ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: who uses a compresor with distorted tones?  (Read 11876 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: who uses a compresor with distorted tones?
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

In answer to your question -  who uses a compresor with distorted tones?

I do. I'm not famous (except in my own mind, and hey, that's all that really matters)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, well you pretty famous in our minds  :thumb-up: . And compressors can be quite useful depending what tone you are wanting. Compression was/is a big part of the RockMan sound.

@RG, the FM curves (a graphical representation of how our/your ears perceives sound at various volumes/amplitudes (sound pressure levels (SPL))) demonstrate that at low levels of amplitude, so even though the sound is balanced (equal amplitude frequency wise) your ear hears (perceives) bass and treb as less than the mids. The curves flatten out at 98db (where all is good and all the frequencies are perceived (by your ears) equally), when you go louder (like most rock bands  >:D ~120db or more), the curves reverse and (same signal/frequencies just more amplitude) your ears think the bass and treb are louder (comparatively). So the loudness button on hi fi amps boost bass and treb for lower level/amplitude listening. At high vols you have to adjust accordingly...

@El yeah taming the feedback and the noise is a skill, part of leaning how to play back then  >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

In answer to your question -  who uses a compresor with distorted tones?

I do. I'm not famous (except in my own mind, and hey, that's all that really matters)

Dante give us a run down of your compression use.

Do you use it to soften the feel?  Or to add a little more distortion pushing the front going into the pre?  Or to help sustain?

I'd say 9/10 I only use compression to change the feel, and along with that I probably get more sustain to but it's all about the spongey liquid feel for me with everything.  Its integral that I get that to play the way I want.  I do a lot of legato (I think I do hahaha)  and I need the feel so as the notes are heard without me having to pick eveyrthing  :banana-guitar:

I've an even more mental question for folks!  Does anyone use a limiter playing any guitar?  I have one on my FX unit and I never know why anyone would use it.  Bass players yes by guitarists..................hmmmmmm I dunno.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, well limiters have their uses but I wouldn't use one on guitar, although if you need to limit the input to the next device so you don't blow it out you could use one (bad gain structure though  :facepalm: ).  We used to (and I'm sure they still do) use a peak limiters on the pa output so we didn't blow speakers (well I didn't, it's an excuse (in some ways) for not so great gain structure etc), but often used to make sure the guys mixing other bands don't blow your speakers, and as I like to run some headroom in the power amps.... they could do it.
So a peak limiter or limiter is just a compressor with a very high ratio, I personally call 8:1 compression peak limiting, but limiters are generally much higher ratios than that (extreme 100:1) (so for every 100 units of gain change, squish it to 1).  With a limiter you adjust the threshold at the spot you want to limit at. To do more normal compression, you adjust the threshold lower to include all the signal you want to squish.
I use a little compression on my MP2 clean sounds, for much the same reason you do, spongy/liquid and take some of the bight off, and the attack transients in these preamps are out there... they have so much gain, and when it's clean.. I don't use it on distorted tones, but then they are being tamed a bit by the tubes (not strictly compression but very similar effect).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Yeah I can't understand why its on my FX pedal to be honest.

I have never used it.

I know some people who say limiting is 4.1 and beyond never mind  8.1!!!!!!

I got some great limiting adice from this:

http://productionadvice.co.uk/using-compression/  not really use to you El sorry  :dunno:

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I only a comp on my clean patches,actually 2 comps,one to comp the guitar signal (the one in the MP-2)and one after the mp-2 from the G force.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, good article on using compression  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, good article on using compression  :thumb-up:

I think so also Richard.  And another thing that the author states is about not using too much in all walks of life.  I can't help feel though in the audio production world though to many people are blasting great mixes to shred with f**king limiters.  f**king Loudness wars really needs to go away.  It got stale ten years ago.

But yes I read that article from time to time to refresh thing in my head.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Dante give us a run down of your compression use.

Do you use it to soften the feel?  Or to add a little more distortion pushing the front going into the pre?  Or to help sustain?

I'd say 9/10 I only use compression to change the feel, and along with that I probably get more sustain to but it's all about the spongey liquid feel for me with everything.  Its integral that I get that to play the way I want.  I do a lot of legato (I think I do hahaha)  and I need the feel so as the notes are heard without me having to pick eveyrthing 

I use a compressor to tighten up clean patches, but as for distorted stuff, it does feel a bit softer on the edges. I use it for more over-the-top processed sounding distortions. I guess a Rockman sound is pretty accurate, it has a silky smoothness to it and I do play it differently. I usually have at least one patch of compressed clean and one compressed crunch in every bank. (I use a bank of patches for each guitar)

It definitely helps if my picking attack varies in a part, evens out the volumes of the notes. I don't much use it for sustain, more for a little smooth edge. Back in the day, I used to stack my gain using a compressor, overdrive, and EQ pedal.

Lately, I've been using a compressor after the distortion in Amplitube, just to give it a boost and to even out the signal
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the article was a good reminder for when compression can be useful and some good tips (rules of thumb). I agree, they have been overused and abused it the quest for the "loudest" CD. I try to keep as much of the original dynamics as I can which tends to mean riding the faders a bit, particularly mixing live.  While I agree with the guy that they have their place, they can also lead to lazy mixing (like many a live gig I've been to over the years).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up