a Boost when the wah is on.  Definitely want that all the way down if wah'ing Clean stuff.  I've experimented up an down all over with that knob and best for me is just keep it about 50%.   The wah itself works pretty good up on the meedley meedley strings, but not so good on the chugga chugga strings....

Too mushy?

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Too mushy?

Just not really all that noticeable of an effect down there, if that makes any sense.  :dunno:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Too mushy?

Just not really all that noticeable of an effect down there, if that makes any sense.  :dunno:

Yes it does, it's more of a 'woofer' than a wah in the low end. Anyone remember the old DeArmond Woofer pedal?  I've been thinking about trying out the John Petrucci Signature wah.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Doesn't John use a rack wah?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

John's rig is always changing. Dunlop made a pedal for him that has the sound he uses already dialed in, (JP-95), that is available to the public if you don't want the DCR-25R rack unit. For some reason, John had the guts of this put back in a rack case, and the foot pedal is now a controller for that. Weird :crazy:

Check it out:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

So essentially he's still using a rack wah  ;D

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I've been thinking about trying out the John Petrucci Signature wah.

Here we go:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up